hf1

WAHM Mei Tai - how much?

My avatar
queen bee
Sucker for Cloth Nappies
Sucker for Cloth Nappies

WAHM Mei Tai - how much?

Postby queen bee » Wed Aug 26, 2009 9:11 pm

I made a mei tai for myself a few months ago and since then I've had a number of people (mainly friends) ask me to make one for them. I'm happy to do this in small numbers but I don't know how much to charge. I need your honest opinions about how much I should ask. I want to make it affordable to anyone (I couldn't afford the expensive babyhawks etc that's why I sewed one for myself), but obviously I need to cover the cost of the fabric, plus the time it takes me to make (3-4 hours to cut out then sew).
How much would you pay for this? (I'm not after orders, just opinions) :wink:

Thanks
Kelly

My avatar
Annette
Cloth Nappy Ninky Nonk
Cloth Nappy Ninky Nonk

Re: WAHM Mei Tai - how much?

Postby Annette » Thu Aug 27, 2009 9:57 am

I would be tempted to say something like £35 maybe. I would certainly pay that for it, they look very nice.

Just a word of warning, if you are just selling them to friends then that is alright but watch out as you would probably want to look into insurance if you start selling to people you don't know.....people are going to be carrying babies in them and if there is a fault of some kind. Just wouldn't want you to get sued :-?

My avatar
rachel
Cloth Nappy Passionata
Cloth Nappy Passionata

Postby rachel » Thu Aug 27, 2009 10:28 am

That's really nice Kelly. I think what Annette said is a reasonable price. I would pay that. Good luck with your new venture :D

My avatar
weefywoo
Cloth Nappy Passionata
Cloth Nappy Passionata

Postby weefywoo » Thu Aug 27, 2009 10:31 am

Yes the amount Annette said is reasonable i would pay that for something custom made :D the Mei Tai looks fab

My avatar
Allie
Cloth Nappy Clanger
Cloth Nappy Clanger
Thankyou Moderators :)

Postby Allie » Thu Aug 27, 2009 10:32 am

I paid £35 including postage for my WAHM mei tai and I think that was very reasonable. I don't think I'd pay much more unless it was pretty special.

Good luck :D

My avatar
queen bee
Sucker for Cloth Nappies
Sucker for Cloth Nappies

Postby queen bee » Thu Aug 27, 2009 6:41 pm

Thanks for your input ladies. That's really helpful.
Kelly x

My avatar
queen bee
Sucker for Cloth Nappies
Sucker for Cloth Nappies

Postby queen bee » Thu Aug 27, 2009 6:55 pm

Annette wrote:I would be tempted to say something like £35 maybe. I would certainly pay that for it, they look very nice.

Just a word of warning, if you are just selling them to friends then that is alright but watch out as you would probably want to look into insurance if you start selling to people you don't know.....people are going to be carrying babies in them and if there is a fault of some kind. Just wouldn't want you to get sued :-?

Great point about the insurance Annette. So far I've only made a few mei tais and wrap slings fas a favour for friends so I should be ok.
Thanks
Kelly

Return to Wahm grapevine