hf1

Newbie help?

My avatar
Frances
Cloth Nappy Wise Woman
Cloth Nappy Wise Woman

Re: Newbie help?

Postby Frances » Thu Sep 03, 2009 7:18 pm

Stacey, I don't know anything about Working Tax Credits, but it might be worth looking into them, and finding out how much you'd be entitled to if you became a WAHM.

My avatar
dawnsmummy
Cloth Nappy Ninky Nonk
Cloth Nappy Ninky Nonk

Postby dawnsmummy » Thu Sep 03, 2009 7:20 pm

Frances - I'm hoping to go back to work after new year, depending on how me and OH are, as we're talking about moving in together. We couldn't afford to live together on one wage really so I'd have to do a few hours a week. The initial set up of starting to be a WAHM scares me if I'm honest :shock:

My avatar
babyroo
Cloth Nappy Goddess
Cloth Nappy Goddess

Postby babyroo » Thu Sep 03, 2009 7:35 pm

dawnsmummy wrote:
babyroo wrote:
dawnsmummy wrote:Because of how little I'll be selling, realistically, I'm tempted to just offer fabric up on the for sale boards. Kinda post a photo of the fleece and say, right, selling a soaker made of this, who wants it, let me know what size and I'll make it, kinda thing. Then I only have to make them when I have time to etc, especially as I'm thinking of going back to work after the new year. Do you think I'd be allowed to do that?

I think you would still need to inform them

How very silly. The time it takes the job centre to work anything out too! :evil: One week I might sell 1 soaker, the next I might sell 6 or 7. How would they work it out I wonder? :-?

I agree it might be difficult to estimate how much you will earn (as it is for all WAHMs), but I do think that if you want to make things specifically to sell them then you do need to be upfront with benefits people and inland revenue, and the volume of what you do doesn't really matter.

Initially I guess they would ask you to make an estimate of how much you will earn, but then you would have to keep records of your income and expenses to submit a tax return.

I don't know how the benefits side works, but for tax credits I have to estimate (guess!) my income for the year, and then give actual figures once I've done the tax return.

My avatar
dawnsmummy
Cloth Nappy Ninky Nonk
Cloth Nappy Ninky Nonk

Postby dawnsmummy » Thu Sep 03, 2009 7:44 pm

Thanks Ali. It's a lot more complicated than I thought! Maybe something to look into properly once I'm back at work and such, because then I just have to declair it to the tax man and not to all the idiots at the job center! :evil: I'll stick to making them as gifts for people... if they want to donate a little to my longies fund because of my gift then... :giggle:

My avatar
Velvetsteph
Cloth Nappy Clanger
Cloth Nappy Clanger

Postby Velvetsteph » Thu Sep 03, 2009 9:50 pm

dawnsmummy wrote: I'll stick to making them as gifts for people... if they want to donate a little to my longies fund because of my gift then... :giggle:

Hmmm I'm not sure the tax credits fraud people would look very kindly on that :nono: :nono:

Seriously - if you want to set up a business doing it properly then yes go for it I'm sure there's lots of ladies on here (as already demonstrated) interested but honestly don't try and hide it!

It might not affect your benefits much if you admit it to them, but if you're caught without admitting then you would be in trouble and it's not like a cash in hand job where no-one would realise, it's very public selling online and there's a money trail... :? :? :?

Jan and Karen (JanX and Karenandgeorgia) would be the best placed people to answer your questions I think...

dawnsmummy wrote:The initial set up of starting to be a WAHM scares me if I'm honest :shock:
It scares me - I thought about it a while back but there is SO much work involved for so little reward sometimes :? :(

My avatar
dawnsmummy
Cloth Nappy Ninky Nonk
Cloth Nappy Ninky Nonk

Postby dawnsmummy » Thu Sep 03, 2009 10:31 pm

Velvetsteph wrote:
dawnsmummy wrote:The initial set up of starting to be a WAHM scares me if I'm honest :shock:
It scares me - I thought about it a while back but there is SO much work involved for so little reward sometimes :? :(

I'm just going to offer them to friends I think. TBH I'm not sure if I'd be able to keep up with proper orders, if that makes sense. I don't mind making them for friends, as I can basically tell them, "Buy me the materials and send me them and I'll do it." I won't make any money from it, but I also won't get into trouble for selling things etc. That's what my friend's done for some fleece soakers from me. She basically just sent me a pile of fleece she liked and traded me some of her unused terry squares as payment for time.

Plus it'll be nice to see their kids little faces if they like it :) And give me more sewing practice for if I ever take the plunge and become a WAHM. Or if I get a job in a sewing shop :giggle:

Previous

Return to Wahm grapevine