Would you use it??

My avatar
greenferret
Sucker for Cloth Nappies
Sucker for Cloth Nappies

Would you use it??

Postby greenferret » Tue Sep 08, 2009 12:36 pm

:idea: everyone!

Just a quick question really :) . I am in the process of researching setting up a high street shop. Hoping to sell cloth nappies (big brands and wahms that are interested) and also a few woolies/bits of clothing and related 'green' products. We have nothing at all like this in our area, so I would be the only retailer of this kind and I'm hoping to get the backing of the local councils too. Would really just like to know if a) there are any of this type of shops in your area and are they successful and b) would you use a bricks and mortar shop for fluff shopping??

Thanks for any feedback, positive or negative :D

My avatar
vampiredreams
Cloth Nappy Fanatic
Cloth Nappy Fanatic

Re: Would you use it??

Postby vampiredreams » Tue Sep 08, 2009 1:07 pm

We have nothing like this where I am but by golly I wish they did :cry:

It would be so much nicer to look at and actually feel the product before you buy it because I am fiinding that when you start out you have no clue and make some very silly mistakes but learn from them...would be nice to share in the knowledge to other new 1st time cloth parents

My avatar
beffys
Cloth Nappy Disciple
Cloth Nappy Disciple

Postby beffys » Tue Sep 08, 2009 1:28 pm

I'd love to be able to shop for nappies on the high street. I think you need to have a big enough population where it's going to work and also be able to network well so the right mums know you're there. It would be great to see nappies IRL before buying and compare different brands and sizes. You can still have an online presence and shop depending on the system you use, but I think you'd have to be competitive enough where the price was just as good buying in a shop to buying online, then you have different overheads and running costs to consider. I know price and customer service would be priorities for me. I don't know of a shop anywhere like this and I live in a big city. The only thing I've seen is some tots bots in ap sho window once, which is kind of sad that that's the closest amazing cloth nappies get to the high street beyond boots and mothercare's weak attempts at cloth stocks. The other thing is about accessibility and making people much more aware of why cloth is a far superior solution. I think people cringe at the up front cost, but I see it that I'd rather make that investment, gradually built up my stash, than burn money away on disposables. The other thing that would be nice is going to get a nappy and getting it right NOW at your own convenience, so not having to stalk the postman. :D It would depend as well what brand of nappies, etc as I have certain brands I like. The model of getting batches of wholesale custom instock orders, as well as more commericalised brands might work well.

My avatar
Soupdragon
Cloth Nappy Worshipper
Cloth Nappy Worshipper

Postby Soupdragon » Tue Sep 08, 2009 1:44 pm

I'm not sure how easily cloth would be to sell on the average high street. I've certainly seen cloth in bricks and mortar stores (Toys R Us and Mothercare) but they're always the big (boring! :giggle: ) brands - TB and BG. I'm not sure what the market would be - who you'd be targeting as customers? As a newbie to cloth I would have liked being able to talk to someone about the different cloth options and playing with different nappies. But I don't know that that translates into a bricks and mortar store; you need time to sit down and go through those. As I started to get more confident about cloth and recognise different brands, I'd only have bought online. I figure that a retailer ITRW has overhead costs that I don't want to pay and that I can get the same products cheaper online (I think this way about most things!). As an old-hand at this cloth malarky now :giggle: I prefer WAHM made nappies (they're more than 95% of my stash), so wouldn't buy from a bricks and mortar store, even if WAHM nappies were offered. For me, part of the appeal of choosing new WAHM is getting something made for Iris, or buying something unique, not picking something off a shelf, IYSWIM. And there's the cost thing, too. :oops: So would I use it? No. :oops: But I'm sure others would. :)

My avatar
dawnsmummy
Cloth Nappy Ninky Nonk
Cloth Nappy Ninky Nonk

Postby dawnsmummy » Tue Sep 08, 2009 2:19 pm

We have one here but all they stock is Bambino Mio and Totsbots and none of them go big enough for Dawn. They are really nice though, and let me try wraps on dawn (Over her own AIO lol). I'd love a shop like that with more choice. Even if they had one or two in stock and had to order them in when you bought them. Just so you can get a feel for what they're like before you buy them.

My avatar
freckle
Cloth Nappy Addict
Cloth Nappy Addict

Postby freckle » Tue Sep 08, 2009 2:35 pm

We have one here that sells quite a few different nappies, lots of slings, bugaboos and P&Ts and organic baby clothing. It is in a slightly hippyish area and always has plenty of customers. They also have a sofa for breastfeeding mamas.

But to be honest I am always dissapointed after going there as it is obvious they have no real experience with any of the products. Everything they have reccomended has ended up being pretty crap. Their selection is quite limited but if they really knew what they were talking about I would be more inclined to go there than shopping online - I would love to be able to get my fluff there and then rather than waiting (and paying) for shipping. Also their prices are very high compared with online (ergos for £129!).

I imagine a lot of cloth users don't even know about a lot of the WAHM out there so even if you just had a couple of samples in your shops and people could order through you I think it would work.

I think you would need more than just nappies to get people through the door though.

Bron x

My avatar
Mcchick
Cloth Nappy Nutter
Cloth Nappy Nutter

Postby Mcchick » Tue Sep 08, 2009 5:47 pm

We are in the process and in talks with our local council RE opening up a WAHM/cloth nappy shop in our area.

It is all very exciting and I have the backing of over 20 wahms + suppliers.. so far!!!

I can't wait and if you really want to do it, give it a shot for sure!!!

You never know until you try, thats what I say!

Lisa xxx

My avatar
AnnetteandBen
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox

Postby AnnetteandBen » Tue Sep 08, 2009 7:50 pm

I've also seen nappies in John Lewis - tots and bambino.

I think it is a fine line between looking and actually buying due to the prices. Yes I would love to see, feel , cuddle etc, but if it was cheaper online even with postage my purse always rules, and this is for every purchase I make nowadays.

However if you managed to get the council onboard and the recycling type non landfill people (thinking about the BBC news I saw today about people getting incentives for filling their recycling bin in Windsor) then the only way is forward!

My avatar
4timeslucky
Cloth Nappy Nutter
Cloth Nappy Nutter

Postby 4timeslucky » Tue Sep 08, 2009 10:20 pm

I'm afraid my purse rules here too, if its cheaper on line. I went to John Lewis the other day to see what the mini city jogger buggy is like irl but will order it on-line as a lot cheaper (our single buggy is about to bite the dust after a lot of use!) so I think I would do the same with nappies etc :oops:

Next

Return to Wahm grapevine