hf1

Would you pay for?

My avatar
Mareth
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox

Would you pay for?

Postby Mareth » Fri Nov 20, 2009 4:10 pm

Just wondering would people be willing to pay for hand-appliquéd and embroidered t-shirts like the Peppa one I've done?
(sorry for quality of the pic, I'll get a better one ASAP)
I'm in the process of doing an Iggle Piggle one for Rhys now too, so will get pics up once that's done.

The embellishment is handcut and handstitched, on a Dunnes Stores 2-3y t-shirt. Would you buy it? And what would you be willing to pay for something like that? It took quite a bit of time, so I'm just trying to figure out whether it'd actually be worth my while for the money I'd get back (the t-shirt itself cost €2.50 btw).

Also, does anyone know what the story would be with doing actual designs like Iggle Piggle or Peppa? I'm guessing that to officially do them I'd need licencing agreements or whatever, so would probably stick withmaking up my own designs. Or are there different rules for custom items? As I've seen a few WAHMs do character stuff in the past.

My avatar
megansmummy
Cloth Nappy Goddess
Cloth Nappy Goddess

Re: Would you pay for?

Postby megansmummy » Fri Nov 20, 2009 4:12 pm

Oh i have no idea but i was hoping you might think about making them for others!! I paid £8 plus postage for a hand painted one not long ago so maybe £10?

My avatar
juboo752
Cloth Nappy Aficionado
Cloth Nappy Aficionado

Postby juboo752 » Fri Nov 20, 2009 4:18 pm

Oooh, i love that, yep i'd pay upto £10 for a top like that, its fab, although i have just bought one for £13.50 :oops: But some was going to charity :giggle:

My avatar
Louise
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox

Postby Louise » Fri Nov 20, 2009 4:20 pm

I'd pay £8- £10 for one, possibly more depending on the design and the time it took to make. I would steer clear of any characters that are copyrighted such as VHC, Peppa, ITNG etc as it is illegal to reproduce the images without an official license. I think it is ok however to use for example VHC fabric to make an applique with. The WAHMs that have already made items copying these images should not have done so although they would probably get away with it if they didn't show the pics of their creations on their websites especially if it is a custom order and the buyer has bought the slot already there won't be a need to show a photo on the site.

My avatar
Mareth
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox

Postby Mareth » Fri Nov 20, 2009 4:21 pm

Louise, does that mean that technically it's illegal even for me to make them as gifts? :oops: Oops LOL

My avatar
Louise
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox

Postby Louise » Fri Nov 20, 2009 4:28 pm

Geordie_Girl wrote:Louise, does that mean that technically it's illegal even for me to make them as gifts? :oops: Oops LOL

I'm afraid so, (extract below from the copyright, designs and patent act below ) highly unlikely you'll get prosecuted though if only you and the person receiving the gift know who made it. Its when you start selling them that you are more likely to get caught out.

Infringement of copyright by copying

(1) The copying of the work is an act restricted by the copyright in every description of copyright work; and references in this Part to copying and copies shall be construed as follows.

(2) Copying in relation to a literary, dramatic, musical or artistic work means reproducing the work in any material form.

This includes storing the work in any medium by electronic means.

(3) In relation to an artistic work copying includes the making of a copy in three dimensions of a two-dimensional work and the making of a copy in two dimensions of a three-dimensional work.

(4) Copying in relation to a film, television broadcast or cable programme includes making a photograph of the whole or any substantial part of any image forming part of the film, broadcast or cable programme.

(5) Copying in relation to the typographical arrangement of a published edition means making a facsimile copy of the arrangement.

(6) Copying in relation to any description of work includes the making of copies which are transient or are incidental to some other use of the work.

My avatar
Frances
Cloth Nappy Wise Woman
Cloth Nappy Wise Woman

Postby Frances » Fri Nov 20, 2009 4:29 pm

That's fab Mareth, I'd also pay £8-£10.

My avatar
beffys
Cloth Nappy Disciple
Cloth Nappy Disciple

Postby beffys » Fri Nov 20, 2009 4:56 pm

Copyright and design right are automatic. If you design and create appliques of your own you'd have automatic copyright. If you come up with some good and exclusive designs, you can really make that work in your favour. By the time you can copy a character so exactly, I'd imagine you can come up with some as well. It's ok to be influenced by different designs or creative styles, but not ok to rip them off.

I'd pay for something similar around £10-£12 range. I'd be more keen to buy something that was WAHM designed and original or limited issues than something like ITNG that's been licensed all over the place.

My avatar
AnnetteandBen
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox

Postby AnnetteandBen » Fri Nov 20, 2009 5:25 pm

It looks lovely :wink:

Next

Return to Wahm grapevine