hf1

Kitchen Helper

My avatar
Cyrillia
Cloth Nappy Fanatic
Cloth Nappy Fanatic

Kitchen Helper

Postby Cyrillia » Sat Dec 12, 2009 2:59 pm

Just out of interest, what do you think would be a fair price for something like the Kitchen Helper FIL made for DS? You can buy a similar item already through people like Amazon, etc... but they're made out of MDF and are plain, and retail for over £100! This is made out of wood and is personalised.

The pics are in the original thread: viewtopic.php?f=32&t=33366

Sarah
x

My avatar
freckle
Cloth Nappy Addict
Cloth Nappy Addict

Re: Kitchen Helper

Postby freckle » Sat Dec 12, 2009 5:39 pm

I think the one your FIL made is far better than the ones you can buy but I also think £100 for one is a ridiculous price. I would rather stick with DS standing on a chair back to front. But obviously people pay £100 for the shop made ones so I imagine since the ones your FIL makes are far nicer and probably better made you would be able to get at least the same.

My avatar
dawnsmummy
Cloth Nappy Ninky Nonk
Cloth Nappy Ninky Nonk

Postby dawnsmummy » Sat Dec 12, 2009 6:10 pm

wss.
if i had cash to spare, id happily pay £100 for the one ur fil made. but sadly we dont so it would be a chair for us too

[ Mobile Post ] Image

My avatar
Cyrillia
Cloth Nappy Fanatic
Cloth Nappy Fanatic

Postby Cyrillia » Sat Dec 12, 2009 7:21 pm

That's what I thought - I only had this one as FIL could make one. There's no way I'd have bought one at £100 - it would've been a chair for us too! Then again, I think if I'd not bothered with it I would've had to wait until Ethan was older to get him in the kitchen with me, whereas he's already been in his helper a few times and loved it when I was cooking him his toast earlier as I gave him a butter knife to poke things with. I was only asking out of interest, as DH was wondering. Thanks for the thoughts thus far! :D

Sarah
x

My avatar
Annette
Cloth Nappy Ninky Nonk
Cloth Nappy Ninky Nonk

Postby Annette » Sat Dec 12, 2009 7:40 pm

I think the one your fil made is beautiful and I well worth £100. Unfortunately I just couldn't justify paying that so it has always been a chair in this house. They are a fab idea though

My avatar
JanX
Cloth Nappy Aficionado
Cloth Nappy Aficionado

Postby JanX » Sat Dec 12, 2009 8:08 pm

the one made by your FIL is lovely, and far better IMO than the ones for sale.

However, as with everything, these things are only worth what people are prepared to pay. For example, in comparison to the ready made one, on face value the FIL one 'should' be priced higher, but, it is doubtful that any would sell at a higher price, in fact, I doubt how many would sell at £100 in all honesty.

The 'ususal' way to price an item is to break down the cost of the materials used, work out how many hours it took to make, using an hourly rate you feel worthy add that to the cost of materials. This gives you your base cost (before any profit has been added)

If your FIL is considering selling them, I think the item and all the materials used will need to be safety tested in some way as it is meant for youngsters to use.

Jan x

My avatar
Cyrillia
Cloth Nappy Fanatic
Cloth Nappy Fanatic

Postby Cyrillia » Sun Dec 13, 2009 9:44 am

Thanks. :D

He's not thinking of selling them, it was just my DH wondering. We think you're right because - let's face it - £100 is way over priced for the one that's already available on the market. Also, in reality, once LO's are at an age where they're likely to enjoy making cakes, etc... they're going to be capable of standing on a chair. I think it's the sort of thing that I wouldn't buy unless I had oodles of spare cash (which I don't!), as I only have this one as FIL could make it. Let's face it, when it comes to making purchases for a LO, £100 is a buggy, a cot, 10 cloth nappies, or three months of formula or 'sposies! So I'd rather spend my money elsewhere if it came down to it. :)

Sarah
x

Return to Wahm grapevine