hf1

Breastmilk pendant?

My avatar
keljbj
Sucker for Cloth Nappies
Sucker for Cloth Nappies

Breastmilk pendant?

Postby keljbj » Thu Aug 05, 2010 8:13 am

I've seen a link somewhere about a lady in America who makes resin pendants with a bead inside made out of breastmilk. I thought maybe i'd be able to find a tutorial online with how to make one myself, but all links lead back to this one person :-?

I'm just sounding off atm, not sure if its something i want or not (depends on the price really :giggle: ) but is there anyone who thinks it might be something they could do? Even if its just swirling the milk with some resin or something, rather than making an actual bead out of it :giggle:

Indiana is my last baby :cry: :cry: :cry: and it would be nice to have a lasting reminder of this special time to pass on to her when shes older.

My avatar
dawnsmummy
Cloth Nappy Ninky Nonk
Cloth Nappy Ninky Nonk

Re: Breastmilk pendant?

Postby dawnsmummy » Thu Aug 05, 2010 8:16 am

Not a huge amount of detail but...
http://www.blacktating.com/2008/07/brea ... laces.html
A group of artists in France figured out that if you boil breast milk and vinegar, it hardens into a plastic which can then be molded.

My avatar
Amanda
Cloth Nappy Worshipper
Cloth Nappy Worshipper

Postby Amanda » Thu Aug 05, 2010 8:41 am

There are a couple of necklaces on Etsy if that's any help?

My avatar
tiyuricc
Sucker for Cloth Nappies
Sucker for Cloth Nappies

Postby tiyuricc » Thu Aug 05, 2010 3:27 pm

i remember doing this with normal milk in year 12 chemistry... thing is can't remember if we were making resin or rubber :oops: (we did both with different ingredients) , but first we mixed milk with vinegar, then a different time with i think lactic acid or similar. heat it, and hey presto.

sorry so vague about it all, it was nearly 20 years ago now. but if anyone has a chemistry background (or older kids in school) might be able to help.

eta: found this, don't see why it wouldn't work for breastmilk http://entertainment.timesonline.co.uk/tol/arts_and_entertainment/books/article2537936.ece

My avatar
keljbj
Sucker for Cloth Nappies
Sucker for Cloth Nappies

Postby keljbj » Thu Aug 05, 2010 3:36 pm

Ooooo, thats fab hon, thank you :D

I have just acquired a Medula freestyle pump (to test :wink: ) so i will put it to good use and express some milk off to have a go :giggle:

My avatar
JanX
Cloth Nappy Aficionado
Cloth Nappy Aficionado

Postby JanX » Fri Aug 06, 2010 1:17 pm

I make resin pendants, I will do a little research to see if I can mix breastmilk in with resin if you like!

Jan x

My avatar
JanX
Cloth Nappy Aficionado
Cloth Nappy Aficionado

Postby JanX » Sat Aug 28, 2010 11:58 pm

I think I have found a way to make pendants incorporating breastmilk!

I have been researching it for a while and I seem to have come up with a way to do it!

It is a time consuming and fairly lengthy process though.

Would people genuinely be interested in pendants including breastmilk?

Would anyone be prepared to send me some breastmilk to make one from to make sure it can be done?

What sort of price would you be thinking of paying for such a thing?

feel free to pm me

Jan x

My avatar
hollyday27
Clothie
Clothie

Postby hollyday27 » Fri Sep 03, 2010 2:18 pm

Hi ladies! I googled myself and found this thread. It is defiantly quite a process, I spent over a year testing and trying to figure it all out. The stories I get with each order has been most rewarding of the time spent though. :)

I am an active member on diaperswappers.com not sure if any of you are on there. My youngest is just getting out of diaper, just sold the last of them yesterday, it's kind of bittersweet. Anyways, if there are any questions I an answer for you please let me know. :)

My avatar
clothmum
Clothie
Clothie

Postby clothmum » Sun Sep 05, 2010 10:47 am

I would absolutly love to be able to do this with my bm, I couldn't afford to have one made :(

Next

Return to Wahm grapevine