hf1

Breastmilk pendant?

My avatar
radmamma
Clothie
Clothie

Re: Breastmilk pendant?

Postby radmamma » Tue Sep 07, 2010 4:33 am

As a satisfied customer of Holly's, I may be biased in my opinion here.

But, I think it isn't right to take someone else's idea and profit from it.

If price is the issue, I know that she is very open to trades and an my case, I had my jewelry on 'layaway' for several months.

I cherish my pendant and custom ring. I would absolutely buy from her again!

My avatar
0_Lisa_0
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox

Postby 0_Lisa_0 » Tue Sep 07, 2010 5:42 am

I don't think anyone is taking someone else's idea for profit. Someone asked for help and it was offered. You make it sound like her customers are being poached when one person has asked about something.
If there are several sources of information out there as there appear to be i would say she is either open to sharing this idea or she is not the only one to have to it.

My avatar
keljbj
Sucker for Cloth Nappies
Sucker for Cloth Nappies

Postby keljbj » Tue Sep 07, 2010 7:04 am

When i posted this thread i certainly wasn't trying to poach anyones ideas. I was interested to know if anyone knew how it could be done, not necessarily in the exact way that Holly does it but just as a general thing. I'm sure Holly's work is fantastic, indeed the examples i have seen online look great. But sending my breastmilk all the way to the US, and then probably incurring customs charges on top of the price i would have paid to have the pendant made, not to mention having to wait weeks for it when i am extremely impatient :hohoho: , they all put me off. So i wanted to know if anyone knew how i could do it at home, or supply from the UK. I prefer to buy from UK WAHMs where possible anyway, so i don't see it as an unreasonable request tbh :|

Janx, in answer to your question i would be more than willing to send you some milk to experiment with. How much do you think you would need? I'm not sure how much i would pay tbh, i hadn't thought that far when i asked the question :hohoho: But i'm sure we could work something out :D

My avatar
0_Lisa_0
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox

Postby 0_Lisa_0 » Tue Sep 07, 2010 7:15 am

I doubt you would even be allowed to send it into the US tbh, so you would have to look for a UK WAHM ;)

My avatar
hollyday27
Clothie
Clothie

Postby hollyday27 » Tue Sep 07, 2010 6:05 pm

I get lots of orders from overseas, in fact I am working on one right now. I'd say about 35% of my orders are non-US. I've never ran into any issues and none have been reported to me with mamas shipping the milk. I only need a tablespoon of milk, and I've had many simply send in a breast milk storage bag, double bagged, and in a letter envelope. Hope that helps. :mrgreen:

My avatar
JanX
Cloth Nappy Aficionado
Cloth Nappy Aficionado

Postby JanX » Tue Sep 07, 2010 7:35 pm

Hi.

First of all Welcome to the Tree Holly & Radmamma, nice to get some US members on the forum :idea: .

I have no intention of 'taking' anyones ideas, I was approached by a couple of people (forum friends :hug: ) who asked me if there was any way I could include breastmilk into the resin necklace pendants that I make. I knew that 'swirling' the milk into the resin wouldn't work so I researched alternative ways in which to do this. During my research I noticed your etsy shop.

I believe I may have found a way to make it work and as such it is a service that (after some testing) I intend to offer in my shop.

This is not stealing ideas, or infringing on you in any way. From the look of your pendants I work in a very different way to you and perhaps use a different type of resin (my pendants tend to come out clearer, with less bubbles).

I also found a company in Paris that make 'beads' from breastmilk (and have done for a number of years) and mount them into a necklace and I am sure there must be others.

A quick note to all the ladies who have offered to help with testing, I will be in touch over the next day or so, DS is back at school tomorrow so hoping to get a little more time to work again now :wink:

Jan x

My avatar
wytch
Cloth Nappy Addict
Cloth Nappy Addict

Postby wytch » Tue Sep 07, 2010 8:47 pm

ooow jan will you keep us posted on this as i would really like one as this is my last baby.......Just need to wait for baby and my milk :giggle: :giggle:

My avatar
mabo
Cloth Nappy Fanatic
Cloth Nappy Fanatic

Postby mabo » Tue Sep 07, 2010 9:50 pm

I'll be interested in the outcome of your tester pendants Jan as I'd be tempted to have one made before Caitlin decided to wean :wink:

My avatar
hollyday27
Clothie
Clothie

Postby hollyday27 » Wed Sep 08, 2010 11:55 am

Thanks for the warm welcome. :idea: I don't typically get bubbles from other resin pendants, but the bubbles you see in my milk pendants are a natural reaction from embedding the milk. It's like a chemistry lab. :giggle:

PreviousNext

Return to Wahm grapevine