hf1

Anyone sell to Oz? Can anyone help me?

My avatar
Mareth
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox

Anyone sell to Oz? Can anyone help me?

Postby Mareth » Thu Nov 04, 2010 9:29 am

Do any WAHMs know if there are any issues with selling from EU to Australia?

I know that a lot of European WAHMs avoid selling their stuff in the US because of the liability laws and regs over there that are much more extensive and strict than in the UK and the rest of the EU (and I know that in the BWing world some don't even want their stuff sold 2nd hand to the US :shock: ).

What's the story in Aus? Is it safe/easy for someone to sell stuff there, without having to go through the rigmarole that they'd have to to sell in the US?

I've kind of started a little business, to do with homebrewing, (non-fluffy :cry: but it appears, so far, to make money :wine: :giggle: ) and have realised that to send my wares to Aus, where apparently there is a huge market, would only cost €3 postage, which I think is a lot less than it would cost to send the same thing internally within Aus, so it could be very worthwhile me giving it a shot.

If there's a LOT of hassle involved in selling there, I might have to not bother though :( .

So, any ideas?

Thanks a lot :mrgreen:

My avatar
4timeslucky
Cloth Nappy Nutter
Cloth Nappy Nutter

Re: Anyone sell to Oz? Can anyone help me?

Postby 4timeslucky » Thu Nov 04, 2010 12:01 pm

sorry cant help you but good luck :wine:

My avatar
tiyuricc
Sucker for Cloth Nappies
Sucker for Cloth Nappies

Postby tiyuricc » Thu Nov 04, 2010 12:39 pm

i can't really help, but as an aussie, i was surprised by how many more restrictions there seemed to be in the EU when we moved here, so i can't imagine you'd have more trouble there.

Keep in mind that there are big restrictions on importing anything wooden, even papery, anything that might have little trapped bugs in it, as well as a lot of food restrictions. as long as anything you're importing is processed and not raw you should be fine. from that side of things, you could look at the AQIS website (not sure if that's the exact right name), it's the government quarrantine section.

My avatar
Mareth
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox

Postby Mareth » Thu Nov 04, 2010 12:41 pm

Everything I'd be sending is made from 100% polyester :giggle: definitely no organic beasties hiding in there :lol:

My avatar
tiyuricc
Sucker for Cloth Nappies
Sucker for Cloth Nappies

Postby tiyuricc » Thu Nov 04, 2010 12:57 pm

:giggle: definitely no problems there then.

sounds to me you should have no problems then... although i've never sold anything from here to there.

good luck!

My avatar
Mareth
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox

Postby Mareth » Thu Nov 04, 2010 1:00 pm

My avatar
Velvetsteph
Cloth Nappy Clanger
Cloth Nappy Clanger

Postby Velvetsteph » Thu Nov 04, 2010 1:22 pm

Perhaps you could post a test sample to one of the oz ladies and see if there are any customs problems?

My avatar
Mareth
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox

Postby Mareth » Thu Nov 04, 2010 1:28 pm

I've no doubt that it'll get there without problems, it was more, whether I'd have to do all kinds of insurance etc, as I would with the US. It looks as though I'll have no problems though, so might just go for it.

My avatar
Rae
Cloth Nappy Wise Woman
Cloth Nappy Wise Woman

Postby Rae » Thu Nov 04, 2010 2:34 pm

As I know quite a few people in Aus, I sell a small amount of stuff there (and post from here). As long as you are careful with weight (as I think over 2kg it is really expensive) and you fill in all your custom dec's then there is no probles. As far as things getting held up, sometimes things with metal wires (eg bras and internal bag frames) and soaps and candles can get held up a few more days for quarantine checks.

Next

Return to Wahm grapevine