Replacing elastic in littlelamb nappies

My avatar
xnoodlesx
Clothie
Clothie

Replacing elastic in littlelamb nappies

Postby xnoodlesx » Thu Jun 09, 2011 2:39 pm

Hello ladies (and gents!)

Somebody has suggested you kind people may be able to help me! The elastic has gone in the back of my little lamb nappies and I've been told it can be replaced pretty easily. I can hand sew and am getting a machine for my birthday next month :thumbsup: Would anyone be able to talk me through how I go about replacing the elastic? - In simple terms as I'm a learner!

I asked my mum but she said it's impossible without ruining and butchering the nappies! :(

Thanks in advance!

My avatar
ImisMummy
Cloth Nappy Nutter
Cloth Nappy Nutter

Re: Replacing elastic in littlelamb nappies

Postby ImisMummy » Thu Jun 09, 2011 7:15 pm

Bumping this for you, as I would also like to know if this is possible :D

My avatar
tiger75
Clothie
Clothie

Postby tiger75 » Thu Jun 09, 2011 8:29 pm

There is no need to butcher the nappies. I replaced all the elastic on some bamboozles today and it was pretty straight forward. You need to find where the elastic ends on either end of the back of the nappy. Make a small hole (I used a stich unpicker) just big enough to thread some elastic with a bodkin (available at sewing shops). Get some heavy duty elastic (important as some elastic sold at fabric shops is pretty appalling for nappies) about 3/8 inch wide and stretch it as much as you want between the two holes you made. Cut an extra inch long to make it easier to sew in if you like...

Then thread the elastic through one hole down the seam line on the back of the nappy . Pin the end of the elastic with a 1/2 inch sticking out in the first hole. Pin the other end of the elastic to the second hole leaving another 1/2 inch sticking out. Make sure the pins are firm and the elastic is straight in the back!. Cut the excess elastic off and sew up the holes. (I used a large zigzag stitch on my machine) ensuring you sew over the elastic. Take out the pins. Cut the threads. Use! :D

My avatar
xnoodlesx
Clothie
Clothie

Postby xnoodlesx » Fri Jun 10, 2011 6:36 am

Thank you so much, sounds like something i can attempt! My LL are saved! :yahoo: x

My avatar
monsterm
Cloth Nappy Worshipper
Cloth Nappy Worshipper

Postby monsterm » Fri Jun 10, 2011 8:40 am

:wave: Just wondering if you complained to little lamb about the nappies?

My avatar
xnoodlesx
Clothie
Clothie

Postby xnoodlesx » Fri Jun 10, 2011 12:01 pm

Hi! Yes I did, i sent them one of the nappies too, I got an email back and they've just asked me how I've washed them, dried them, pail them etc, they have said that they can't do anything without proof of purchase. They were purchased by everyone at my work as a present when I had my son (about 50 people, 19 months ago!) So I'm hoping someone will remember who placed the order so they can trace it back!

Without that I think it's a lost cause as they've said they sell from auction sites and other retailers and I need to go back through were they were purchased, I'm sure they would have gone directly through LL so fingers crossed someone will remember who placed the order! x

My avatar
VICKERSHOUSE
Cloth Nappy Addict
Cloth Nappy Addict

Postby VICKERSHOUSE » Fri Jun 10, 2011 1:22 pm

xnoodlesx wrote:Hi! Yes I did, i sent them one of the nappies too, I got an email back and they've just asked me how I've washed them, dried them, pail them etc, they have said that they can't do anything without proof of purchase. They were purchased by everyone at my work as a present when I had my son (about 50 people, 19 months ago!) So I'm hoping someone will remember who placed the order so they can trace it back!

Without that I think it's a lost cause as they've said they sell from auction sites and other retailers and I need to go back through were they were purchased, I'm sure they would have gone directly through LL so fingers crossed someone will remember who placed the order! x

I had this problem with my LL's too, BUT not all of them - I wondered whether they made a batch that didn't have very good elastic in them?

My avatar
BethMS
Clothie
Clothie

Postby BethMS » Sun Apr 27, 2014 10:44 am

Hi. I know you posted this a few years ago, but I just had the same problem. The elastic has gone in my LL, but not in all of them and they were in storage for 1 year. They were fine when they went in, but have come out with the elastic all stretched. I'll be replacing the elastic in all 40!!! Quite a task.

My avatar
clothmama
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox
Site Admin

Postby clothmama » Sun Apr 27, 2014 11:02 am

BethMS wrote:Hi. I know you posted this a few years ago, but I just had the same problem. The elastic has gone in my LL, but not in all of them and they were in storage for 1 year. They were fine when they went in, but have come out with the elastic all stretched. I'll be replacing the elastic in all 40!!! Quite a task.

Eek 40 of them - good luck with that @BethMS !

Return to Wahm grapevine