hf1

Can anyone make me pre-shrunk bamboo terry squares?

My avatar
Juli
Cloth Nappy Groupie
Cloth Nappy Groupie

Can anyone make me pre-shrunk bamboo terry squares?

Postby Juli » Fri Feb 10, 2012 4:32 pm

Hello all you lovely WAHMs,

I am frustrated with bamboo terry squares that turn into rectangles as soon as they're washed for the first time. So I was wondering whether anyone here might be able to make me some 40x40 and 50x50 bamboo terry squares FROM PRE-SHRUNK FABRIC to avoid further shrinkage during washing. I don't need them to be bound, I'm happy with overlocked edges. I couldn't find any commercially available ones made from pre-shrunk fabric, and I don't really understand why they wouldn't wash the fabric first before turning it into squares. So maybe there's a good reason for that that I'm just not aware of as a non-sewer. But if it's possible and someone here would be happy to do it, could you please PM me with how we might organise this and how much it is likely to cost?

Thank you :wave:
Juli

My avatar
Twinkletoes
Cloth Nappy Addict
Cloth Nappy Addict

Re: Can anyone make me pre-shrunk bamboo terry squares?

Postby Twinkletoes » Fri Feb 10, 2012 4:41 pm

Good idea! I'm interested too, if anybody is able to help.

My avatar
Kirstyh
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox

Postby Kirstyh » Fri Feb 10, 2012 4:47 pm

Humm I would have thought they would have been washed already in the manufacturing process :-?

My avatar
Juli
Cloth Nappy Groupie
Cloth Nappy Groupie

Postby Juli » Fri Feb 10, 2012 5:25 pm

Kirstyh wrote:Humm I would have thought they would have been washed already in the manufacturing process :-?

No, because if they had, then they wouldn't shrink when you wash them for the first time at home. But I agree, it would seem a logical thing to do. Maybe it's just too hard to wash large lengths of fabric all at once?

My avatar
Miss_Purple
Cloth Nappy Aficionado
Cloth Nappy Aficionado

Postby Miss_Purple » Fri Feb 10, 2012 8:00 pm

Maybe try Weenotions? They make bamboo terry towels so must have the fabric available, although they don't normally prewash.

My avatar
gayleygoo
Cloth Nappy Passionata
Cloth Nappy Passionata

Postby gayleygoo » Sat Feb 11, 2012 3:43 pm

You could cut a bit off the rectangles you have, and hem it up into a square. I guess they're not usually sold pre-washed because it can take a couple of hot washes to shrink them fully, and this can make the fabric seem less fluffy and many people love the fluffy newness that comes with a new nappy! Bamboo terry also frays loads on the cut edges and if it had to be washed several times before being sewn then it could make a mess of the fabric as well as the washing machine. (I say this simply from experience of accidentally gathering up a bit of bamboo terry into the washing machine with dark clothes. Oh Dear.) I couldn't be sure but there's a risk the squares might change shape slightly over time anyway, with repeated washings, regardless of what shape they were before. As PP suggested, WeeNotions, or maybe Little GumNut?

My avatar
Juli
Cloth Nappy Groupie
Cloth Nappy Groupie

Postby Juli » Sat Feb 11, 2012 4:52 pm

gayleygoo wrote:You could cut a bit off the rectangles you have, and hem it up into a square. I guess they're not usually sold pre-washed because it can take a couple of hot washes to shrink them fully, and this can make the fabric seem less fluffy and many people love the fluffy newness that comes with a new nappy! Bamboo terry also frays loads on the cut edges and if it had to be washed several times before being sewn then it could make a mess of the fabric as well as the washing machine. (I say this simply from experience of accidentally gathering up a bit of bamboo terry into the washing machine with dark clothes. Oh Dear.) I couldn't be sure but there's a risk the squares might change shape slightly over time anyway, with repeated washings, regardless of what shape they were before. As PP suggested, WeeNotions, or maybe Little GumNut?

Thanks for the advice. I could do it myself, but I don't have a sewing machine and have never sewed in my life! :giggle:

In my experience most of the shrinkage occurs during the first wash. I'm sure there can be a bit more shrinkage later on, but during the first wash it can shrink by several centimetres.

I've contacted WeeNotions to ask if they could do it, and yes, I'll also try Little Gumnut.

Return to Wahm grapevine