hf1

Wool is making me insane

My avatar
satsuma
Clothie
Clothie

Wool is making me insane

Postby satsuma » Wed Jun 19, 2013 3:16 am

I'm desperate to love wool, but right now I'm hating it. I'm up at 4am because the wool wrap wicked through *again* and I've needed to change the sheet (and will need to wash the mattress in the morning) which means I need to feed my baby to get her to go back to sleep.

I have a Disana wool wrap which I have lanolized 4 times. I put a pea-sized amount of water in a jar, add water from the kettle, mix, add a squirt of baby shampoo, and mix again. I then add it to a plastic tub of tepid water and stir. Then I add my wrap (which I already wet in the tub) and leave either over night or all day. Then I squeeze it out in a towel and leave to dry for about 2 days. And the same heavy wicking problem has happened 3 times in a row.

What am I doing wrong? I want to love wool because everyone who uses it raves about it, but right now I feel like selling all my wool wraps and buying more blueberry coveralls.

Help.

My avatar
Soupdragon
Cloth Nappy Worshipper
Cloth Nappy Worshipper

Re: Wool is making me insane

Postby Soupdragon » Wed Jun 19, 2013 3:20 am

Hello and welcome to the tree! :wave:

I guess the first questions are, how old is your LO and what nappy is underneath the wool? Also, is the wool new or pre-loved?

My avatar
sim
Cloth Nappy Wise Woman
Cloth Nappy Wise Woman

Postby sim » Wed Jun 19, 2013 6:58 am

Hi! Another question - can you tell where on the wrap it is wicking? Legs / waist ?

My avatar
satsuma
Clothie
Clothie

Postby satsuma » Wed Jun 19, 2013 7:26 am

Hi,

She's 4.5 months old. Last night she had a bamboo terry, with a bamboo booster, and a fleece liner (our usual night combo under a blueberry coverall). The wrap was new. It seems to wick only directly under her bottom.

Thanks for your help - I really want to make this work.

My avatar
Soupdragon
Cloth Nappy Worshipper
Cloth Nappy Worshipper

Postby Soupdragon » Wed Jun 19, 2013 7:53 am

After how long are you getting wicking? It sounds like a compression wicking issue, which would mean that the nappy needs more boosting. If there's not enough space in the nappy for boosting (or boosting would mean a poor fit), you could always boost on the outside, between nappy and wool. :)

My avatar
sim
Cloth Nappy Wise Woman
Cloth Nappy Wise Woman

Postby sim » Wed Jun 19, 2013 8:11 am

I would agree, more absorbency in the nappy.

My avatar
satsuma
Clothie
Clothie

Postby satsuma » Wed Jun 19, 2013 8:27 am

I put her in it at about 7pm and noticed she was wet around 3:30am. What sort of nappy combos does everyone else use? I can certainly add more boosters, but I'm interested to hear exactly what other people use under their wool at night.

My avatar
Soupdragon
Cloth Nappy Worshipper
Cloth Nappy Worshipper

Postby Soupdragon » Wed Jun 19, 2013 8:29 am

Specific night nappies. For us, they were mainly work at home mum (WAHM) made nappies. But we could also make do with Baby Beehinds and huge amounts of boosting.

My avatar
satsuma
Clothie
Clothie

Postby satsuma » Fri Jun 21, 2013 1:11 pm

OK, I'll try again with a more absorbent diaper in a few days (need to recover from having to wash her mattress and all the linens first). Thanks.

Next

Return to Pure Wool