hf1

What are the best crochet hooks and what do you use? Update.

My avatar
clothmama
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox
Site Admin

What are the best crochet hooks and what do you use? Update.

Postby clothmama » Fri Jan 10, 2014 9:32 am

I started crochet not sure if I'd love it so just got the grey metal variety of hooks and I have never got any others. Today I was chatting with the lady in the craft store I went to and she said it was much more comfortable to have ones with handles. I ended up getting some Knit Pro ones and have just done a row on my blanket and it is fab and seems much more comfy. I remember ages ago seeing some with felted wool handles and now wondering if they would be even better. Anyone know how to do that?

What do you guys use? :crochet: :nosey:

My avatar
autumnalgirl
Cloth Nappy Passionata
Cloth Nappy Passionata

Re: What are the best crochet hooks and what do you use?

Postby autumnalgirl » Fri Jan 10, 2014 10:21 am

I've been wondering this too. I have a bamboo one that I don't like, thought it would be more gentle, but it doesn't move smoothly through the loops. I fancy a slightly padded/shaped handle one though.

My avatar
Sunset
Cloth Nappy Addict
Cloth Nappy Addict

Postby Sunset » Fri Jan 10, 2014 11:21 am

I started with bamboo but find I prefer metal as it's more slippy. I have an addi shaped/handle which is lovely but the rest are cheap pony ones

My avatar
queen bee
Sucker for Cloth Nappies
Sucker for Cloth Nappies

Postby queen bee » Fri Jan 10, 2014 4:31 pm

I started with cheap metal ones but I treated myself to some wooden knitpro symfonie ones last year. I find them more comfortable and lighter.

My avatar
docmaggoo
Cloth Nappy Aficionado
Cloth Nappy Aficionado

Postby docmaggoo » Fri Jan 10, 2014 7:29 pm

ive pretty much tried most hooks in the search for the comfiest - given the RA in my wrists.

I start with basic plastic pony ones when I was learning - but soon hated them.
Ive then had some plain alumminium ones which are my favourite. they are coloured and very cheap from china on ebay for a full set :widesmile:

i hold the crochet hook from underneath (not like a knitting needle) so the new addi swing crochet hooks (which tbh look like toothbrushes!!!!) are a complete waist for me - as I dont hold them to use in the same way that they are designed to be held.

i cannot use the clover soft touch ones - they have a latex rubber grip on the handle - so anaphlaxis for me whilst crochetting makes them unusable for me.

I have a few bamboo ones - but personally prefer the metal ones because of slippyness and cold in your hands.

I went to Yarndale last year - and had a good try of some obscure makes of crochet hooks

The ChiaoGoo bamboo handle but metal hooks are beautiful and I adore mine! Very very comfy to use and because of the metal hook they are so easy to use! Definitely my preferred hook.
I bought 2 to try and love them - definitely going to get more!

The brittany birch ones - in bamboo and ebony! were lovely too

Ive also got a proper vintage one with very very old handle - which I love too. But no idea on make sorry

My avatar
clothmama
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox
Site Admin

Re: What are the best crochet hooks and what do you use? Update.

Postby clothmama » Sat Feb 15, 2014 12:51 am

Jen, your collection sounds lovely!

So a little update :crochet:, I was really impressed with the Knit Pro hook I got from the local shop. the shaped, kind of soft handle was so comfy and I think it nearly doubled my crochet speed somehow, I seemed to be getting much more done each evening :crochet: . Unfortunately it had a black handle and a gold hook, which while I agree it is easy to see through the wool, I don't like the look of it! A little research had me discovering that they have a new range out called Knit Pro Waves which are the same shape as the one I'd tried but come with chrome coloured hook and a different coloured handle for each size. You could buy them in packs but I wanted a different combo of sizes to that of the pack so this is what arrived yesterday :yahoo: :

My avatar
labbiefan
Cloth Nappy Nutter
Cloth Nappy Nutter

Postby labbiefan » Wed Jun 04, 2014 5:30 am

@clothmama thanks for the link :)
I've got some fleaabubs custom hooks by Laila which are lovely, made wth regular hooks, but she Los does them in Susan bates hooks which I'm intrigued to try- but they are more pennies.

My avatar
Bugglyboo
Sucker for Cloth Nappies
Sucker for Cloth Nappies

Postby Bugglyboo » Thu Jun 05, 2014 5:46 pm

I have a gorgeous rainbow owl set made by Fleabubs. I love them.

My avatar
labbiefan
Cloth Nappy Nutter
Cloth Nappy Nutter

Postby labbiefan » Fri Jun 06, 2014 6:02 am

Hooty hooks are lovely :)

Return to Pure Wool