Wool winder?

My avatar
clothmama
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox
Site Admin

Wool winder?

Postby clothmama » Mon Jan 28, 2019 7:02 am

Been wanting one for ages and you made me rethink about it @girlinleeds . Not sure if anyone else has one either??

Is this the sort you have?

If not what sort? Are you happy with it? Worth getting? Easier to store wool? What do you do with the paper if you have any on your yarn?

My avatar
girlinleeds
Cloth Nappy Guru
Cloth Nappy Guru

Re: Wool winder?

Postby girlinleeds » Mon Jan 28, 2019 7:15 am

@clothmama that's the type I've got, dh also got me an umbrella thingy to go with it too. It did make winding my wool easier, but if the wools tangly it's hard work, I swore at it quite a bit. I can stack my wool now so it does make it easier to store.

My avatar
0_Lisa_0
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox

Postby 0_Lisa_0 » Mon Jan 28, 2019 7:33 am

That's what I have, mine only cost about a tenner so easily worth it. An umbrella swift will make the task easier to do than using chair back but that tends to be where the money is spend, I've seen them starting at £40 , however after all these years and crafts I still don't own one so you can easily survive without.

My avatar
clothmama
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox
Site Admin

Postby clothmama » Mon Jan 28, 2019 9:08 am

@0_Lisa_0 I wonder if I actually have an umbrella thing that came with the bits with my wheel or in a bag of stuff my MIL gave me (carder etc in there) - I'll have to have a look!

I have lots of 100gm balls that after being moved, trailling around are getting in a big tangled mess which is what has made me think again about getting one. As you say Lisa they don't cost much!

clothmama wrote:What do you do with the paper if you have any on your yarn?

how do you store your wool @0_Lisa_0 and @girlinleeds ? Actually Lyndsay did you get something at Ikea on the weekend?

My avatar
0_Lisa_0
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox

Postby 0_Lisa_0 » Mon Jan 28, 2019 10:18 am

Oooh yes, lots of people with wheels will have a swift to help with winding in to balls so you may well have one :thumbsup:
My wool is all over the place but my stash needs some control work :oops: I have 3 big shoppers on top on my wardrobe that contain all my stylecraft acrylic, my fibre stash lives in boxes in a space in the bedroom, I have a wicker basket full of sock yarn downstairs plus 2 big wooden blanket boxes and a drawer in the dining room full of my pure wool and WAHM skeins/hooks/needles/half finished projects :oops:

Return to Pure Wool