hf1

Tension - what can I do?

My avatar
gilbertandmartha
Cloth Nappy Aficionado
Cloth Nappy Aficionado

Tension - what can I do?

Postby gilbertandmartha » Sun May 23, 2010 7:10 am

Ok I am getting a bit fed up, I seem to have to be knitting in needles 2 or 3 sizes bigger than everyone else! I am trying to knit a pair of boardies for Lachlan with Aran weight wool. Using no 5 size needles I get 6 stitches per inch and am supposed to have 5. So should I just give in an keep knitting with bigger sized needles, or is there anything I can do to my style of knitting?

My avatar
babyroo
Cloth Nappy Goddess
Cloth Nappy Goddess

Re: Tension - what can I do?

Postby babyroo » Sun May 23, 2010 7:24 am

gilbertandmartha wrote:Ok I am getting a bit fed up, I seem to have to be knitting in needles 2 or 3 sizes bigger than everyone else! I am trying to knit a pair of boardies for Lachlan with Aran weight wool. Using no 5 size needles I get 6 stitches per inch and am supposed to have 5. So should I just give in an keep knitting with bigger sized needles, or is there anything I can do to my style of knitting?

What no 5 are you using - US and UK no 5 are different sizes. Sounds like you might be using the wrong ones to me for it to be that tight.

That was my first thought anyway, but really it doesn't matter what size needles you use to get the tension. I knit tightly so use bigger needles than a lot of popel do.

My avatar
gilbertandmartha
Cloth Nappy Aficionado
Cloth Nappy Aficionado

Postby gilbertandmartha » Sun May 23, 2010 7:27 am

Hey Ali the needle says "8 brittany 5.0mm" they are wooden dpns. I know its stupid but I'm a bit fed up at always having to go out and buy more needles, and I want to knit NOW!!!!

My avatar
babyroo
Cloth Nappy Goddess
Cloth Nappy Goddess

Postby babyroo » Sun May 23, 2010 7:31 am

ooh now that is very strange that it is sooo tight as that should be about the right size.

I would also try a 5.5mm and maybe a 6mm too. Could you try not pulling the wool so tight with each stitch?

Is this the first time you've used aran? Do you normally have trouble getting the right gauge with other yarns?

My avatar
gilbertandmartha
Cloth Nappy Aficionado
Cloth Nappy Aficionado

Postby gilbertandmartha » Sun May 23, 2010 7:38 am

Yup I have trouble with EVERY thing. I think I knitted a pair of boardies for Riley with DK using 4 or 4.5? whenever I use the needles the pattern reccomends my gauge is always over by 1 or 2 stitches.

Maybe the reason I knit which is to get rid of my tension, is causing my stuff to be too tight? :giggle:

My avatar
babyroo
Cloth Nappy Goddess
Cloth Nappy Goddess

Postby babyroo » Sun May 23, 2010 7:48 am

I use 4.5mm for DK and 5.5mm for aran.

gilbertandmartha wrote:Maybe the reason I knit which is to get rid of my tension, is causing my stuff to be too tight? :giggle:

It could well be that :hug:

The only other thing I can thing of is the type of needle. Bamboo needles aren't very slippy and maybe you would find it easier with metal Addi's or metal/wood knit pro. Also maybe using circulars rather than DPNs :?

My avatar
gilbertandmartha
Cloth Nappy Aficionado
Cloth Nappy Aficionado

Postby gilbertandmartha » Sun May 23, 2010 7:51 am

Thanks Ali, I did buy a size 5 circular needle to try the other day. SO I might have a go with that and then maybe invest in a set of them. This knitting lark is expensive :giggle: But it's keeping me sane.

Thanks for you help... oh and good morning by the way

My avatar
winniewheresmypooh
Cloth Nappy Addict
Cloth Nappy Addict

Postby winniewheresmypooh » Sun May 23, 2010 8:19 am

i'm convinced that my knit pro symfonie seem smaller than my metal needles but maybe like ali says it is because they are smoother and easier to knit loosely.

My avatar
calliflower
Cloth Nappy Lover
Cloth Nappy Lover

Postby calliflower » Sun May 23, 2010 11:21 am

I agree that some needles are smaller than others, even if they are supposed to be the same size. I have a load which I inherited from my gran and some of them are almost one size bigger (i checked them all with a gauge - how sad am i) then others iyswim.

Return to Pure Wool