hf1

How to measure for wool - pic heavy!

My avatar
Soupdragon
Cloth Nappy Worshipper
Cloth Nappy Worshipper

How to measure for wool - pic heavy!

Postby Soupdragon » Sat Sep 11, 2010 10:02 am

I thought I'd do a quick photo tutorial on how to measure for woollies, as it seems to come up quite often. These photos were unwillingly modelled for :giggle: by my 2-year-old daughter wearing her largest night nappy (a Puddlekins). (I also had an unwilling photographer's assistant in the form of DH, so apologies if some of these aren't the best photos!) Measuring a baby/toddler isn't always easy! My little miss hates having her thigh and in-seam measured, so sometimes it's a case of best guessing, rather than completely accurately measuring.

When buying new wool it's important to measure over the largest nappy that you want the woollies to cover. If you're buying day wool, measure over your largest day nappy. Night wool should be measured over your largest night nappy. (Top tip! You can measure over a night nappy, even if you want the woollies to be used over a day nappy; it gives growing room. ;) )

It doesn't matter whether you're planning to buy knitted, crocheted or interlock woollies - you need the same measurements. These are rise, waist, hip and either thigh or in-seam (depending on whether you're getting a soaker or shorties/longies/crops/boardies). So, how do you do it?

To measure the rise, take the tape measure from just above the top of the nappy, pass it through the legs and measure to the top of the back of the nappy:

For the rise here, I'd go for 21" or 22", just to make sure the nappy is properly covered.

For the waist, measure around the natural waistline, above the nappy:

Measure the hips around the natural hip line, around the widest part of the nappy:

To measure the thigh, first make sure you pick your LO's chunkiest thigh. :giggle: The measure around it, as close to the nappy as possible:

To measure the in-seam, go from the inner thigh - as close as possible to the nappy - down to the ankle. To give growing room, measure to the floor. To measure for shorties/boardies/crops, pick a point close to the knee or wherever you want the woollies to finish:

And here's why it's important to measure over the right nappies! On the left is the Puddlekins night nappy that we used for these pictures. On the right is one of DD's day nappies - a medium Dunk n Fluff. Both fit her perfectly, but there's a bit of difference in the size!

And here are two of her soakers. Night soaker on the left, day soaker on the night. The day soaker started off life as a night soaker, before she outgrew it for use overnight - now it's perfect for daywear. ;)

Hope that's of use to someone. :)

My avatar
dawnsmummy
Cloth Nappy Ninky Nonk
Cloth Nappy Ninky Nonk

Re: How to measure for wool - pic heavy!

Postby dawnsmummy » Sat Sep 11, 2010 10:03 am

:wine: Very handy, well done hun.

My avatar
red_dwarf
Cloth Nappy Aficionado
Cloth Nappy Aficionado

Postby red_dwarf » Sat Sep 11, 2010 10:05 am

Very very handy. Hope this becomes a sticky :wine:

My avatar
monsterm
Cloth Nappy Worshipper
Cloth Nappy Worshipper

Postby monsterm » Sat Sep 11, 2010 10:10 am

Thanks Nic. I'm useless at knowing where to measure so really appreciate the pic tute :wine:

My avatar
Soupdragon
Cloth Nappy Worshipper
Cloth Nappy Worshipper

Postby Soupdragon » Sat Sep 11, 2010 10:12 am

FC that Photobucket starts to play soon. I have resized them all. :roll:

My avatar
jules070603
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox

Postby jules070603 » Sat Sep 11, 2010 10:26 am

Thats fantastic Nichola :D

My avatar
babyroo
Cloth Nappy Goddess
Cloth Nappy Goddess

Postby babyroo » Sat Sep 11, 2010 10:26 am

That's fab Nichola, thank you! I've stickied it :D

My avatar
happytails
Cloth Nappy Worshipper
Cloth Nappy Worshipper

Postby happytails » Fri Sep 17, 2010 6:14 pm

Great!! Also skirties need a length of skirt from top of waistband (just measure from waistband to where ever you want the skirt to be ;)) - i made the mistake of buying one that was very short on DD once because i didnt check this info :oops: :giggle:

Lovely nappies and wool you have there too :wink:

My avatar
adonoghue
Clothie
Clothie

Postby adonoghue » Sat Apr 02, 2011 11:03 pm

Thanks Nichola, this is just what I was looking for! :thumbsup:

Next

Return to Pure Wool