Dyeing wool

My avatar
clothmama
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox
Site Admin

Re: Dyeing wool

Postby clothmama » Sun Jan 20, 2013 1:06 am

hally wrote:I'm glad I found this thread! I dyed some yarn a few months ago and it was lovely and bright when I was drying it afterwards, but after it's first wash and lanoloise it had faded a lot. Is this because I didn't put enough vinegar in originally? Trying to think of what I did wrong as I yearn for bright colours!

I'm not sure @babyroo will have more ideas I'm sure!

My avatar
gilbertandmartha
Cloth Nappy Aficionado
Cloth Nappy Aficionado

Postby gilbertandmartha » Sun Jan 20, 2013 1:29 am

I am no expert but it does sound like some of the dye has washed out. what type of wool was it and what dying method did you use?

My avatar
babyroo
Cloth Nappy Goddess
Cloth Nappy Goddess

Postby babyroo » Sun Jan 20, 2013 9:38 am

WSS how did you dye it? When you rinsed after dyeing was there still dye coming out?

It does sound like something went wrong in the dyeing process as it would be unusual for that much colour to fade after one wash/lanolising.

My avatar
littlesez
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox
Site Supporter

Postby littlesez » Sun Jan 20, 2013 11:38 am

I wouldn't be able to say as i don't use vinegar do you need to use heat with vinegar? From my experience using acid dyes the dye doesnt fix if you haven't "cooked" it long enough x

My avatar
hally
Clothie
Clothie

Postby hally » Tue Feb 05, 2013 12:03 pm

I used food colouring and I soaked the wool in a vinegar solution before I dyed it. I then painted it with food colouring and then used the microwave to heat the dye. I bought some undyed hanks of pure wool from the West Yorkshire Spinners to try it out on, DK weight. Actually, I blogged about it when I dyed it.... will find link....: http://sasumog.wordpress.com/2012/08/29/my-first-attempt-at-dyeing-yarn/ so that's how I did it and what it looked like. It has seriously faded to looking like desert camouflage though according to DH (he quite likes it but I prefer BRIGHT colours)!

My avatar
babyroo
Cloth Nappy Goddess
Cloth Nappy Goddess

Postby babyroo » Tue Feb 05, 2013 12:44 pm

aah the food colouring is probably the problem then. A lot of them now use natural colours which won't work as dyes in the same way. I've seen a list of which will/won't work somewhere, I'll try to find it.

My avatar
hally
Clothie
Clothie

Postby hally » Tue Feb 05, 2013 9:12 pm

Oh thank you, that is exactly why - I used Asda ones which are apparently useless!!! Will try again now with more suitable dyes :thumbsup:

My avatar
flossyfly
Cloth Nappy Nutter
Cloth Nappy Nutter

Postby flossyfly » Tue Feb 05, 2013 9:33 pm

Try food colour gels :thumbsup:

My avatar
InkMinx
Cloth Nappy Follower
Cloth Nappy Follower

Postby InkMinx » Tue Feb 04, 2014 4:40 pm

I have just had my first go at dyeing wool today with kool aid.

Decided to go for a mottled mix of one colour for a first effort instead of possibly making a brown mess of lots of colours lol!

Im pretty pleased, might get to start crocheting it up tonight. I have learnt a few things I will do differently next time.

PreviousNext

Return to Pure Wool