Wool Care including Lanolising Instructions

My avatar
kittenwithawhip
Clothie
Clothie

Re: Wool Care including Lanolising Instructions

Postby kittenwithawhip » Thu Sep 30, 2010 7:44 pm

Another newbie question(s):
If my woolies need washing i.e. are a bit smelly or dirty, do I need to lanolise again afterwards?
And if I need to lanolise i.e they are feeling damp after use, do I need to wash beforehand?

Apologies for denseness :oops:

My avatar
dougal28
Clothie
Clothie

Postby dougal28 » Fri Oct 01, 2010 2:10 pm

ok this is probably a really silly question to some of you, but im just starting to use wool as it's cold here at winter were we live and wool will keep my lo warm at night, so is it the nipple cream lanolin i need to use for me wool. It's all new so should i do them a few times. Plus i have some preloved ones too and the ladies couldn't remember when they last did them so would it hurt to do them again, cheers lorraine. And often do i need to wash them.

My avatar
Adelicia
Clothie
Clothie

Postby Adelicia » Fri Jan 07, 2011 6:36 pm

Hi,

This might be a really silly question, but are there any alternatives to lanolin? I don't use animal products but have some tired old wool sweaters back from when I did that I'd be prepared to chop up to make wraps out of, but wouldn't feel happy with using lanolin on them.

My avatar
nappymad09
Clothie
Clothie

Postby nappymad09 » Mon Jan 24, 2011 4:55 pm

Thanks

My avatar
Velvetsteph
Cloth Nappy Clanger
Cloth Nappy Clanger

Postby Velvetsteph » Mon Jan 24, 2011 10:13 pm

Adelicia wrote:Hi,

This might be a really silly question, but are there any alternatives to lanolin? I don't use animal products but have some tired old wool sweaters back from when I did that I'd be prepared to chop up to make wraps out of, but wouldn't feel happy with using lanolin on them.

I'm not sure really - the lanolin is gathered from the wool which sheep shed naturally in the wild anyway so it's not like using rennet...
I guess you could use a chemical waterproofing agent but that wouldn't be terribly skin (or wool) friendly...
The thing about lanolin is it's meant for wool - biologically designed... If you're ethically happy using wool then ethically lanolin should be fine to use if that makes sense?

If you felted the wool heavily you could probably get away without lanolising if it's pure wool...

My avatar
Little Pants
Cloth Nappy Addict
Cloth Nappy Addict
Site Supporter

Postby Little Pants » Sat May 23, 2015 8:38 am

I hope this is allowed, but I now make ready emulsified lanolin in sachets, which simplifies the whole process. I have made a video to show how simple it is to use. It's exactly the same stuff that you would use if you emulsify solid lanolin yourself, so has exactly the same efficiency and effect, but it takes the mess and guesswork out, especially if you are a beginner.

http://youtu.be/WwI-S0pEMtA

Previous

Return to Pure Wool