hf1

Rainbow Yarn Tutorial

My avatar
Velvetsteph
Cloth Nappy Clanger
Cloth Nappy Clanger

Rainbow Yarn Tutorial

Postby Velvetsteph » Sun Jun 26, 2011 9:00 pm

Ok so I forgot to take a picture of the first step which was to fully extend our table and wrap the yarn round it in a super long skein - and you put ties in every so often to keep it from getting tangled up...

Second step is to soak the yarn overnight in cold water with vinegar in it - I'm not very scientific when it comes to quantities so I just stick a generous glug or two in :lol:

Then I prepare the yarn and cling-film having squeezed most of the water out of the yarn (it needs to be wet/damp but not soaking) and as you can see I've used foodbag clips to separate the sections so the colour doesn't bleed - it was quite time consuming but worth it :)

Ok - NOW PUT ON GLOVES!!!!! (unless you want multi coloured hands ;) )

Then prepare the dyes - I've used gel food colouring (all artificial colours) so needed to add acid so dissolve the gel colour in boiling water and stir stir stir until completely dissolved - and add vinegar, no more than 1/4 of the volume of water really is about right I've found... If you use kool aid that contains citric acid so no need to add vinegar ;)
Oh and don't use 'natural' food colouring it just won't work :) I used a nesquick mixer thingy to make sure it was mixed enough :giggle: For purple it's a good idea to add half a teaspoon of salt to aid an even colour takeup as it's a mixed colour blue and red take up at different rates...

Turkey baster - essential, well no but as I used mugs I didn't want to splosh colour everywhere (well not too much haha!) and they don't pour well...

Now put the colour on your yarn in sections and squish it well into the yarn then seal up that section before moving onto the next section...

Then you've got them all done...

So I then wrapped the lot in more clingfilm and popped it on the microwave plate:

Then heat for 2mins at a time on full power allowing to cool in between zappings - total time using my microwave is about six to eight minutes before the colour is exhausted completely - that's when you poke the yarn and the water is clear so all the dye is sucked up into the yarn... Blue takes a LOT longer to exhaust than any other colour...

Then once the lot has cooled unwrap it all and pop it in the sink and rinse rinse rinse...

Then squeeze gently in a towel and hang to dry admiring your handiwork :)

Now if I've made any glaring errors here I'm sure the proper experts will be along to correct me ;)

I came up with the separating idea because I didn't like how the yellow and green ran into each other and I quite like the white/natural in-between as colour breaks :)

My avatar
clothmama
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox
Site Admin

Re: Rainbow Yarn Tutorial

Postby clothmama » Mon Jun 27, 2011 2:37 am

Fantastic Steph - thanks for that! :wine: :wine:

Can't wait to see how it knits up with the little breaks - I imagine they will only be 1 or 2 stitches wide? Hope you or Jonny can add some pics when it is knitted :D :D

I've stickied it so it doesn't get lost! :wink:

My avatar
Scotia
Cloth Nappy Disciple
Cloth Nappy Disciple

Postby Scotia » Mon Jun 27, 2011 7:17 am

Great Steph, thanks for this :)

My avatar
Velvetsteph
Cloth Nappy Clanger
Cloth Nappy Clanger

Postby Velvetsteph » Mon Jun 27, 2011 10:17 am

clothmama wrote:Can't wait to see how it knits up with the little breaks - I imagine they will only be 1 or 2 stitches wide? Hope you or Jonny can add some pics when it is knitted :D :D
I'll have to steal a bit back from her and include in my scrappy dress ;)

My avatar
Joaninha
Cloth Nappy Passionata
Cloth Nappy Passionata

Postby Joaninha » Mon Jun 27, 2011 5:23 pm

Velvetsteph wrote:
clothmama wrote:Can't wait to see how it knits up with the little breaks - I imagine they will only be 1 or 2 stitches wide? Hope you or Jonny can add some pics when it is knitted :D :D
I'll have to steal a bit back from her and include in my scrappy dress ;)

I've wound it, and it looks loooovely. I can't wait to knit it, but need to buy the needles first :roll: I'll try and remember to get you some, Steph. And thanks for posting this, it is lovely to see how it all happened :D

My avatar
mama2boyz
Cloth Nappy Nutter
Cloth Nappy Nutter

Postby mama2boyz » Fri Sep 16, 2011 8:32 pm

I know this is an old thread but I'd love to see how this knits up.

If you have a photo online somewhere pls can you let me know?

thanks

My avatar
Velvetsteph
Cloth Nappy Clanger
Cloth Nappy Clanger

Postby Velvetsteph » Fri Sep 16, 2011 9:28 pm

Forgot I was going to do that :lol: will take a pic over the weekend :)

Return to Pure Wool