hf1

Take it to work ideas please

My avatar
Jellybelly6
Cloth Nappy Nutter
Cloth Nappy Nutter

Take it to work ideas please

Postby Jellybelly6 » Sat Mar 10, 2012 7:50 pm

I need healthy food ideas for taking to work. I work shifts which are physically very busy in social care and seem to be trying to survive on toast at the moment on early shifts. Needless to say this is doing my energy levels no good!
I need easy ideas for good food for early shifts- late shifts are ok as I batch cook for them and have use of the kitchen so can cook pasta or rice and reheat whatever I have with me.
I don't do dairy as it makes me itch like mad. Ideas please :-?

My avatar
willowherb
Cloth Nappy Nutter
Cloth Nappy Nutter

Re: Take it to work ideas please

Postby willowherb » Sat Mar 10, 2012 8:53 pm

My fav to take to work is chicken and salad, i get the precooked chicken pieces and make up my salad in a lunch boxs, it feel like im having more than just sandwiches and is nice in the summer :D

My avatar
bekhi1983
Cloth Nappy Addict
Cloth Nappy Addict

Postby bekhi1983 » Sat Mar 10, 2012 9:17 pm

I am in the same boat doing 12 hour shifts in social care. Today I had a slice of toast at 9.30, a packet of crisps and a snickers at 1.30 and have come home to scrambled eggs on toast at 8.30. Add to that 2 energy drinks washed down with sudafed as I'm full of cold. I'm looking forward to suggestions too :hug:

My avatar
ems101
Cloth Nappy Disciple
Cloth Nappy Disciple

Postby ems101 » Sat Mar 10, 2012 9:23 pm

I take boxes of salad. My fave is spinach, ready cooked beetroot, avocado, coucous/quinoa, houmous and a couple of falafel. I just grab a bite here and there!

Id take bananas too for energy, and again easy to eat on the go, or banana and peanut butter sarnies if you need a bit more.

My avatar
Jellybelly6
Cloth Nappy Nutter
Cloth Nappy Nutter

Postby Jellybelly6 » Sat Mar 10, 2012 9:36 pm

bekhi1983 wrote:I am in the same boat doing 12 hour shifts in social care. Today I had a slice of toast at 9.30, a packet of crisps and a snickers at 1.30 and have come home to scrambled eggs on toast at 8.30. Add to that 2 energy drinks washed down with sudafed as I'm full of cold. I'm looking forward to suggestions too :hug:

:hug: the cold is never fun.
I had toast at quarter to seven this morning then an apple and more toast at half ten. By two I had the shakes from low blood sugar levels and had a packet of rice stuff, a couple of baby oranges and a packet of crisps. I was late shift last night so got home a almost eleven last night. Sorted the dirty nappies out the wee ones bag and repacked the bag to go to Gran's today. I then crashed in bed and yet again just grabbed stuff out the cupboard :(

I love the idea of salad boxes. I may have to get very very organised.

My avatar
Louise
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox

Postby Louise » Sat Mar 10, 2012 9:49 pm

Salads (I especially like pasta and rice salads or fruit salad with yogurt), homemade cereal bars, savoury muffins, vegetable sticks, mini breadsticks and dips.

My avatar
Twinkletoes
Cloth Nappy Addict
Cloth Nappy Addict

Postby Twinkletoes » Sat Mar 10, 2012 10:24 pm

Marinate and grill some chicken and onions and peppers, then mix with cold rice, noodles, salad etc. I do this with various marinades and different veggies chopped through (celery, tomatoes, peppers, root ginger, spring onion, fresh herbs, salad leaves) and take some home made dressing in a kids sippy cup (fresh orange or lemon juice plus sweet chilli sauce is easy, or peanut/lime, balsamic etc etc).

I prep the various bits one night, and construct each morning into one tupperware for the day.

My avatar
Frances
Cloth Nappy Wise Woman
Cloth Nappy Wise Woman

Postby Frances » Sat Mar 10, 2012 10:41 pm

I tend to take homemade or canned soup. Hugh F-Ws DIY pot noodles from his new Veg Everyday book are fab too :D

My avatar
Grrushka
Cloth Nappy Follower
Cloth Nappy Follower

Postby Grrushka » Sun Mar 11, 2012 12:18 am

Frances wrote:I tend to take homemade or canned soup. Hugh F-Ws DIY pot noodles from his new Veg Everyday book are fab too :D

I was just going to suggest Hugh's noodles as well. I haven't tried it yet but it looks great! I'd do some pasta salad so it's nice and filling. I did Jamie Olivers recipie once and loved it, get some small pasta shapes finely chop some olives, tomatoes(yellow and red for colour:)cucumbers, hmm loads of herbs like chives basil... and basic dressing of olive oil and white wine vin. loovely and refreshing, and healthy too :giggle:

Next

Return to Recipes and other Culinary Delights