hf1

Meatball recipes please

My avatar
Johanna21
Cloth Nappy Lover
Cloth Nappy Lover

Meatball recipes please

Postby Johanna21 » Tue Jul 17, 2012 8:44 pm

Both my kids have recently gone off mince. I have discovered that they'll eat meatballs though :D Don't want to keep buying them ready made so if anyone has a good (and simple!) recipe that would be great. Sauce suggestions would also be much appreciated.

My avatar
Twinkletoes
Cloth Nappy Addict
Cloth Nappy Addict

Re: Meatball recipes please

Postby Twinkletoes » Tue Jul 17, 2012 9:36 pm

I love meatballs!

Beef:

Mince, brown breadcrumbs, grated veg (carrots, onion, celery), tomato purée, dried or fresh herbs. I roll in flour and dried spices (cumin, chilli, coriander) and brown in a pan with olive oil before putting on a tray in the oven til they're done. Sauce wise I do with a simple tom sauce - onions and garlic in oil, loads of tinned toms, plus the leftover flour and brown bits from the meatball pan, plus a splash of balsamic. Bubble for a good while so it thickens.

Lamb:
Minced lamb, mint sauce from a jar, cinamon, honey, grated veg. Roll into balls then flour, brown in pan then stick on tray in oven. I tend to do these as patties or finger shapes and serve with grilled halloumi, and cous cous with loads of chopped (raw or roasted) veg. And yogurt, yum!

Pork:
Minced pork, chopped bacon, chopped coriander, chopped chillis, spring onion, Thai green curry paste. Roll, brown off, then stick in a broth of coconut milk, green curry paste, and veg (peppers, mange tout, baby corn, sugar snaps) and serve with rice.

My avatar
Bessandra
Cloth Nappy Lover
Cloth Nappy Lover

Postby Bessandra » Wed Jul 18, 2012 5:36 am

Hmmm sounds delish!

My avatar
Johanna21
Cloth Nappy Lover
Cloth Nappy Lover

Postby Johanna21 » Wed Jul 18, 2012 10:29 am

Thank you Twinkletoes :D They all sound amazing. Can't wait to get into the kitchen and have a go.

My avatar
evansmummy
Cloth Nappy Fanatic
Cloth Nappy Fanatic

Postby evansmummy » Wed Jul 18, 2012 10:40 am

Mines quick but yummy.

Fry some chopped onion and garlic in olive oil til soft, add grated carrot (I grate two) and let it soak up the juice. Add meatballs and brown them. Add frozen chopped spinach until melted and mixed and I normally chuck some fresh chopped tomatoes in to. Chuck in a one or two cartons of passata and let the mixture bubble a way for 45minutes or so. I add cooked rice in at the end and mix grated cheese through it to.

My avatar
Johanna21
Cloth Nappy Lover
Cloth Nappy Lover

Postby Johanna21 » Wed Jul 18, 2012 2:25 pm

Mmmmmmm! That sounds good too :D

I think we're going to be eating a lot of meatballs.

My avatar
Twinkletoes
Cloth Nappy Addict
Cloth Nappy Addict

Postby Twinkletoes » Wed Jul 18, 2012 3:44 pm

It's put me in the mood for Thai meatballs! Wonder if I can persuade dh to make these at the weekend?

My avatar
Caroline
Cloth Nappy Aficionado
Cloth Nappy Aficionado

Postby Caroline » Wed Jul 18, 2012 5:44 pm

Make two different meatball recipes depending on my mood.

This Nigella one and this Jamie Oliver one.

We are having the Jamie ones tomorrow night :drool:.

My avatar
Louise
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox
Site Supporter

Postby Louise » Wed Jul 18, 2012 9:46 pm

My favourite is the Nigella (without the parmesan atm as DD and I can't eat it :( ) I would love to be able to eat the Jamie Oliver one too :cry:

Next

Return to Recipes and other Culinary Delights