hf1

Is it false economy to buy dried beans/chickpeas, etc?

My avatar
Dora
Cloth Nappy Addict
Cloth Nappy Addict

Re: Is it false economy to buy dried beans/chickpeas, etc?

Postby Dora » Sun Aug 26, 2012 8:54 pm

Yes :giggle: yes it is ;-)

My avatar
Iverson
Clothie
Clothie

Postby Iverson » Sun Aug 26, 2012 9:10 pm

zippie-purple-monkey wrote:I always boil my beans in large batches then freeze so they're ready to use when needed. I soak them for 24 hours and change the water twice. The thing that puts me off tins are the chemicals in the plastic lining, so I try to avoid them as much as possible. x

Yes! The BPA! A big reason I use dried, but I had forgotten! I think I'll try and boil them in bigger batches, as much as can fit in the pot, and freeze more. And not think about the extra boiling cost because at least we're not getting the chemicals.

My avatar
zippie-purple-monkey
Sucker for Cloth Nappies
Sucker for Cloth Nappies

Postby zippie-purple-monkey » Sun Aug 26, 2012 11:12 pm

Iverson wrote:
zippie-purple-monkey wrote:I always boil my beans in large batches then freeze so they're ready to use when needed. I soak them for 24 hours and change the water twice. The thing that puts me off tins are the chemicals in the plastic lining, so I try to avoid them as much as possible. x

Yes! The BPA! A big reason I use dried, but I had forgotten! I think I'll try and boil them in bigger batches, as much as can fit in the pot, and freeze more. And not think about the extra boiling cost because at least we're not getting the chemicals.

:giggle: we're on a very tight budget so I had to weigh up the pros and cons. I do think it is a tiny bit more expensive boiling them, but figured you can't really put a price on health. I never run out anymore as once the freezer bag is empty I simply get another bag of dried soaking. Hubby thinks I'm obsessed as we have bags and bags of dried beans in the cupboard :hohoho:

the easiest way is to soak them for 24 hours and remember to rinse and change the water at least once, rapid boil for 20mins then cook up to an hour depending on the bean. It takes longer if you start off with cold water. :) x

My avatar
docmaggoo
Cloth Nappy Aficionado
Cloth Nappy Aficionado

Postby docmaggoo » Mon Aug 27, 2012 5:47 am

Bessandra wrote:
docmaggoo wrote:I buy both!

The dried ones go in the slow cooker - they dont totally disintegrate that way!

The tinned ones are used when Im cooking something quickly on the top of the hob - saves all the time soaking/boiling them!

Docmaggoo...
Do you still soak and boil them prior to going in the slow cooker?

@bessandra
Nope I don't. Just chuck them in dried!
They come out perfect this way and still resembling beans ifykwim. They are in the slow cooker for 6-8hrs which is fine
Same for lentils, chick peas... Any dried pulse really!

Previous

Return to Recipes and other Culinary Delights