hf1

Freezer friendly recipes, please

My avatar
Soupdragon
Cloth Nappy Worshipper
Cloth Nappy Worshipper

Freezer friendly recipes, please

Postby Soupdragon » Fri Jul 26, 2013 7:04 am

So this weekend I need to restock the freezer properly, ready for semester 2 to begin on Monday (how did that come around so quickly!). I've made a bit of a start and have some ideas, but would like suggestions on what else I can make and throw in there, to make things easier while I'm trying to juggle studying.

So far in there/planning to be in there are:

Salmon and caper fishcakes
Lasagne
Chilli
Fish pie filling
Beefburgers
Fishfingers
Chicken and vegetable pie filling
* Beef casserole
* Stroganoff
* Goulash
* Lamb with rosemary and apricots
* These things are just raw ingredients in a ziplock bag, which I defrost then throw in the slow cooker as and when needed.

Last time I made pizzas, but the Gorilla seems to have gone off those. He's also taken to turning his nose up at soup. :evil: (Which is just a great big PITA, as it's so easy to make!)

So suggestions, please. Particularly anything for lunch ideas. Thanking you muchly. :widesmile:

My avatar
sim
Cloth Nappy Wise Woman
Cloth Nappy Wise Woman

Re: Freezer friendly recipes, please

Postby sim » Fri Jul 26, 2013 8:03 am

Lamb shanks?
Curries / tagines?
Meatballs?

My avatar
Caroline
Cloth Nappy Aficionado
Cloth Nappy Aficionado

Postby Caroline » Fri Jul 26, 2013 9:57 am

Chicken portions in marinades, curry, sausage casserole, mash potato, cottage or shepherds pie, pasta sauce.

My avatar
emmavmorgan
Sucker for Cloth Nappies
Sucker for Cloth Nappies

Postby emmavmorgan » Fri Jul 26, 2013 10:00 am

Homemade fish fingers
Sausagemeat plait
Mini quiche
Always go down well for lunches here and all freezable
I also make stacks of banana pancakes (hairy biker recipe online) and freeze them as they are great for snacks.

My avatar
Caroline
Cloth Nappy Aficionado
Cloth Nappy Aficionado

Postby Caroline » Fri Jul 26, 2013 10:53 am

Banana cakes and muffins freeze really well. I normally have some sweet treats in for lunch boxes. Usually one of the following banana muffins, blueberry muffins, carrot, pineapple and raisin muffins and ginger cake. I think @clothmama freezes filled rolls doesn't she?

My avatar
gilbertandmartha
Cloth Nappy Aficionado
Cloth Nappy Aficionado

Postby gilbertandmartha » Sat Jul 27, 2013 12:26 am

I saw this this morning and forgot to reply. things I have in the freezer - all homemade

my 5 bean chilli - I slow cooker up a massive pot and freeze in portions
chicken and turkey mince burgers - I usually add sweet chilli sauce, but have been doing just lime zest lately and they are delicious
fish fingers (with whatever fish is on special) I cover with parmesan breadcrumbs and they are gone in seconds
veg muffins - delicious for lunches
Mash potato in portions - I cook up a 5lbs bag at a time
sweet potato cubes roasted
wedges

I do most stuff like fish fingers and burgers ready cooked as its often hard to find meat/fish that isn't already frozen, unless I pay through the nose - which I won't do

my mum used to make whole loafs of sandwiches and then freeze them back in the bread bag. but I wasn't adventures and was happy with ham.

My avatar
clothmama
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox
Site Admin

Postby clothmama » Sat Jul 27, 2013 1:29 am

Curry and spag bol seems to be my staple freezer foods! I did get very organised and made up lasagnes one time and that was great as they are so expensive to buy ready made and I dont' like them!

I also do the kids lunches, they like salami and cheese rolls so I make up the whole large pack and there are lunches for a couple of weeks! For Louis I sometimes add lettuce as he likes it when it comes out of the freezer. They defrost nicely by lunch :). It means it is easy for the kids to make their own lunch boxes up as well as they can just add a roll, an apple a packet of crisps or whatever themselves.

My avatar
Soupdragon
Cloth Nappy Worshipper
Cloth Nappy Worshipper

Postby Soupdragon » Sun Jul 28, 2013 11:56 pm

Meatballs! Yep, the children love those, so will pick up some more supplies this afternoon and knock up a batch later on. Might have those for dinner, too.

We made too much lasagne at the weekend, so had some leftover sauce - so there's pasta sauce in the freezer now.

I'll knock up some quiches, too. They're prefect lunch fodder. And muffins are a good idea. I'll get DH to make a batch with the children at the weekend for easy snacking.

Wedges! Yep, will prep some of those. Handy side.

And I might even try out the rolls idea. :)

Thanks, all. Very helpful. :thumbsup:

My avatar
Asta
Cloth Nappy Addict
Cloth Nappy Addict

Postby Asta » Mon Jul 29, 2013 7:50 am

shepherds pie (just the mince part)
bolognase
chunky ceg chilli
curry
fish pie