hf1

Tea time rut.

My avatar
gilbertandmartha
Cloth Nappy Aficionado
Cloth Nappy Aficionado

Re: Tea time rut.

Postby gilbertandmartha » Fri Jun 27, 2014 1:33 pm

All I can say is thank god for carrots and corn!

Mine love special fish which is a tilapia fillet. I put some chicken salt and garlic powder or any other flavourings on top then I mix breadcrumbs with grated cheese, normally parmesan, and a little oil, then press it on top of the fish, then bake to cook it.

Hamburgers?

Chicken burgers - use minced chicken, grate in some veg, add flavourings then cook.

My avatar
clothsister
Cloth Nappy Addict
Cloth Nappy Addict

Postby clothsister » Fri Jun 27, 2014 3:00 pm

My DH has a real phobia of veggies due to being force fed them as a child so I tend to make my sauced for chilli and spag Bol etc... With blended veg can get loads in without him knowing and he's a grown man lol!!! X

My avatar
Bugglyboo
Sucker for Cloth Nappies
Sucker for Cloth Nappies

Postby Bugglyboo » Fri Jun 27, 2014 8:36 pm

Thanks everyone. I will reply properly tomorrow.

We're having chilli, cottage pie and fish cakes this week, all doubled up as both boys are poorly with possible chest infections so not much cooking time.

My avatar
g murphy
Cloth Nappy Aficionado
Cloth Nappy Aficionado

Postby g murphy » Sat Jun 28, 2014 3:09 pm

some fab ideas. Hope your little monkeys are feeling better soon. xx

My avatar
confusinglady
Cloth Nappy Passionata
Cloth Nappy Passionata

Postby confusinglady » Sun Jun 29, 2014 5:26 am

I ll be watching this too. I m trying Isaac on a wheat free diet to see if this us his trouble..... So far so good. I wonder whether my oldest needs it too. But the only carbs she likes are ones with wheat in :( she dislikes potato in any form , she doesn t even really like chips!

Meals that we have so far:

Sweet and sour chicken and rice ( thickened with cornflour)
Sticky beef with rice noodles ( again thickened with cornflour)
Although looking at a website yesterday it said some but not all soy sauce contains gluten so I need to check mine.
I use the leftover beef or chicken from a roast the day before.
We do a burrito type meal. Chopped tomatoes, peppers, courgette ( whizz up before adding next ingredients if you want to hide the veg) then add rice and some form of beans, a bit of cumin and chilli powder although not needed if you don t want to. Boil up till rice and beans cook. We usually then put into wraps and cook with cheese on top but I m thinking of just skipping that stage for ds and serving with taco shells if I can find any, or tortilla chips and cheese.
You can add whatever meat you like if you want too. We ve had mince or chicken
( Chicken was the original recipe). I was also going to see if I could make gluten free wraps as it is lovely all wrapped up and baked with cheese on top yum yum!

My avatar
clothmama
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox
Site Admin

Postby clothmama » Sun Jun 29, 2014 8:39 am

@confusinglady so you cook the rice in with the rest of it so like a one pot thing? How much rice do you use?

My avatar
confusinglady
Cloth Nappy Passionata
Cloth Nappy Passionata

Postby confusinglady » Sun Jun 29, 2014 2:27 pm

clothmama wrote:@confusinglady so you cook the rice in with the rest of it so like a one pot thing? How much rice do you use?

@clothmama
Yes it's fab! Its one pot, then one dish if you choose to put in wraps and bake with cheese on top. Cook whichever meat in the pan (we more often than not do without meat)
then add chopped tomatoes, whichever veggies (I do peppers), kidney beans ( or whichever beans), cumin, chilli powder, I m sure it was 2oz rice and 1/4 pint of water. I now just chuck a bit of each in ;)
Cook till rice and beans done. Put your wraps in an oven dish thingy (technical term) all folded in half, fill them up, fold them over and put lots of cheese on top. Tis yummy!
Or you can eat the mix on its own with tortilla/corn chips and guacamole etc.
:thumbsup:

My avatar
Sunset
Cloth Nappy Addict
Cloth Nappy Addict

Postby Sunset » Sun Jun 29, 2014 5:32 pm

@confusinglady yes soy sauce usually contains wheat, you can get Temari sauce instead which is wheat free and has a slightly less salty taste. I'm awaiting my coeliac tests so have been doing some experimenting in the meantime :)

My avatar
Bugglyboo
Sucker for Cloth Nappies
Sucker for Cloth Nappies

Postby Bugglyboo » Sun Jun 29, 2014 7:22 pm

@confusinglady, if you are worried that wheat is a problem, it is worth having a coeliac test before you cut out the gluten because the test requires you to eat gluten for about 6 weeks before. If they do have coeliac then they can get food on prescription so it is really worth having the test.

Really love your ideas. We'll be having some of those next week :)

PreviousNext

Return to Recipes and other Culinary Delights