Yum! Lemon Curd

My avatar
MrC
Cloth Nappy Guru
Cloth Nappy Guru
Site Admin

Yum! Lemon Curd

Postby MrC » Sat Jul 19, 2014 7:20 am

Yummmmmm!!! I love this stuff and got the chance to make some lovely and home made thanks to one of Tory's delightful spinning friends. Apparently a handy gardener too. Thank you Tory's friend, I love your lemons :)

For about 500g of lemon curd

3 egg yolks
100g unsalted butter
220g sugar
Juice and zest of three juicy home made with love lemons without supermarket pesticide/wax coating.

Heat up a bowl over simmering water. Don't boil the water or let it touch the bowl. If it gets too hot your curds will turn out dodgy as our lovely budget. Add everything except the egg yolks and keep mixing till the sugar dissolves and the butter melts.

When you and the sugar are ready add the yolks slowly and beat them into the mix. Stir for about 10 minutes (still over the simmering pan) until the mixture thickens a little.

When done I strained the mixture through a sieve into a jar that I sterilised by boiling. I have the vain hope that removing the urgh bits means that my children might eat it but you could leave the zest to add texture. Here's what I got out, I'm glad my kids don't like it because it tastes fab so don't chuck it out. Now I have to be patient waiting for it to do its fridge thing.

My avatar
clothmama
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox
Site Admin

Re: Yum! Lemon Curd

Postby clothmama » Sat Jul 19, 2014 8:16 am

Was very lovely to arrive home to the tangy and sweet smell and hubby stirring it at the stove :giggle: I have dipped my finger in and it tasted lovely too :widesmile:

My avatar
Bernadette
Cloth Nappy Nutter
Cloth Nappy Nutter

Postby Bernadette » Sat Jul 19, 2014 8:17 am

My try that as I have just bought about 40 lemons inside. We gave our lemon tree a little prune, not much but the branches were full of lemons.

Was thinking of making marmalade as my orange tree is full of fruit aswell. But we are making homemade orange cordial and lemon cordial.

My avatar
clothmama
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox
Site Admin

Postby clothmama » Sat Jul 19, 2014 8:19 am

Ohhhh yum! Let us know how all that goes!

My avatar
Mareth
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox

Postby Mareth » Sat Jul 19, 2014 9:32 am

Yum! Looks lovely, lime curd is gorgeous too. There's a recipe somewhere back in the annals of the tree that I shared years ago. Shop bought curd really doesn't compare, does it?

Enjoy!

My avatar
laceybat
Cloth Nappy Wise Woman
Cloth Nappy Wise Woman

Postby laceybat » Sat Jul 19, 2014 10:01 am

I love lemon curd my nan use to make the best lemon curd.

My avatar
Louise
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox

Postby Louise » Sat Jul 19, 2014 10:06 am

Yum! I love making lemon curd. It usually goes in everyone's hampers at Christmas :D

My avatar
Sophiebeth23
Cloth Nappy Nutter
Cloth Nappy Nutter

Postby Sophiebeth23 » Sat Jul 19, 2014 4:32 pm

Sounds yummy

My avatar
Sunset
Cloth Nappy Addict
Cloth Nappy Addict

Postby Sunset » Sat Jul 19, 2014 4:45 pm

We love lemon curd here too, I use a very similar recipe. Orange curd or lemon and lime curd is yummy too.

Next

Return to Recipes and other Culinary Delights