hf1

Home made citrus cordial.

My avatar
Bernadette
Cloth Nappy Nutter
Cloth Nappy Nutter

Home made citrus cordial.

Postby Bernadette » Mon Aug 18, 2014 3:41 am

@Mr Clothmama have just made this recipe as couldn't find my mum's one.

ORANGE CORDIAL - you can use this recipes for many types of fruit
8 oranges or about 1 litre of any other fruit juice - either juiced or squashed.
Finely grated zest of two oranges.
Sugar syrup, 1 litre water to 1 kilo sugar - sugar syrup is always equal quantities of sugar to water - boiled until the sugar has dissolved.

Mix juice and zest with the sugar syrup and allow to cool completely. Will store for a month in the fridge. Serve diluted with water and a lot of ice.

It is a bit sweet with my oranges so next time will do less sugar. Also made Lemon and Lime marmalade and Orange marmalade yesterday.

Just juiced my lemons for my lemon slice I will start in a little bit.

We had a wet and wild night last night and 12 oranges were on the ground this morning so I juiced them or the cordial. It made about 2 1/2 litres.

My avatar
MrC
Cloth Nappy Guru
Cloth Nappy Guru
Site Admin

Re: Yum! Lemon Curd

Postby MrC » Mon Aug 18, 2014 5:54 am

Thank you Bernadette. :D That sounds really nice. I'm going to try to make it right now as my pile of citrus is starting to look a little in need of use and Louis is off school sick and seems excited by the project :) . I'll try it with a little less sugar and let you know how I go.

Bernadette wrote:We had a wet and wild night last night and 12 oranges were on the ground this morning so I juiced them or the cordial. It made about 2 1/2 litres.

Can't believe the wild weather. We've got it here too. My dentist was surprised to see me this morning it was raining so heavily!

My avatar
MrC
Cloth Nappy Guru
Cloth Nappy Guru
Site Admin

Postby MrC » Mon Aug 18, 2014 6:38 am

Well, thanks again! That's really really nice :) and it smells divine throughout the house now. I improvised a bit as my fruits are a bit mix and match:

I used 500ml mixed lemon/orange/mandarin juice
Zest of 2 lemons and 1 orange
I cut the sugar syrup down to 400ml water/ 400g sugar

I used muscavado sugar as it makes poor delusional me feel slightly less guilty. It gave the cordial a lovely brown natural colour.

1 cm in a 300ml glass, seems about right. It's not overly sugary but really surprisingly zingy and full of flavour :)

My avatar
clothmama
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox
Site Admin

Postby clothmama » Wed Aug 20, 2014 7:16 am

I had a sip (can't have cordial :( ) and it was yummy!! Thanks for the recipe @Bernadette

My avatar
Bernadette
Cloth Nappy Nutter
Cloth Nappy Nutter

Postby Bernadette » Wed Aug 20, 2014 12:30 pm

I am glad you both like it.

It is great in summer with ice cold water and ice!

My avatar
clothmama
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox
Site Admin

Re: Home made citrus cordial.

Postby clothmama » Sat Oct 18, 2014 6:19 am

Split to it's own topic as this cordial is so lovely it deserves its own post :wine:

Return to Recipes and other Culinary Delights