My avatar
clothmama
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox
Site Admin

Kombucha?

Postby clothmama » Sun May 13, 2018 12:56 pm

Has anyone tried it? Made it?

I've never tried it but a lady (the lady I got my eggs from) gave me a Kombucha mother (SCOBY) - I'm worried I've killed it :lookround: :shock: :lookround: as I put it in the fridge for a month but there is a chance it is OK so I'm making some now! I meant to read some instructions when I got back but just been so busy time went by and I didnt' do it :oops: I'll add a pic once I put it in the jar.

My avatar
autumnalgirl
Cloth Nappy Passionata
Cloth Nappy Passionata

Re: Kombucha?

Postby autumnalgirl » Sun May 13, 2018 10:01 pm

I just had to google what it was :oops: I thought it might one of those breads you ferment :hohoho: ... clearly not!!!

My avatar
clothmama
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox
Site Admin

Postby clothmama » Mon Jul 09, 2018 3:37 pm

Just realised I forgot to update for anyone interested. My first brew ended up working although took ages, I think from low temps, we'd stopped heating other than the odd evenings but the heat hadn't arrived so I think it was only about 18-20 c in the kitchen - so lower limit of what it likes to brew. I'd also been horrible to the SCOBY so I think I was pushing it really however a new SCOBY grew and it was really nice, it just didn't get very bubbly even after 2nd ferment. The flavour is quite tart with just a tingle on your tounge of the bubbles.

A couple of weeks ago I started a 2nd brew which I've just emptied out into bottles for the secondary fermentation. I've decided to do some experimenting and I've added fruit to the Kombucha. 1 is raspberry (although not many - just what was on the bushes!) and some peach, the other is peach and lime juice both with a little sugar (to increase the bubbles!). There is also another SCOBY which is smaller than the first as it was higher up in the big bottle, the new ones look really nice and healthy - I think I'll ditch the original one maybe after the next brew. This time I think we have great success - even straight up it is yummy and much fizzier than the other one got so I'll be keeping a close eye out on the gas build up as don't want exploding bottles :shock:
Here is the brewing bottle with the alien gross looking SCOBYs
And the bottles all lined up :D

I'll let you know how the flavoured ones taste :widesmile:

My avatar
JabberJabber
Cloth Nappy Prophet
Cloth Nappy Prophet

Postby JabberJabber » Wed Jul 11, 2018 6:31 pm

Wait, what is this?

My avatar
clothmama
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox
Site Admin

Postby clothmama » Thu Jul 12, 2018 7:03 am

JabberJabber wrote:Wait, what is this?

Hi Kate! It is basically an ancient fermented drink based on tea that is reported to have lots of health benefits - particularly for people with gut issues / inflammation etc so I thought it would be worth a try for J! Dr Mosely recommends it in his book the Clever Guts diet. The plus side is it is a really yummy drink! It is huge now in the states and you can buy it like soft drink in bottles, I think you cna in the UK too but not 100% sure! @JabberJabber

My avatar
JabberJabber
Cloth Nappy Prophet
Cloth Nappy Prophet

Postby JabberJabber » Thu Jul 12, 2018 7:19 am

That's interesting, I might go and have a read about that.

My avatar
clothmama
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox
Site Admin

Postby clothmama » Thu Jul 12, 2018 7:44 am

I have spent ages reading up on it - this site here is really good (the guy just keeps it all simple and has a really good guide to getting going):
http://kombuchahome.com/kombucha-guides-overview/
Some benefits:
https://draxe.com/7-reasons-drink-kombucha-everyday/
Of course there are anti Kombucha things around too as there often is for alternative stuff (Big Pharma maybe :lookround: ). We only have a small amount (50ml) and I'll build that up as we remember to drink it everyday (which hasn't happened yet :hohoho: :hohoho: ).

My avatar
clothmama
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox
Site Admin

Postby clothmama » Thu Jul 12, 2018 7:44 am

@JabberJabber

Return to Recipes and other Culinary Delights