hf1

3 questions,2 about tins,one about chutney!

My avatar
lazylexis
Cloth Nappy Worshipper
Cloth Nappy Worshipper

3 questions,2 about tins,one about chutney!

Postby lazylexis » Thu Dec 03, 2009 5:01 am

Ok,how long does homemade chutney etc keep for?
I'm looking for some decent baking tins for christmas that can go in dishwasher and don't rust or flake in 5 seconds.anyone any recommendations?i also want a square and some round cake tins,what's the best sizes to get?
Thanks ladies!

[ Mobile Post ] Image

My avatar
clothmama
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox
Site Admin

Re: 3 questions,2 about tins,one about chutney!

Postby clothmama » Thu Dec 03, 2009 6:24 am

I think as long as your jars are sterile and you seal them properly homemade chutney should be able to be kept a year or longer.

Not sure about tins, mine always seem to stick or go rusty (especially up here :roll: ). I must say I've picked up a couple of the new silicone ones and they are actually really good - I've got a large round one to do big cakes and you end up with a gorgeous smooth finish on your cake. I also have a loaf pan in the silicone, only prob is that it tends to bulge out, I have seen the more expensive ones that come in a hard outer (you life the silicone bit out when cooked) and now I know why! I intend on gradually replacing my muffin tins and every thing with them as they are good and you don't' need to add grease to the pan. Worth getting one to try and see if you like them.

Size wise a set of sandwich pans (2 small round tins), a larger round, a 20 X 20 cm square and a loaf tine would be a fairly useful set to have as well as muffin tins if you like doing them.

hths

My avatar
Louise
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox

Postby Louise » Thu Dec 03, 2009 7:51 am

Chutney keeps for ages, I still have a jar I made last year and I've only just opened it. My favourite tins are these

and these

They're 3 for 2 atm too. Personally I'd get 18 and 20cm tins in both shapes as they're the ones that I use most.

My avatar
megansmummy
Cloth Nappy Goddess
Cloth Nappy Goddess

Postby megansmummy » Thu Dec 03, 2009 8:15 am

Louise, they are lovely tins...where are they from? And are they 3 for 2?

My avatar
lazylexis
Cloth Nappy Worshipper
Cloth Nappy Worshipper

Postby lazylexis » Thu Dec 03, 2009 1:48 pm

I think they are from lakeland and are 3 for 2.

[ Mobile Post ] Image

My avatar
Louise
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox

Postby Louise » Sat Dec 05, 2009 5:26 pm

megansmummy wrote:Louise, they are lovely tins...where are they from? And are they 3 for 2?

They're from Lakeland - click on the pic. :wink: And yes they are 3 for 2. :D

Return to Recipes and other Culinary Delights