hf1

Gold dust cookies

My avatar
Louise
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox

Gold dust cookies

Postby Louise » Sun Dec 20, 2009 10:25 pm

Ingredients (makes about 30-40 depending on the size of your cutter)
90g soft unsalted butter
180g caster sugar
1 large egg
1 tsp ground ginger (or vanilla extract - my children prefer the vanilla version :wink: )
200g plain flour plus extra for sprinkling
1/2 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp fine salt
edible gold dust/glitter ( you can buy this on ebay for around £2 inc postage)

Instructions
1) Preheat the oven to 180C/Gas 4 and line a baking sheet (or 2) with baking parchment.
2) Cream the butter and sugar together until whipped soft and pale, then beat in the egg, followed by the gigner (or vanilla), flour, baking powder and salt and contune mixing until it all comes together to form a soft dough.
3) Form into 2 discs , wrap each one in cling film and let it rest in the fridge for 20-30 minutes.
4)Sprinkle a suitable surface with flour, place a disc of dough on it and sprinkle a little more flour on top. Then roll it out to a thickness of about 5mm.
5) Cut into shapes, dipping the cutter into flour as you go, and place the biscuits a little apart on the prepared baking sheets. Mix the scraps of the first disc with the second and continue to roll out and cut shapes until you've used up all the dough.
6) Bake in the oven for 8-12 minutes, (this depends on their shape, how many sheets are in the oven at the same time and whether they are on the lower or upper shelf, although you can swap them around after 5 minutes). When they are ready, they should be tinged pale gold around the edges but still be softish in the middle that will harden on cooling.
7) Take the sheets out of the oven, remove the cookies with a flexible spatula onto a wire rack to cool.
8) When cooled, use a small (unused) paintbrush or eyeshadow brush to paint the glitter onto the biscuits.

My avatar
Frances
Cloth Nappy Wise Woman
Cloth Nappy Wise Woman

Re: Gold dust cookies

Postby Frances » Sat Jan 23, 2010 11:45 am

We made these yesterday, they were gorgeous thanks! We didn't have any vanilla essence or ginger so used about 40g of ground almonds instead and they were yummy!

My avatar
Louise
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox

Postby Louise » Sat Jan 23, 2010 12:47 pm

Frances wrote:We made these yesterday, they were gorgeous thanks! We didn't have any vanilla essence or ginger so used about 40g of ground almonds instead and they were yummy!

Glad you liked them, we have some ground almonds that need using up so might try that over the weekend too.

My avatar
emmalala
Cloth Nappy Wise Woman
Cloth Nappy Wise Woman

Postby emmalala » Tue Aug 24, 2010 1:17 pm

made these today and they are yummy!

My avatar
LilMrsAverage
Cloth Nappy Aficionado
Cloth Nappy Aficionado

Postby LilMrsAverage » Tue Aug 24, 2010 2:57 pm

I've just brought some gold glitter :wine:

Does anyone know how long they keep? if I were to cook and wrap them before Christmas ??

My avatar
Louise
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox

Postby Louise » Sun Sep 05, 2010 7:35 am

LilMrsAverage wrote:I've just brought some gold glitter :wine:

Does anyone know how long they keep? if I were to cook and wrap them before Christmas ??

You can freeze them for a couple of months. Other than that they keep for about 3-5 days.

My avatar
Mareth
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox

Postby Mareth » Sun Sep 05, 2010 9:55 am

They are so pretty. They'd make lovely xmas tree decorations. I normally make biscuits for the tree and ice them, but might try these instead this year :)

Return to Recipes and other Culinary Delights