hf1

Risotto recipies

My avatar
twinkletot
Cloth Nappy Disciple
Cloth Nappy Disciple

Risotto recipies

Postby twinkletot » Wed Jan 27, 2010 9:06 pm

Has anybody got any good ones? Oh and (dumb q coming).............do I have to buy special rice :giggle: :oops:
Last edited by twinkletot on Fri Apr 15, 2011 10:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.

My avatar
angelsquidge
Cloth Nappy Fanatic
Cloth Nappy Fanatic

Re: Rissotto recipies

Postby angelsquidge » Wed Jan 27, 2010 9:14 pm

Arborio rice is what you want :)

I make a lot of rissotto's....they're very easy but a bit tedious as you can to constantly be watching and stirring them.

Mushroom rissotto is lovely and you can use all different kinds of mushrooms.

I'm a bacon addict so always put that in!

You need a good arborio rice, good stock and some good parmesan type cheese and then you can add pretty much anything you want!

Heat olive oil in a deep pan, gently fry a chopped onion and clove of garlic for a couple of minutes then add the rice. Stir and cook for a couple of minutes (you can add a glass of white wine here if you want) and as it begins to turn golden start adding the stock. Only add a cup/ladel full at a time and stir until the liquid has been absorbed by the rice. Keep adding/stirring until the liquid's all been evaporated and the rice is al dente. Add things like bacon/mushrooms/cooked veg etc almost at the end (in the last 5 mins or so) and then stir in the parmesan just before serving.

It should be very creamy and not dry when served. If it's too watery, add a bit of milk instead of stock in one of the ladels (I make the stock with half water half milk).

:wine:

My avatar
tracedw
Cloth Nappy Addict
Cloth Nappy Addict

Postby tracedw » Wed Jan 27, 2010 9:29 pm

I love making risottos, i fry my onions and garlic in butter instead of olive oil.
The main base ingredients are rice ,onions, garlic, stock,wine, parmesan cheese, lemon juice(optional) fresh parsley
Chicken, chorizo and red pepper risotto
King prawn and asparagus ,mange tout,baby sweercorn risotto
Mushroom and bacon risotto (can use strong flavoured fresh and dry mushrooms)
Yum , have fun experimenting.

My avatar
twinkletot
Cloth Nappy Disciple
Cloth Nappy Disciple

Postby twinkletot » Wed Jan 27, 2010 9:51 pm

Thanks Amber and thanks for the fab recipies and ideas girls. Ds is going to love them :mrgreen:

My avatar
paintedclaws
Cloth Nappy Fanatic
Cloth Nappy Fanatic

Postby paintedclaws » Wed Jan 27, 2010 10:18 pm

Oh i hope Nathan likes it as much as Noah does. Its definately a favourite with him. :D

I used the Jamie Oliver recipe and just add whatever i fancy afterwards, but its gorgeous with just parmesan.

http://www.jamieoliver.com/recipes/riso ... tto-recipe

My avatar
twinkletot
Cloth Nappy Disciple
Cloth Nappy Disciple

Postby twinkletot » Wed Jan 27, 2010 10:26 pm

Oh I am sure he will he LOVES rice!! I have been meaning to make a rissotto for him for aaaages now so really must get on and do it :oops: . Thanks for the link :D

My avatar
lazylexis
Cloth Nappy Worshipper
Cloth Nappy Worshipper

Postby lazylexis » Wed Feb 03, 2010 6:12 pm

I make mine in the slow cooker.i can post the recipe if you want.

[ Mobile Post ] Image

My avatar
clothmama
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox
Site Admin

Postby clothmama » Wed Feb 03, 2010 11:18 pm

lazylexis wrote:I make mine in the slow cooker.i can post the recipe if you want.

[ Mobile Post ] Image

Yes please! :D Am going to sticky this for people to add to!

My avatar
gayleygoo
Cloth Nappy Passionata
Cloth Nappy Passionata

Postby gayleygoo » Thu Feb 04, 2010 1:37 pm

I make a very lazy "risotto" by just rinsing normal rice, and putting it in the saucepan after the onions and garlic have been softened, adding the necessary amount of stock and cooking as normal. I add chopped meat and veg to the pot as to the timings needed and stir once in a while to make sure it doesnt stick. Thats probably not technically a risotto but Im happy with it, and I use use whatever rice I have in the cupboard.

Nigella had a butternut "orzotto" (barely instead of rice) in her Christmas book, I might try that sometime if I ever see the recipe again. Apparently its much easier than making risotto.

Id probably make more rice dishes because I love them, if it weren't for DH "not seeing the point" of rice :roll: :giggle:

Next

Return to Recipes and other Culinary Delights