Postby clothmama » Sat Feb 13, 2010 12:30 am

Here is a sticky thread to post all the yummy recipes that the bakers sent :D

My avatar
Louise
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox

Re: Secret Baker 2010 recipes

Postby Louise » Sat Feb 13, 2010 5:07 pm

OK well here are my 3 recipes (I sent my recipient 3 types of biscuit, I'll add pics as she hasn't posted in the reveal thread :cry: )

Rocky Road

Ingredients
125g soft butter
300g best-quality dark chocolate (minimum 70% cocoa solids), broken into pieces
3 x 15ml tablespoons golden syrup
200g Rich Tea biscuits
100g mini marshmallows
2 teaspoons icing sugar for dusting

Instructions
Melt the butter, chocolate and golden syrup in a heavy-based saucepan. Scoop out about 125ml of this melted mixture and put to one side.
Put the biscuits into a freezer bag and then bash them with a rolling pin. You are aiming for both crumbs and pieces of biscuits.
Fold the biscuit pieces and crumbs into the melted chocolate mixture in the saucepan, and then add the marshmallows.
Tip into a foil tray (24cm square); flatten as best you can with a spatula. Pour the reserved 125ml of melted chocolate mixture over the marshmallow mixture and smooth the top.
Refrigerate for about 2 hours or overnight.
Cut into 24 fingers and dust with icing sugar by pushing it gently through a tea strainer or small sieve.

I have adapted this recipe in the past and added nuts, cherries, raisins. You can add whatever you like really. :wink:

Gold dust cookies

Ingredients (makes about 30-40 depending on the size of your cutter)
90g soft unsalted butter
180g caster sugar
1 large egg
1 tsp ground ginger (or vanilla extract - my children prefer the vanilla version :wink: )
200g plain flour plus extra for sprinkling
1/2 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp fine salt
edible gold dust/glitter ( you can buy this on ebay for around £2 inc postage)

Instructions
1) Preheat the oven to 180C/Gas 4 and line a baking sheet (or 2) with baking parchment.
2) Cream the butter and sugar together until whipped soft and pale, then beat in the egg, followed by the gigner (or vanilla), flour, baking powder and salt and continue mixing until it all comes together to form a soft dough.
3) Form into 2 discs , wrap each one in cling film and let it rest in the fridge for 20-30 minutes.
4)Sprinkle a suitable surface with flour, place a disc of dough on it and sprinkle a little more flour on top. Then roll it out to a thickness of about 5mm.
5) Cut into shapes, dipping the cutter into flour as you go, and place the biscuits a little apart on the prepared baking sheets. Mix the scraps of the first disc with the second and continue to roll out and cut shapes until you've used up all the dough.
6) Bake in the oven for 8-12 minutes, (this depends on their shape, how many sheets are in the oven at the same time and whether they are on the lower or upper shelf, although you can swap them around after 5 minutes). When they are ready, they should be tinged pale gold around the edges but still be softish in the middle that will harden on cooling.
7) Take the sheets out of the oven, remove the cookies with a flexible spatula onto a wire rack to cool.
8) When cooled, use a small (unused) paintbrush or eyeshadow brush to paint the glitter onto the biscuits.

Chocolate chip cookies

Ingredients (makes about 17)
300g plain (all-purpose) flour
1/2 teaspoon bicarbonate of soda (baking soda)
1 teaspoon fine salt
170g unsalted butter, melted and cooled slightly
215g light brown sugar
120g granulated white sugar
1 tablespoon vanilla extract
1 large egg
1 large egg yolk
300g milk chocolate chips

Sift together flour, bicaronate of soda and salt. Set aside.
Stir together melted butter, brown sugar, sugar and vanilla. Add egg, then the yolk. Beat well to ensure that egg is evenly distributed. Stir in dry ingredients, then fold in chocolate chips until incorporated. It will look as if there are too many chocolate chips but the dough will be able to hold them all. Cover with clingfilm and chill dough until firm. At least 30 minutes.
Preheat the oven to 190C/Gas Mark 5.
Drop 1/4 cup sized “hockey puck shaped” mounds of dough onto a greased baking sheet. I use a 1/4 measuring cup to both measure and shape the dough which works perfectly.
Bake in preheated oven for approximately 10-12 minutes or only until the edges begin to turn golden. (They’ll look and feel underdone but they’re ready.) Cool on the sheet for 1 minute and remove with a wide spatula to a cooling rack. Cool thoroughly and enjoy!
If you prefer a more crisp cookie then you can bake them for slightly longer until the whole cookie is a golden colour. The dough will keep in the fridge for a few days so I usually double or even triple the recipe and bake a few fresh ones every day.

I adapted the gold dust cookies for Davina so they were lower in fat and also made her these

Weight Watchers Chocolate chip cookies
Ingredients
25 g butter, softened
2 tablespoon corn oil
100 g light brown sugar
1 teaspoon vanilla essence
1 pinch salt
1 large egg white
75 g flour
1/4 teaspoon baking powder
75 g chocolate chips

Instructions
1)Preheat the oven to Gas Mark 5/190°C/375°F.
2)Cream together the butter, oil and sugar. Add the vanilla, salt and egg white and whisk well.
3)Sift in the flour and baking powder and fold in with the chocolate chips making sure they are evenly distributed.
4)Drop 48 spoonfuls of the cookie mixture evenly over two non-stick baking sheets and bake for 4 to 6 minutes until golden. Carefully transfer to a wire rack to cool completely.

1 WW point per 2 cookies.

My avatar
megansmummy
Cloth Nappy Goddess
Cloth Nappy Goddess

Postby megansmummy » Sat Feb 13, 2010 5:08 pm

Ooohhh louise, that all looks so scrummy!!! :shock: :shock: :wine: :hug:

My avatar
Woozle35
Cloth Nappy Disciple
Cloth Nappy Disciple

Postby Woozle35 » Sat Feb 13, 2010 6:41 pm

megansmummy wrote:Ooohhh louise, that all looks so scrummy!!! :shock: :shock: :wine: :hug:

I agree. My shortcake biscuits that Kirsty baked me had the sparkly gold dust on :D

My avatar
0_Lisa_0
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox

Postby 0_Lisa_0 » Sat Feb 13, 2010 7:29 pm

I would have posted pics Louise but we ate them all too quickly :oops: :oops: :oops:

My avatar
Louise
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox

Postby Louise » Sat Feb 13, 2010 7:30 pm

0_Lisa_0 wrote:I would have posted pics Louise but we ate them all too quickly :oops: :oops: :oops:

:giggle: That's ok hun, I know you liked them. :D

My avatar
0_Lisa_0
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox

Postby 0_Lisa_0 » Sat Feb 13, 2010 7:36 pm

:mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: definately, you should set up a bakery Louise :giggle: only for us though :wink: off to make me... erm I mean us..... some rocky road :widesmile:

My avatar
0_Lisa_0
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox

Postby 0_Lisa_0 » Sat Feb 13, 2010 7:47 pm

Louise wrote:25g soft butter

Louise is it definately 25g as it says 125g on the message you sent me :-?

My avatar
Louise
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox

Postby Louise » Sat Feb 13, 2010 7:50 pm

0_Lisa_0 wrote:
Louise wrote:25g soft butter

Louise is it definately 25g as it says 125g on the message you sent me :-?

Oops yes its 125g, I'll change the recipe, thanks.

Next

Return to Recipes and other Culinary Delights