hf1

What can i give instead of meat

My avatar
laceybat
Cloth Nappy Wise Woman
Cloth Nappy Wise Woman

What can i give instead of meat

Postby laceybat » Thu Apr 21, 2011 6:29 am

as he just won't eat meat we give it to him on the plate he'll eat the veg or what less is on the plate but not the meat. he sucks the juices off the mince when we have it and spits the meat out. he's the same with quorn. i give him lots of veg and pulses beans and eggs but i feel he's just not getting enough protine as he fallen off the bottom of his chart now from the 50th

if any one has any ideas that would be great thank you

My avatar
ladybird
Cloth Nappy Aficionado
Cloth Nappy Aficionado

Re: What can i give insatead of meat

Postby ladybird » Thu Apr 21, 2011 7:12 am

If you are giving regular beans, lentils, pulses, etc. then he's probably getting plenty. Quinoa is a good source that is easy to hide in other things.
Tbh I think there's so much hype on high protein diets that we probably eat too much, rather than too little. I know when I checked my protein intake a while ago, thinking I wasn't getting nearly enough, as a vegetarian, I got a shock - I was eating way over the amount I should have been and not enough carbs.

My avatar
Kirstyh
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox

Re: What can i give insatead of meat

Postby Kirstyh » Thu Apr 21, 2011 7:17 am

He will be just fine on what he is getting already, Gracie isn't a big meat eater at all (she detests mince) but it is a texture thing, the other 2 were the same when they were wee and they are perfectly healthy, they eat more meant now as they are older x

My avatar
nappynutter
Cloth Nappy Fanatic
Cloth Nappy Fanatic

Re: What can i give instead of meat

Postby nappynutter » Thu Apr 21, 2011 7:47 am

He doesn't need meat in his diet - even vegans get plenty protein in their diet. Lots of cultures don't offer meat until children are 7 or older. It's actually very common for young children not to like the taste or texture of meat.

Ladybird - the "hype" is not about a high protein diet, but about a higher protein and lower carb ratio than currently recommend by the government. The GDAs were set at a time when most people had very active manual jobs and needed more carbs, now most people have office related jobs and this level of carbs is causing diabetes and other health problems.

My avatar
evansmummy
Cloth Nappy Fanatic
Cloth Nappy Fanatic

Postby evansmummy » Thu Apr 21, 2011 7:56 am

Caden is 6 and doesn't eat meat, never has and he's fine - like others have said, if he's getting a good diet it isn't a huge problem x

My avatar
Mareth
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox

Postby Mareth » Thu Apr 21, 2011 8:49 am

Rhys has only really bothered with meat at all in the last year, so since about 2.5y, before that he'd suck and chew at any meat on his plate, get the goodness out of it and then just spit it out. We'd try to discourage the spitting, but other than that just let him work away, he'd eat the rest of his dinner no problem, but at a young age meat was just too much work for him. I agree with some of the others, IMO there's no need to be supplementing or trying to fool him into eating it or anything.

In the last 3 or 4 months Rhys has become a complete meat monster, he'll eat the meat in his dinner first now, then ask for more and only have a few fork fulls of veggies. :lol: . Keep offering and there's a good chance Ryan will just start eating it one day.

My avatar
laceybat
Cloth Nappy Wise Woman
Cloth Nappy Wise Woman

Postby laceybat » Thu Apr 21, 2011 11:48 am

thank you for the reasurance it just that he's not gaining weight now and fallen off the chart was out with my mum for lunch and he eat her sausage so that good. i think it the chewing but he also gages on all meat so i don't know if thats normal either but he's always done that

My avatar
HighlandMum
Cloth Nappy Aficionado
Cloth Nappy Aficionado

Postby HighlandMum » Thu Apr 21, 2011 12:06 pm

Lacey Sandy will eat some meat but he doesnt like chewing it (or anything else for that matter). He is very lazy with his food its like he cant be bothered, i think i will be spoon feeding him until he is 20 at this rate. Just wanted to let you know you are not alone :hug:

My avatar
gayleygoo
Cloth Nappy Passionata
Cloth Nappy Passionata

Postby gayleygoo » Thu Apr 21, 2011 12:15 pm

Molly isn't fussed on meant either, she'll hardly eat it, unless of course its a sausage :roll: she's a carb lover, but eggs also have plenty of protein and she eats a couple of those a week. Baked beans too!

Next

Return to Recipes and other Culinary Delights