hf1

Cheap but tasty tea /dinner recipes.

My avatar
northernruth
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox

Re: Cheap but tasty tea /dinner recipes.

Postby northernruth » Mon Oct 03, 2011 8:11 pm

Oh and baked beans are great in chilli too :wink:

My avatar
scarlet
Cloth Nappy Aficionado
Cloth Nappy Aficionado

Postby scarlet » Mon Oct 03, 2011 8:16 pm

Tim and Pearl like baked beans but I hate them. I like plain beans and pulses but baked beans make me feel sick!

My avatar
KimmyM
Sucker for Cloth Nappies
Sucker for Cloth Nappies

Postby KimmyM » Mon Oct 03, 2011 8:24 pm

Have to say I always use a tin of kidney and baked beans in chilli really bulks it out and I don't think you can taste that they are baked beans. But that could be because I don't mind them usually if there is something you don't like it's all you can taste.

My avatar
est4elvis
Cloth Nappy Nutter
Cloth Nappy Nutter

Postby est4elvis » Mon Oct 03, 2011 8:27 pm

i made something form netmums today + thought it would be pants but it was sooo d'lish! garlic, onion, tuna, tinned tomatoes + oregano. mix up/cook then add to cooked pasta, put in an oven dish sprinkle grated cheese over + bake for 20 minutes. yum yum :mrgreen:

My avatar
Lizw
Cloth Nappy Lover
Cloth Nappy Lover

Postby Lizw » Mon Oct 03, 2011 8:27 pm

We use baked beans in chilli as well :) delicious

My avatar
JenKyleKaitlinRoo
Cloth Nappy Fanatic
Cloth Nappy Fanatic

Postby JenKyleKaitlinRoo » Mon Oct 03, 2011 8:34 pm

My mum used to put baked beans in everything when money was tight :roll:

Cottage pie had baked beans in and so did spaghetti bolognese. My 2 eldest won't eat baked beans which I hate as I'd love to bulk out some meals with them but they always notice :(

Some yummy sounding things on here though!

My avatar
zoeyboo
Cloth Nappy Aficionado
Cloth Nappy Aficionado

Postby zoeyboo » Mon Oct 03, 2011 8:40 pm

Risotto lovers here.

I do 3 mainly

Pancetta, Peas & Blue Cheese (normally dolcalate) also use an onion - for Pearl you can dish-up a small amount before striring the blue cheese through at the end if she doesn't like the taste, maybe added some normal grated cheddar etc.

Mushroom & Goats Cheese (dried porcini are a must, use the liquid from rehydrating as a stock, then any other mushrooms to bulk out)

Smoked Haddock, Leek & Mascapone (very very tasty)

Also like Pasta with potato shavings, pesto & brocalli (sp?) yummy.
Linguini with a simple tomato sauce and any random veg you need to use up, plus one of those smoked mattersons (sp?) sausages sliced up and some grated cheese to the top.

Home made Pizzas are good, and chilli as you've already got various versions.
Make a bolagnaise sauce (the bulking with lentils is a good idea) you can make a larger batch and freeze some to use another time, you can also then add kidney beans and chilli powder to make into a chilli or use it to make lasagna.

Shopping online is great idea, it cuts down on the unnecessary purchases and makes meal planning easier.

My avatar
Amanda
Cloth Nappy Worshipper
Cloth Nappy Worshipper

Postby Amanda » Mon Oct 03, 2011 9:19 pm

KimmyM wrote:Have to say I always use a tin of kidney and baked beans in chilli really bulks it out and I don't think you can taste that they are baked beans. But that could be because I don't mind them usually if there is something you don't like it's all you can taste.

Morrisons sells tins of mixed beans in tomato sauce for about 45p, which are haricot (baked beans), kidney, cannellini and borlotti beans, in baked bean type sauce. Brilliant for quick and easy chilli - soften onion and a bit of garlic, brown the mince with a stock cube crumbled in, add a tin of mixed beans, squirt of tomato puree, and season. Da Daaaa!

My avatar
northernruth
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox

Postby northernruth » Mon Oct 03, 2011 9:21 pm

scarlet wrote:Tim and Pearl like baked beans but I hate them. I like plain beans and pulses but baked beans make me feel sick!

I hate baked beans with a passion, I go mad if I get "bean juice" on my sausages etc at breakfast, and the smell makes me gip. But I can eat them in chilli no bother :wink:

PreviousNext

Return to Recipes and other Culinary Delights