hf1

When.

My avatar
Hannahboo
Sucker for Cloth Nappies
Sucker for Cloth Nappies

Re: When.

Postby Hannahboo » Fri Jun 01, 2012 3:30 am

I dont leave Darcy in the bath unless I need to grab her towel, but I can still see the bathroom from the airing cupboard so not as if I can't see her. She is only 23 months though so not as old as most of your LOs!

As for playing in different rooms, the only time we do this is when we are getting ready in the morning and we just leave her bedroom, our bedroom and bathroom doors open upstairs so she has free run and she usually spends most of the time following us round telling us what she is doing, or asking us what are we doing :giggle: Downstairs we have a stair gate on the living room door as we can't have one at the bottom of the stairs. Now she is getting a little older we aren't as worried about leaving the gate closed, but only if we are sitting in the living room so can hear what she is doing in the hall, my main worry is her getting out of the front door now she can reach the handle, so have to make sure door is locked and key is put up high at all times. If we have the doors open in to the dining room we dont mind her wandering in and out, but as soon as she goes through to the kitchen we give her a couple of minutes then go and ask her to come back in as we dont have locks on the cupboards and there are things in there that could be harmful. I think it really does depend on the child and how they would normally behave, there is always a first time for everything though so I have to say I tend to air on the side of caution :wink:

My avatar
Kirstyh
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox

Postby Kirstyh » Fri Jun 01, 2012 4:00 am

Gosh Grace has always played on her own, ahe will spend hours playing in her room or go get her drawing stuff out in the dining room on her own x

My avatar
karenandgeorgia
Cloth Nappy Wise Woman
Cloth Nappy Wise Woman

Postby karenandgeorgia » Fri Jun 01, 2012 4:09 am

Mine still seem to follow me round even now :giggle:

I have only just started popping out the room when G is in the bath staying well within earshot, D still won't leave her and she's 6. Can't remember when we started leaving the other 2 alone but Soph still baths with the door open so I can keep an eye on her. Ella shuts and locks herself in :giggle:

My avatar
KimmyM
Sucker for Cloth Nappies
Sucker for Cloth Nappies

Postby KimmyM » Fri Jun 01, 2012 4:20 am

Noo is 34mths and I don't leave him in the bathroom alone at all bit he happily plays in rooms I'm not in this is only a resent thing though and I dont like him to be alone for more than 10mins whilst I dont trust him an inch the rooms he can get on are child safe but I don't think it's nice for him to spend so much time alone.

My avatar
beck
Cloth Nappy Ninky Nonk
Cloth Nappy Ninky Nonk

Postby beck » Fri Jun 01, 2012 5:22 am

William and Phebie are 4&5 and I don't leave them at all, they bath in our ensuite tho so no need to leave at all. Hannah is 8 and doesn't really like baths, I do leave her to shower herself tho.

They all play in their own rooms and the toy room and have done since about 2.5 I still pop in now and then unexpectantly tho ;)

My avatar
Kirstyh
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox

Postby Kirstyh » Fri Jun 01, 2012 5:42 am

I don't let K and A locl the bathroom door, if they do they get hollered at to unlock it.
Do all kids have the nack of just knowing when you are in the bathroom and automatically yell "muuuuuuuuuum" which usually met by a sharp "WHAT" from me and some unmentionable mutterings and ofcourse when Grace is about she follows, oh to pee in peace :giggle:

My avatar
scarlet
Cloth Nappy Aficionado
Cloth Nappy Aficionado

Postby scarlet » Fri Jun 01, 2012 6:00 am

We have a small terrace house , the stairs are quite steep but Pearl is used to them. ( although I realise that doesn't mean she couldn't fall). We don't have stair gates or cupboard locks ect , not sure why just never got them.
Its really interesting to hear everyone's input , shame you don't get some parenting training. I always worry should or shouldn't I be doing certain things. haha :doh: :giggle:

My avatar
KimmyM
Sucker for Cloth Nappies
Sucker for Cloth Nappies

Postby KimmyM » Fri Jun 01, 2012 6:08 am

I Do always find it funny how we are all basically doing the same thing but everyone does it so differently. I know that sounds stupid but I know what I mean :lol:
I never bothered with cupboard locks as I was always about teaching nor to open same goes for he cor when he started climbing out I taught him not to most or my friends just bought beds. We are religious about our stair gates (but my mum almost died ok our stairs, so I'm probably alittle paranoid) but a new neighbour just moved in and thought it was weird we still used them for just Noo (if Flora is awake downstairs or asleep upstairs ect)

My avatar
Soupdragon
Cloth Nappy Worshipper
Cloth Nappy Worshipper

Postby Soupdragon » Fri Jun 01, 2012 6:23 am

Iris has been left alone in the bath since she was about 3 - but only for the amount of time it took to grab a new towel. And on condition that she sings at the top of her voice while we're out of the room. Now she's a little older, DH will take Callum out of the bath and get him dried in our bedroom while Iris is still in the bath (in our en suite). But, again, she has to talk or sing the whole time she's alone - which is only ever a few minutes.

Playing alone they've both done since they could walk. They come and go in and out of rooms as they please. They spend most time in the living room or Iris' room, as that's where the toys are. We have a single level home, so no stairs to worry about. And the kitchen has a stairgate on, so I tend to keep that closed.

PreviousNext

Return to Growing Up