hf1

Stuck in a bit of a rut

My avatar
northernruth
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox

Re: Stuck in a bit of a rut

Postby northernruth » Fri Oct 19, 2012 11:25 am

Playdough, sticking and gluing, cBeebies comic (they come wiht alittle toy but oftne have agood work book inside), we also had some Carol Vorderman workbooks but tbh I would leave the literacy for nursery if he's not interestedm, you don't want to put him off.

Baking was good here too and you can point out the words and say oh, how much butter do we neeed etc

Lego?

A bit of telly isn't the end of the world and there will be times we all need to rely on it more.

My avatar
Caroline
Cloth Nappy Aficionado
Cloth Nappy Aficionado

Postby Caroline » Fri Oct 19, 2012 1:11 pm

I would be tempted to leave the literacy until he shows an interest in it. However, Max and India both really love the website and iPad app starfall.com. It focuses on phonics, early stage reading and some basic maths. There are other sections they have recently added that are colours and games as well but, everything is gently educational. You could also consider combining TV with phonics learning by using some of the fun with phonics DVD's or the Mr Men Great Alphabet Hunt is another hit here.

Max loves playing with his train set, playdoh, tool box etc.... He has amazing dexterity and is much more coordinated than India was at this age. He is just learning differently to her and the fact that he doesn't know all his colours yet is offset by his ability to count (both repeating parrot fashion and counting objects).

N is still young so I'd just follow his lead for the time being.

My avatar
Miss_Purple
Cloth Nappy Aficionado
Cloth Nappy Aficionado

Postby Miss_Purple » Sat Oct 27, 2012 10:03 am

We are doing this today http://www.theimaginationtree.com/2012/ ... -salt.html although at the moment she is just making cakes with it as cooking is her new favourite thing, but I can see it would be good for mark making too.

My avatar
mrssproggit
Cloth Nappy Nutter
Cloth Nappy Nutter

Postby mrssproggit » Sun Oct 28, 2012 7:21 am

I'm no expert, but have recently discovered "alphablocks" which is a programme on tv and there's a magazine you can buy too. If you back date and ask the publisher, you may be able to get the foam letters that came out with the first magazine too. A loves them! Good luck!

x

My avatar
littlesez
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox
Site Supporter

Postby littlesez » Sun Oct 28, 2012 7:34 am

Agree with Caroline!

All great ideas on this thread and of course will benefit you both :D however i find it really sad that a nursery would say a 3 year old is behind at literacy :( The only thing a 3 year old "should" be doing IMO is playing which includes everything everyone has mentioned here but its like they learn as they play. All children have different interests it could be letters, numbers, construction anything :D

My avatar
charliesam
Cloth Nappy Fanatic
Cloth Nappy Fanatic

Postby charliesam » Sun Oct 28, 2012 7:46 am

littlesez wrote:Agree with Caroline!

All great ideas on this thread and of course will benefit you both :D however i find it really sad that a nursery would say a 3 year old is behind at literacy :( The only thing a 3 year old "should" be doing IMO is playing which includes everything everyone has mentioned here but its like they learn as they play. All children have different interests it could be letters, numbers, construction anything :D

I quite agree, Sam has only just developed an interest in letters at 4 and a half, but has loved numbers for ages, my midlle ds had no interest until he went to school at 5 but now at 11 is well above average in literacy.

Previous

Return to Growing Up