Sensory Processing Disorder

My avatar
Charlootle
Cloth Nappy Lover
Cloth Nappy Lover

Sensory Processing Disorder

Postby Charlootle » Wed Nov 07, 2012 11:20 am

Hello!

I haven't been here for a looong time, but I thought it would be a good place to ask for advice about special needs and 'gentle' parenting. I've had a lot of recommendations from people, both friends and professionals to use time outs, reward charts, not to give in etc, and a lot of these things don't sit comfortably with me. For example, DS's (aged 4.5) SPD means he has weak core strength and muscle tone, he struggles to walk far at all, he gets very upset, and I either carry him or use the buggy if he can't scoot. I have lost count of the comments. I do encourage him to walk, and we are working on it, but I just don't push him too hard, because would you make an adult with special needs climb several flights of stairs when it was clearly incredibly difficult?! A SENCO who is a friend of my mums told me I should time DS out, even if he doesn't know what he's done wrong, and force him to walk however much he cries... I had to struggle very hard to stay polite.

Does anyone have any advice, or similar experiences? I would be so grateful.

Also can anyone recommend night nappies that are like pull ups? DS is complaining that his cloth is too 'babyish' because they fasten like nappies and I wondered if he might accept a washable pull up version better. He is trained in the day but nowhere near at night.

Thanks for reading, if you've got this far!

Charlotte x

My avatar
clothmama
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox
Site Admin

Re: Sensory Processing Disorder

Postby clothmama » Wed Nov 07, 2012 12:18 pm

Honestly I think what you are doing sounds fine and the other suggestions sound pretty harsh :hug: you are his mum, trust your instinct!

Re the nappies, Minki do a side snap that is pretty similar looking to a pull up, the material is stretchy so you can pull them up and down and just use poppers if you have a mess!

My avatar
littlesez
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox
Site Supporter

Postby littlesez » Wed Nov 07, 2012 12:33 pm

What the hell? force him to walk jeez :evil:

Carry on as your are hun, does he have physio?

My avatar
emmavmorgan
Sucker for Cloth Nappies
Sucker for Cloth Nappies

Postby emmavmorgan » Wed Nov 07, 2012 12:52 pm

Does he see an Occupational Therapist, my ds's OT is the most realistic professional person I have met regarding Ds's progress and is also fantastic with little tips to make things generally easier.
:hug:

My avatar
Charlootle
Cloth Nappy Lover
Cloth Nappy Lover

Postby Charlootle » Wed Nov 07, 2012 1:11 pm

Thank you, ladies :hug: It's so nice to have a non judgemental response from people!

DS does see an OT every week, she has come into his school and made recommendations and he's on an enhanced IEP SEN plan in school - so that is all going great. The OT is still working on his concentration, so we haven't been able to move onto muscle strength, yet. He's only been going since September. Today, he's wearing tubigrip supports on his calves, which she suggested. I just feel some people's approach just seems to be about 'how can you get him to do what is NORMAL' - and obviously, i want DS to get the most from life, but not at a cost to his self esteem and his sense of autonomy. And if I'm not on his side, who will be?

You're right, though, I just need to trust myself (which has been hard, since before he was diagnosed with SPD I really thought it was something I was doing wrong) and try not to let other people's comment affect me, too much.

Thank you again :D And I will check out the minki stretchy side nappies!

My avatar
red_dwarf
Cloth Nappy Aficionado
Cloth Nappy Aficionado

Postby red_dwarf » Wed Nov 07, 2012 2:09 pm

Have you thought about slinging? Then it foeld up into your bag rather than you dragging a pushchair everywhere :)

My avatar
Bluebell
Cloth Nappy Addict
Cloth Nappy Addict

Postby Bluebell » Wed Nov 07, 2012 7:44 pm

Willy Winkies do a pull up, they'd probably do a custum night pull up if you messaged them.

My avatar
Charlootle
Cloth Nappy Lover
Cloth Nappy Lover

Postby Charlootle » Wed Nov 07, 2012 8:47 pm

red_dwarf wrote:Have you thought about slinging? Then it foeld up into your bag rather than you dragging a pushchair everywhere :)

I had a Boba, which I have now lent to a friend. I used it up until fairly recently but I started to struggle even though DS isn't that big at 16kg and 1m tall, his legs hung down quite awkwardly and I found it a bit hard to walk steadily! It was great, though, and brilliant when he was smaller, so useful at museums and things.

I will check out the willy winkies :)

My avatar
red_dwarf
Cloth Nappy Aficionado
Cloth Nappy Aficionado

Postby red_dwarf » Wed Nov 07, 2012 8:53 pm

Sounds like the carrier got too small. Do you have a sling library you can get to?

Next

Return to Growing Up