hf1

Smacking

My avatar
ems101
Cloth Nappy Disciple
Cloth Nappy Disciple

Smacking

Postby ems101 » Fri May 31, 2013 7:44 pm

Smacking children. ... yey or nay. Discuss...

My avatar
docmaggoo
Cloth Nappy Aficionado
Cloth Nappy Aficionado

Re: Smacking

Postby docmaggoo » Fri May 31, 2013 7:59 pm

No!

Nothing to discuss here... Just No! Never!

My avatar
Caroline
Cloth Nappy Aficionado
Cloth Nappy Aficionado

Postby Caroline » Fri May 31, 2013 8:05 pm

Not for me, no.

I was smacked as a child but have never felt the need to smack the people I love most in the world. I'm the adult in the relationship who needs to stay in control and not break my own rules (no hitting!!). It never enters my head to do it (and my DH feels the same).

India saw a child being smacked recently and asked me what it was called when an adult hits a child and why they did it. It's an interesting shift in society as it was commonplace to see smacking when I was growing up.

My avatar
sim
Cloth Nappy Wise Woman
Cloth Nappy Wise Woman

Postby sim » Fri May 31, 2013 8:20 pm

No, never.
I believe in treating children the way you want them to learn to treat others (and you).

Caroline wrote:I ... have never felt the need to smack the people I love most in the world. I'm the adult in the relationship who needs to stay in control and not break my own rules (no hitting!!)

This ^^^

My avatar
ems101
Cloth Nappy Disciple
Cloth Nappy Disciple

Postby ems101 » Fri May 31, 2013 9:04 pm

Big fat nay from me too. I just cannot see how or why people can justify hitting someone smaller and weaker and someone who they are meant to love and protect. I know people loose their rag and I have felt the urge to lash out before (not just at the children) but wouldnt do it and alwsys feel really alarmed that ive been on the edge of loosing it.

Id find it alot worse if someone tried to justify smacking a child, but hadnt actually smacked, rather than someone who had smacked after loosing their temper but knew it was wrong and thought about how not to do it again
)

My avatar
Shaunie
Cloth Nappy Worshipper
Cloth Nappy Worshipper

Postby Shaunie » Sat Jun 01, 2013 2:56 pm

No here too. I have reached the point where I feel I could have done but just make a growling sound instead! I would never forgive myself. DH is very anti smacking & has never reached the point of wanting to smack. He came from a home where his Dad was violent and is even more anti smacking because of it.

I had the occasional smack on the bum as a child, not regularly, not hard and it was when we were older as in not toddlers!

My avatar
girlinleeds
Cloth Nappy Guru
Cloth Nappy Guru

Postby girlinleeds » Sat Jun 01, 2013 6:30 pm

Nope never, I was hit far too much as a child and it made me fear my dad I was so scared of him I never want pippa to feel like that

My avatar
littlesez
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox
Site Supporter

Postby littlesez » Sat Jun 01, 2013 8:55 pm

No no no never.

My avatar
northernruth
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox

Postby northernruth » Tue Jun 04, 2013 9:26 am

No. Although I was smacked regularly as a child. My memory of my Mum doing it was that she lost her rag and would smack and smack and smack us. I only remember Dad smacking me once, outside church. He had told me that if I didn't sit quiet he would smack me when we got outside and he did, in full view of all the congregation leaving. The humiliation was worse than the smacking.

My mum still defends it but I am gradually winning her over to the idea that you don't show children that hitting is wrong by hitting them. She was a primary school teacher tho in the 50s and 60s and they used to smack the children in the class.

I think we are still evolving in our attitude to what is acceptable for children. I think that many instances of bullying for example are dealt with as if they didn't involve physical violence - some things that children do to each other in the playground would be a matter for the police if they involved adults.

Next

Return to Growing Up