My avatar
littlesez
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox
Site Supporter

Wwyd

Postby littlesez » Wed Oct 08, 2014 6:30 pm

Just had parents evening and wow all the usual amazing izzy stuff :dancing:

So izzy has already been moved into year 2 for read write Inc. At the start of this year which means every morning for about 40 mins which is fine. But there is talk of doing the same for maths with a little hesitation.

I dunno what to do ? Any thoughts ?

My avatar
Dancing mum
Cloth Nappy Nutter
Cloth Nappy Nutter

Re: Wwyd

Postby Dancing mum » Wed Oct 08, 2014 7:34 pm

What is it you're worried about... Pushing her too much... Splitting up from friends??
Does she enjoy being with the older kids for reading etc? If she does then she might quite like joining them for maths too.

My avatar
Sunset
Cloth Nappy Addict
Cloth Nappy Addict

Postby Sunset » Wed Oct 08, 2014 8:27 pm

Our school has mixed year groups, year 1/2, year 3/4, etc. so they will put the children together on activities that are at the same level so year 1's could be working with year 2's. I think it works well as it matches them to their ability, so if she is ready for it then I would be happy with it.

My avatar
Soupdragon
Cloth Nappy Worshipper
Cloth Nappy Worshipper

Postby Soupdragon » Wed Oct 08, 2014 10:42 pm

It depends why there's concerns about moving her up. If it's because of whether she'd cope, I'd say it's not worth risking turning her off maths. While it's good for her to be challenged, it's also important for her to succeed; there's nothing worse than trying your best at something and failing at it. Maths is so crucial, it's important for her to enjoy it first and foremost.

My avatar
clothmama
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox
Site Admin

Postby clothmama » Wed Oct 08, 2014 10:55 pm

Soupdragon wrote:It depends why there's concerns about moving her up. If it's because of whether she'd cope, I'd say it's not worth risking turning her off maths. While it's good for her to be challenged, it's also important for her to succeed; there's nothing worse than trying your best at something and failing at it. Maths is so crucial, it's important for her to enjoy it first and foremost.

Couldn't have put it better!

My biggest concerns with moving kids around is the social side of things but it sounds like it wouldn't be an issue as she is with her class most of the time. Are there other kids moving about as well?

My avatar
clothsister
Cloth Nappy Addict
Cloth Nappy Addict

Postby clothsister » Thu Oct 09, 2014 2:08 am

I can't offer any advice as mine aren't school age yet but just wanted to say well done Izzy!!! :yahoo: :yahoo:

My avatar
littlesez
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox
Site Supporter

Postby littlesez » Thu Oct 09, 2014 3:20 am

Exactly!

Soupdragon wrote:It depends why there's concerns about moving her up. If it's because of whether she'd cope, I'd say it's not worth risking turning her off maths. While it's good for her to be challenged, it's also important for her to succeed; there's nothing worse than trying your best at something and failing at it. Maths is so crucial, it's important for her to enjoy it first and foremost.

I have no doubt she would cope but don't want to take the fun out of maths . LOL at my 5 year old being excited about maths in the first place :hohoho:

Tory she is very adaptable to moving around there a couple of others with her for English , her actual reading partner is in year 4 :shock: but for maths she would be the only one

My avatar
g murphy
Cloth Nappy Aficionado
Cloth Nappy Aficionado

Postby g murphy » Thu Oct 09, 2014 9:45 am

This^^^

But wow well done Izzy!! x

My avatar
littlesez
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox
Site Supporter

Postby littlesez » Thu Oct 16, 2014 6:18 am

She went to yr 2 for a session and came back with a badge :love: I think I will speak to teacher about maybe moving her up either after half term or after Christmas because she really enjoyed it but don't want to rush her into it

Next

Return to Growing Up