My avatar
clothmama
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox
Site Admin

Summer Rules for a more peaceful house!

Postby clothmama » Fri Jul 01, 2016 8:08 am

emmavmorgan wrote:Image
Sorry not the best quality, I just took a quick photo of it!

I love @emmavmorgan 's Summer rules. We also have huge computer time issues (the 2 older boys would literally spend all day on if they were given the chance) and with so much to do at home we really need the kids to not spent pretty much all day with their heads in front of a screen! We have a bit of an added issue as I don't' want to stop Josh having time to speak to his mates in Australia in the mornings so thinking I'm going to have a morning list and an afternoon list. There is also stuff I want them to do over a week, for example go to the pool at least 3 times a week (weather permitting) so i need to work out how to do that and they also have different jobs each so I'm going to need to do 2 lists! Ekk I'm loving how simple Emmas is - mine may get a bit complicated but lets give it a go!

Josh and Louis
Before morning screen time have you?:
  • Made your bed
  • Got dressed
  • Had breakfast
  • Washed and brushed hair
  • cleaned teeth
  • brought down any dirty clothes / clothes away and checked your space is tidy?
PLUS
  • Tidy living room (toys, things on floor and sweep / vac) OR dishwasher (unload and load and wipe benches and stack non-dishwasher pans in right sink) (alternate days or weeks - decide between you)
  • 1/2 hour holiday school books/Josh Duolingo Spanish OR 1/2 hour music / art / story writing (alternate days)
NOW check with mum or dad if there is a job you can do or if you can go on the computer

Afternoon:
  • Pool minimum 3x / week
  • Play with Remy so mum can get some stuff done (time depending on what is happening)
  • 3 x / week help in garden (weeding, raking etc) for 1/2 hour
  • Check with mum and dad if there are any house jobs you can do
  • If not a pool day minimum 1/2 hour play / ride outside
  • 3 x / week something creative - art / craft / cooking / baking / sewing / costume making etc
NOW check with mum or dad if there is a job you can do or if you can go on the computer

PLUS:
  • Thursdays is the evening to put the bins out. Josh please do this each week without being asked.
  • Compost to go out as needed. Louis please check it daily and take if more than 3/4 full.
  • Evenings you are to cook a healthy meal once a week during the holidays (please include some sort of veg or salad not just pasta!). Please provide me with the ingredients for your next 2 weeks of meals so I can make sure I buy them.
  • If you are not cooking you need to make sure the dishwasher is loaded and the benches wiped down (do this together it gets it done quicker!
  • July will be busy getting ready for the medieval festival / mums birthday / Snookies visit / the garden / the chickens but August will be more chilled out with lots of days out etc so please jump in and help lots this month :D
If you are not doing what you need to or wingeing / whining / being miserable you will loose computer privileges so please do what is on the list without being asked and in a cheerful manner so we can have a fun non naggy summer :widesmile: :dancing:

What do you all think?

My avatar
Bugglyboo
Sucker for Cloth Nappies
Sucker for Cloth Nappies

Re: Summer Rules for tweens and teens!

Postby Bugglyboo » Fri Jul 01, 2016 9:00 am

I love it. Think I may introduce something like this for the boys.

My avatar
littlesez
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox
Site Supporter

Re: Summer Rules!

Postby littlesez » Fri Jul 01, 2016 9:27 am

Its abit overwhelming. I reckon simplify it.

First I would scrap the last paragraph because if they haven't done the jobs they don't get computer time anyway. Also I would highly recommend completely ignoring any whinging, moaning and just praise them when they do the jobs. I know I moan when I do housework :giggle: and they will soon learn they get computer time if they get on with it.

A simple list , obviously ours is pictures for leon but izzy loves a good old tick list

Morning

Make bed and dirty clothes in basket
Clean clothes away and tidy room
Wash, clean teeth, brush hair
Get dressed
Tidy lounge,wipe and sweep
Dishwasher
Half hour of reading, duolingo, music, art. (Alternate)

COMPUTER TIME

Afternoon

One hour of outdoor play or pool time plus 15mins gardening

Indoor activities reading, art, music, baking, craft, sewing

Half hour of play with remy then tidy up together

COMPUTER TIME

Evening
Help with tea or make it
Dishwasher, wipe and sweep
Check bins and compost, take out when needed and Thursday is bin day.

It's just an example but I think kids switch off with too much info. Hope you dont mind me saying. I found it easier to have one simple daily list coz adding weekly stuff just got lost xx

My avatar
littlesez
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox
Site Supporter

Re: Summer Rules for tweens and teens!

Postby littlesez » Fri Jul 01, 2016 9:32 am

Im gonna do one for us :) feeling inspiration thanks Tory !

My avatar
clothmama
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox
Site Admin

Re: Summer Rules for a more peaceful house!

Postby clothmama » Fri Jul 01, 2016 10:33 am

I do see your point although I was thinking if I spell it out they can't do the 'we didn't' know' spiel :roll: and yes agree with the taking out the last bit :oops: :giggle: positive parenting and all that! I might show them the 'full version' but then print off the simpler one.

@littlesez I've changed the title too - not sure why I thought it would be only older kids who could benefit from some summer structure!

My avatar
sim
Cloth Nappy Wise Woman
Cloth Nappy Wise Woman

Postby sim » Fri Jul 01, 2016 1:11 pm

This is my draft for Ewan

My avatar
sim
Cloth Nappy Wise Woman
Cloth Nappy Wise Woman

Postby sim » Fri Jul 01, 2016 1:12 pm

We will have lots of trips to the park and I'm thinking of buying a summer pass to the soft play in town so there will be plenty of extra exercise - the 30 mins is the bare minimum for a stay at home day.

My avatar
clothmama
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox
Site Admin

Postby clothmama » Fri Jul 01, 2016 1:31 pm

Wow I'm wondering if my boys don't do enough helping when I see what you have Ewan doing already @sim !!

My avatar
sim
Cloth Nappy Wise Woman
Cloth Nappy Wise Woman

Postby sim » Fri Jul 01, 2016 6:33 pm

@clothmama He doesn't do all of them all the time (and I often need to redo things) but he's pretty adept at wiping the dining table down with a baby wipe or handy-vaccing under the dining table. He can take rubbish out to the bins if we get the bag out of the kitchen bin and both boys unpack the dishwasher together (I do sharp knives and glasses plus mugs which live out of their reach). And both of them help load / unload the washing machine. Putting his own washing away is a newish one and E is awful at it but we're working on it!

Next

Return to Growing Up