hf1

Household jobs/chores

My avatar
LynniferT
Cloth Nappy Addict
Cloth Nappy Addict

Household jobs/chores

Postby LynniferT » Sun Jan 29, 2017 10:20 pm

Ok, i have 5 children and out of those 5 only the 19month old like to help empty the dishwasher :roll:

I need my children to take their chores/jobs on board and get on with it rather than fight me all the way.

What is the fairest way to assign chores? We get confused to 'whose turn' it is as DH and i will ask different children to do different things etc and not realise.

I have a 14, 12, 9 and 6 yr old that are all capable of doing jobs. Kind of jobs we have are:
Emptying dishwasher
Emptying bins
Clearing table
Setting table

I dont ask them all the time to tidy rooms etc but any 'ongoing jobs' like clothes in laundry, make beds also need to be tackled. They literally moan if asked to do anything and if i threaten to remove phones/xboxes etc the job doesnt get done anyway because they are stroppy... whats the best way to get them onside with the job thing?

They dont get pocket money as we pay for a lot of clubs and they have treats they would spend money on anyway IYGWIM.

DH and i are fed up of asking them to do stuff and getting the answer 'its not my turn' or 'i'll do it later' or the classic 'why should i?'

Any simple replies to the last one that are to the point and will shut the lazy monkeys up (mainly the 2 older ones!!) would also be much appreciated.

So what do you do in your household?

My avatar
littlesez
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox
Site Supporter

Re: Household jobs/chores

Postby littlesez » Mon Jan 30, 2017 2:10 am

We have to do a routine or the world stops lol

So in the morning izzy has a ticklist as she likes a list of everything so she can see whats what, leon gets one job at a time or he gets overwhelmed!

So, they are allowed to chill, play or read if they want to first because they usually get up at 6am and we don't set of til 8.40, later at weekends.

The deal is do your jobs, then you get screen time which is DS or TV. If they want to take all morning and run out of time tough. If they are ready quickly with two hours to spare, they get the whole two hours !

Morning jobs are....

get dressed, plus put dirty clothes in basket and clean clothes away.

Make bed and tidy room

Brush hair and teeth

Rabbit care (let them out, food, water, clean)

school shoes on and pack bookbag

Ijust kept repeating the same thing again and again, no discussions/nagging. "When your chart is complete then you can have your DS" They quickly learned that just getting a move on = tons of screen time :)

Evenings are....

Set table or help cook, eat then dirties into the sink

Reading/homework

Get ready for clubs OR free play but no screen time yet

Tidy own stuff away, clothes, books, toys, bikes, shoes, anything that is not mine !

DS or TV

Bedtime routine.

Weekends....

Weekdays there isn't time for chores other than the daily pick up after yourself rule so we do housework blast. They still have to pick up own clothes, empties, dirties, mess,toys. These are known as free jobs, then they can opt to do extras in exchange for sweets :hohoho: They usually choose as follows...

Leon- whole weeks recycling! Cleaning windows, washing up cleaning kitchen, mopping.

Izzy - big clean of the rabbit shed, hoovering, washing up, polishing

Sorry for long post !

My avatar
confusinglady
Cloth Nappy Passionata
Cloth Nappy Passionata

Postby confusinglady » Mon Jan 30, 2017 7:05 am

I'm tackling this at the moment too. The attitude of 'I don't care, why should I' is creeping in here.
Be back later with my plan :thumbsup:

My avatar
JabberJabber
Cloth Nappy Prophet
Cloth Nappy Prophet

Postby JabberJabber » Mon Jan 30, 2017 9:08 am

Oh my, I'm going to be following this as I'm exhausted with the stroppiness.

My avatar
clothmama
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox
Site Admin

Postby clothmama » Mon Jan 30, 2017 9:51 am

Will reply later when not a :zombie: suffice to say for the moment you are not alone :hug:

My avatar
LynniferT
Cloth Nappy Addict
Cloth Nappy Addict

Postby LynniferT » Mon Jan 30, 2017 10:53 am

Glad i am not the only one... it just makes my workload twice as heavy when they refuse to do stuff, the older ones especially could do more to help but they are the worst to ask!

My avatar
littlesez
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox
Site Supporter

Postby littlesez » Mon Jan 30, 2017 12:22 pm

maybe just give them none negotiable jobs and optional extra jobs for rewards. Its unreasonable especially for the older ones to expect you to clean up after a family of 7!

How about get the older ones to do jobs that require more responsibility like cooking, shopping,heavy gardening, cleaning cars, errands, DIY.

I stopped all treats they have to earn money and then buy their own, even leon ! So if they want an icecream they pay out of their own money.

Maybe if they earned their own pocket money it would help ? Ive seen vast improvement, especially in izzy she will now look at prices and weigh up the value of things. She has announced she is saving up for a car, leon just wants ice cream :hohoho:

My avatar
autumnalgirl
Cloth Nappy Passionata
Cloth Nappy Passionata

Postby autumnalgirl » Mon Jan 30, 2017 12:56 pm

I'm with Leon!

My avatar
emmavmorgan
Sucker for Cloth Nappies
Sucker for Cloth Nappies

Postby emmavmorgan » Mon Jan 30, 2017 2:35 pm

My boys have none negotiable jobs they are 8 and very nearly 11. They are responsible for their own bedrooms, putting dirty clothes into the right laundry basket (whites, coloureds, darks). Tom sets the table for every meal, Sam clears the table at every meal. They also cook on Thursday (Sam one week Tom the next as cooking together caused to many arguments :roll: ) they have to work out what they are going to cook on a Sunday and make me a shopping list of ingredients. I don't pay them for jobs but they do get €2 a week each pocket money.

Next

Return to Growing Up