White patches on teeth

My avatar
clothsister
Cloth Nappy Addict
Cloth Nappy Addict

White patches on teeth

Postby clothsister » Sat Nov 18, 2017 7:03 am

Hi,

My now 7 year old has white patches on her teeth. Anyone had anything similar with their lo’s? Any advice? X

My avatar
confusinglady
Cloth Nappy Passionata
Cloth Nappy Passionata

Re: White patches on teeth

Postby confusinglady » Sat Nov 18, 2017 8:19 am

My oldest has a few white bits on her teeth that the dentist also pointed out to us. He was interested if I had them or my husband and suggested it runs in families.
I think it to do with too much fluoride. He just said to keep an eye on it.

My avatar
clothmama
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox
Site Admin

Re: White patches on teeth

Postby clothmama » Sun Nov 19, 2017 8:29 am

clothsister wrote:Hi,

My now 7 year old has white patches on her teeth. Anyone had anything similar with their lo’s? Any advice? X

Have they been there since she got her big teeth? Apparently that is likely to be excess fluoride. If they are new possibly not
If the white spots were not there when the tooth erupted, and have formed recently, this is likely the beginning stage of decay. Plaque that sits on the tooth surface will cause demineralization. It will appear as a white lesion, usually near the gum line. If you notice this, a visit to your dentist is recommended. If the white spot is superficial, then a topical application of fluoride can be done to strengthen the lesion. If the white spot has become a cavity, then a filling will be done to prevent it from getting bigger and spreading to other teeth.
Read more at http://northshoremama.ca/why-is-there-a ... 7hgUkLX.99

Might be worth a trip to the dentist to check!

Return to Growing Up