hf1

Speech therapy

My avatar
karenandgeorgia
Cloth Nappy Wise Woman
Cloth Nappy Wise Woman

Speech therapy

Postby karenandgeorgia » Sat Jan 31, 2009 10:13 pm

Has anyone any experience of speech therapy? Georgia has her first appointment on friday and I want to be prepared. Some of the words she says correctly are Mammy, Daddy and bath, probably a few more but I can't think of them right now. She does have a wide vocabularly but her pronunciation is nearly as bad as my spelling :lol: Her understanding is fantastic she is a bright little thing and knows colours, shapes, she can count objects correctly and is beginning to recognise numbers.

What might they ask or do with her?

My avatar
flutterby
Cloth Nappy Prophet
Cloth Nappy Prophet

Re: Speech therapy

Postby flutterby » Mon Feb 02, 2009 12:52 am

I can't really help much, I just wanted to wish Georgia good luck for Friday!

My avatar
Amanda
Cloth Nappy Worshipper
Cloth Nappy Worshipper

Postby Amanda » Sat Feb 07, 2009 10:46 pm

Also nothing to add, just to wish you luck for Friday.

Can I ask, what prompted you to see a speech therapist? Connor has very poor pronunciation of certain letters - can't say 's' at the start of a word for example - but I've never thought to follow it up. I do worry a bit about his speech now that he's at preschool, as I want him to be able to communicate well... Sorry if you've mentioned it somewhere else :oops:

My avatar
karenandgeorgia
Cloth Nappy Wise Woman
Cloth Nappy Wise Woman

Postby karenandgeorgia » Sun Feb 08, 2009 12:46 am

Georgia has a wide vocab and talks in sentences but although she gets the correct number of syllables most words are just di, dee or da (ie Sophie and potty are deedee) to the point that I really struggle to understand what she is saying. She can make a lot of the letter sounds but does not use them in her words.

The appointment went really well, we worked on letter sounds and face to face practise so Georgia could see what shape my mouth was to make the sounds and we came away with 5 focus words that we are to work at in this way. One of the words to practice is Sophie and over the weekend I have been working with it and she is now saying it more like 'Sdofdi' :lol:

The speech therapist did have a development chart showing what they should be doing at 2-3 yrs and there were still a lot of sounds that it said were still developing. I think that all sounds should be pronounced correctly by age 5, so quite some time for our little ones yet. If you are concerned mention it to your health visitor, that is who gave us our referal.

My avatar
Velvetsteph
Cloth Nappy Clanger
Cloth Nappy Clanger

Postby Velvetsteph » Sun Feb 08, 2009 9:35 pm

Interesting reading this as I'm thinking of seeing if Isabelle needs some help as she's almost incomprehensible sometimes!

We are working on it with her but need some pointers from a qualified person I think on how best to help her really...

My avatar
Amanda
Cloth Nappy Worshipper
Cloth Nappy Worshipper

Postby Amanda » Sun Feb 08, 2009 10:20 pm

I'm pleased the appointment went well, and it sounds like Georgia is already making progress :D

It'd be interesting to see a development chart, might pop into the HV drop-in sometime soon and ask her opinion, although he doesn't really speak 'on command', so not sure she'll have much to go on :lol:

My avatar
karenandgeorgia
Cloth Nappy Wise Woman
Cloth Nappy Wise Woman

Postby karenandgeorgia » Sun Feb 08, 2009 10:37 pm

Georgia is not one to talk to people she doesn't know, so I was very suprised the way she opened up on Friday. They used a jigsaw, books and a dippy bag of objects to get her to say what things were, it was manily just Georgia and I playing and the woman was listening.

From what I heard of Connor singing and shouting 'go go go' at the lights in your car he is doing great with his talking :D It is a worry though when they start pre-school and you wonder if others will understand them. I know Georges nursery teachers really well and they have asked for an interpreter :lol: We'll get there soon I'm sure, she has really tried hard this weekend.

My avatar
Annette
Cloth Nappy Ninky Nonk
Cloth Nappy Ninky Nonk

Postby Annette » Mon Feb 09, 2009 4:03 pm

Glad it went well and I am sure she will chatting away to you in no time :D

My avatar
Steph
Cloth Nappy Fanatic
Cloth Nappy Fanatic