hf1

When do you clean your LO's teeth

My avatar
northernruth
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox

When do you clean your LO's teeth

Postby northernruth » Wed Apr 14, 2010 7:25 am

After watching the programme last night about Alder Hey, I was horrified at the tooth decay in the kiddies. But I clean Martha's teeth at night and then give her her bedtime milk. I think this is not good. She doesn't go to bed with a bottle, which seems to be the worst offender.

What does anyone else do? I'm thinking we should change our routine :-?

My avatar
pinksalmon2001
Sucker for Cloth Nappies
Sucker for Cloth Nappies

Re: When do you clean your LO's teeth

Postby pinksalmon2001 » Wed Apr 14, 2010 7:28 am

I clean Tylers in the morning when I do mine (usually after breakfast) and in the evening when he is in the bath - he then has a BF before he goes to bed though so the same as you. The only problem I would have I think is the bf chills him out and then he goes to bed fine whereas cleaning his teeth would wake him right up again :-?

My avatar
twinkletot
Cloth Nappy Disciple
Cloth Nappy Disciple

Postby twinkletot » Wed Apr 14, 2010 7:29 am

I clean them in the morning after his milk and breakfast and in the evening after his milk. Makes it easier that he has it downstarirs I think. If he had his milk upstairs it would be harder to do it that way tbh.

My avatar
victoriaw
Cloth Nappy Addict
Cloth Nappy Addict

Postby victoriaw » Wed Apr 14, 2010 7:31 am

How funny, I was thinking about asking this question as it looks like Antonia's teeth are finally (at 14 months) going to make an appearance!

At the moment she still feeds to sleep really - at least she is very, very sleepy from her (breast milk) feed when I put her into her bed and I am not liking the thought of waking her up and brushing her teeth. :oops:
Last edited by victoriaw on Wed Apr 14, 2010 7:34 am, edited 1 time in total.

My avatar
50ftQueenie
Cloth Nappy Aficionado
Cloth Nappy Aficionado

Postby 50ftQueenie » Wed Apr 14, 2010 7:32 am

Unless she's having breast milk, I would probably change the routine. Having said that, DS used to have milk after he cleaned his teeth. He also ate loads of dried fruit and drank gallons of fruit juice (have the MIL to thank for his refusal to drink anything else), both things that get blamed for tooth decay. But.... the dentist has always said his teeth are perfect. Ask the dentist next time you go. :wink:

We clean our Martha's teeth before her bedtime milk, but she is still breast-fed and mummy milk doesn't decay teeth the way cows milk can, (despite what certain "experts" on GMTV might say)

My avatar
pinksalmon2001
Sucker for Cloth Nappies
Sucker for Cloth Nappies

Postby pinksalmon2001 » Wed Apr 14, 2010 7:45 am

50ftQueenie wrote:We clean our Martha's teeth before her bedtime milk, but she is still breast-fed and mummy milk doesn't decay teeth the way cows milk can, (despite what certain "experts" on GMTV might say)

That puts my mind at ease a bit - will change the routine once he isn't bf anymore

My avatar
eviesmummy
Cloth Nappy Ninky Nonk
Cloth Nappy Ninky Nonk

Postby eviesmummy » Wed Apr 14, 2010 7:50 am

Mostly after breakfast and then again just before bedtime.

My avatar
holmes2974
Cloth Nappy Lover
Cloth Nappy Lover

Postby holmes2974 » Wed Apr 14, 2010 7:57 am

After morning milk, and after bedtime milk - last thing before a cuddle and kiss goodnight.
Wasn't that programme sad - such a shame to see all those children only having problems because of the things we parents do....

My avatar
Amanda
Cloth Nappy Worshipper
Cloth Nappy Worshipper

Postby Amanda » Wed Apr 14, 2010 8:05 am

I do both boys' teeth after breakfast and last thing before bed. They have supper and milk downstairs, then upstairs to get ready for bed, wash and clean teeth. They have a bath on alternate nights and brush teeth in the bath those nights.

Next

Return to Growing Up