hf1

Sticker club?

My avatar
mabo
Cloth Nappy Fanatic
Cloth Nappy Fanatic

Sticker club?

Postby mabo » Mon May 03, 2010 6:19 am

Has anyone participated or heard of this?

Joshua got a letter home today from his best friend in school. It is basically identical to this one and seemed pretty harmless at first.
So we now have a little selection of stickers ready to send to the person on our list in spot 1... but I just did a bit of research online and am reading that this is pretty much the same as a chain letter, and they never receive 36 packets of stickers back...

Now I dont want Joshua to be disappointed, he has the memory of an elephant so there is no way he would forget - yet at the same time I do trust the people from school and can imagine that this would stay within the school... but....... should I?

I would work the odds out myself but my brain isnt functioning right now :giggle:

My avatar
freckle
Cloth Nappy Addict
Cloth Nappy Addict

Re: Sticker club?

Postby freckle » Mon May 03, 2010 6:23 am

Can you check with his teacher/other parents at school? It may be that if you do take the time to send them all out the school will then hear about it going on in the meantime and put a stop to it so he wont get any. I imagine he'll never get the full amount as lots of parents wont do it but he may get a few if it's just close friends and the school are ok with it and that could still be nice for him.

My avatar
Annette
Cloth Nappy Ninky Nonk
Cloth Nappy Ninky Nonk

Postby Annette » Fri May 07, 2010 10:38 am

mmmmm well it can't work can it? If each child is only sending out 1 set of stickers then how can every one of them receive 36 sets back? Just wouldn't work would it?

ETA - it is a very innocent version of those pyramid saving schemes that make all sorts of promises they just cannot ever deliver

My avatar
mabo
Cloth Nappy Fanatic
Cloth Nappy Fanatic

Postby mabo » Fri May 07, 2010 11:00 am

Well I spoke to the mum in question and she said that she was actually quite horrified herself when her daughter had received 2 of them, but figured it might be a nice idea and decided to send one on...

I've decided not to do it myself and luckily, Joshua hasnt asked about it since.

My avatar
Annette
Cloth Nappy Ninky Nonk
Cloth Nappy Ninky Nonk

Postby Annette » Fri May 07, 2010 11:10 am

I think it is probably best to just knock it on the head if you can - you would just be creating the same problem for 6 other parents to decide how to deal with :wink:

Return to Growing Up