hf1

spoilt baby?

My avatar
emmalala
Cloth Nappy Wise Woman
Cloth Nappy Wise Woman

Re: spoilt baby?

Postby emmalala » Wed Jun 02, 2010 8:51 am

my MIL is exactly the same, if not worse! she's a legend on this forum :lol: her latest thing is I'm making daniel a wimp because he sleeps with me and I sling him every time he's upset. :roll: just remember as someone posted before, Mother in law rearranged is HITLER WOMAN! :lol:

My avatar
jasmine b
Cloth Nappy Nutter
Cloth Nappy Nutter

Postby jasmine b » Wed Jun 02, 2010 6:28 pm

Velvetsteph wrote:
Shevi wrote:
jasmine b wrote: i recently bought a sticker " still breastfeeding ... still none of your business" to stick on our fridge for certain people to notice next time theyre round. a bit drastic but i felt better after i put it up ! :giggle:

LOVE IT!!!!! where did you find it?

You should get it on a t-shirt :lol:

i found it in the lactivist shop (spelling?) which i found a link for on here - its such a good website with some cute shirts too :)

My avatar
jasmine b
Cloth Nappy Nutter
Cloth Nappy Nutter

Postby jasmine b » Wed Jun 02, 2010 6:37 pm

nappynutter wrote:A ten month old baby has no concept of getting their own way, so therefore cannot be spoilt. They have needs at that age (not wants) which need to be met.

Babies needs always come first in our house, so I agree you did the right thing. :)

thats exactly how i feel - MIL keeps telling me hes manipulating me and i give in too easily -but fins needs are the priority in our house too which is why i limit her visits as im so tired of her telling him he NEEDS to learn he cant have everything he wants and that hes naughty. silly woman. sounds silly but i sometimes lose my way a little and probably get influenced too much by what she thinks but to hear you all reinforce what i believe in has made me feel very very good about the way im bringing him up and that means a lot so thank you :hug:

Emma - i feel for you - you MIL sounds worse than mine and i didnt think that was possible! :giggle:

My avatar
northernruth
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox

Postby northernruth » Wed Jun 02, 2010 8:51 pm

There's no such thing as them "manipulating" you (I know I used this term in a recent post but I did say at the time that it's not what I meant!). They are just using the only method of communication they know how to let you know what they need.

Like I said before, it's nobody else's business how you choose to parent your child. Period!

My avatar
Orchid
Cloth Nappy Follower
Cloth Nappy Follower

Postby Orchid » Wed Jun 02, 2010 9:23 pm

Grrrr these mil's and busybodies make me so angry! I read about so many people having sleepless nights because they are battling with their babies to 'sleep train' them, leaving them to cry, rocking them etc. We cosleep here as well and so far my ds wakes up and I feed him back to sleep and there are no dramas. Why do we have to make life harder for ourselves by letting them cry by not picking them up? Do these people know someone who 'spoilt' their babies and what exactly was wrong with those children? I hate having to justify myself to others too. Jasmine I totally agree with how you are parenting . Don't listen to her!

My avatar
lazylexis
Cloth Nappy Worshipper
Cloth Nappy Worshipper

Postby lazylexis » Wed Jun 02, 2010 9:56 pm

I think relatives should mind their own business when it comes to advice.mine keep trying to persuade me to stop bf! I have started to put nathan in his buggy and highchair even when he complains about it though.
He's just over 1 and doesn't want to go in either atm and has started exerting his independence a bit i think.he will cry for about 10 secs and then is quite happy.he's too heavy to carry without the sling and we have no where else to put him to eat.i don't think it will do him any harm!but i realise that we all do things differently. We co sleep and i wouldn't dream of letting him cry it out or do controlled crying.if he carried on crying when i put him in the buggy/highchair beyond a protest /frustration cry then i'd take him out.go with what you feel is right.
They'll all learn at some point that you don't always get your own way!

My avatar
clothpixie
Cloth Nappy Fanatic
Cloth Nappy Fanatic

Postby clothpixie » Thu Jun 03, 2010 11:44 am

northernruth wrote:I'd have put her in the buggy in that situation, but I think it's a personal choice and it's YOUR choice to make, not up to her to make a comment really.

:giggle: At first I read this as put MIL in the buggy :oops: :hohoho:

My avatar
northernruth
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox

Postby northernruth » Thu Jun 03, 2010 12:40 pm

clothpixie wrote:
northernruth wrote:I'd have put her in the buggy in that situation, but I think it's a personal choice and it's YOUR choice to make, not up to her to make a comment really.

:giggle: At first I read this as put MIL in the buggy :oops: :hohoho:

:hohoho: well that'd shut her up - see how she likes it!!!!

My avatar
Miss_Purple
Cloth Nappy Aficionado
Cloth Nappy Aficionado

Postby Miss_Purple » Sun Jun 06, 2010 6:57 pm

lazylexis wrote:I think relatives should mind their own business when it comes to advice.mine keep trying to persuade me to stop bf! I have started to put nathan in his buggy and highchair even when he complains about it though.
He's just over 1 and doesn't want to go in either atm and has started exerting his independence a bit i think.he will cry for about 10 secs and then is quite happy.he's too heavy to carry without the sling and we have no where else to put him to eat.i don't think it will do him any harm!but i realise that we all do things differently. We co sleep and i wouldn't dream of letting him cry it out or do controlled crying.if he carried on crying when i put him in the buggy/highchair beyond a protest /frustration cry then i'd take him out.go with what you feel is right.
They'll all learn at some point that you don't always get your own way!

I think you are spot on lexis - there's a whole different world between a short frustration cry when we take something away or make them do something they don't want to, and a real upset prolonged cry for whatever reason. I will override the 1st too and tell DD to stop fussing, but I will never ever ignore the 2nd type. Mum knows best what type of cry and the personality of the child - unless MIL is the primary carer then they should just butt out!

Previous

Return to Growing Up