hf1

Not happy with comments made by the teacher

My avatar
twinkletot
Cloth Nappy Disciple
Cloth Nappy Disciple

Re: Not happy with comments made by the teacher

Postby twinkletot » Fri Jun 18, 2010 8:45 pm

nappynutter wrote:My reading of this is that she thinks he might have AS/ADD and she is testing the water with questions. She hasn't been very helpful though. She really should have arranged a proper face to face meeting with you to discuss the school's concerns and whether they think he needs to be referred.

Unfortunately, most schools are loathe to offer special needs support to children without a dx (actually even when they do have one), because of the funding issue so her suggestion that he doesn't go to the party doesn't surprise me. However, it's discrimination and it's not alowed so go and kick ass. :wink: :hug:

WSS that was my first thought when I read this too. I also agree that you should kick ass :hug:

My avatar
gilbertandmartha
Cloth Nappy Aficionado
Cloth Nappy Aficionado

Postby gilbertandmartha » Sat Jun 19, 2010 8:07 am

I havent read all the comments, but clowns scare the crap out of lots of kids.... so how will they accomodate any of the kids who are genuinly scared by the clown on the day?

My avatar
clothmama
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox
Site Admin

Postby clothmama » Sat Jun 19, 2010 11:38 am

That is rubbish as everyone else has said go and see them and go to the party if need be.

Mr CM is TERRIFIED of clowns :|

My avatar
Shevi
Cloth Nappy Passionata
Cloth Nappy Passionata

Postby Shevi » Sun Jun 20, 2010 1:58 pm

clothmama wrote:That is rubbish as everyone else has said go and see them and go to the party if need be.

Mr CM is TERRIFIED of clowns :|

when organising b day partys for both my boys more than 1 mummy each time has phoned and checked that there will be no one there who looks overtly clowny. apparently its a very common fear, tho not one i had heard of till other mummies brought it up.

Nappy nutter - i didn't mean to belittle anyone elses worries, but i know how it can be difficult to follow your own instincts when someone close to you (in my case dh) is telling you they think something is not right, even if you are quite sure this behaviour is not inhibiting a normal everyday life. I do agree that blinding yourself and not seeking help for your child which would be useful to them is not good for mummy or littlie :)

I also do agree that now the teacher has started the discussion it would be best to discuss everything in full.

My avatar
2climbingboys
Cloth Nappy Fanatic
Cloth Nappy Fanatic

Postby 2climbingboys » Sun Jun 20, 2010 10:45 pm

Well - thanks for your views I have sent the email and will wait for a response.

We wouldn't be annoyed at them discussing the possibility of him having special needs of some sort. But this should not have been done in front of him (and Blake) and I don't think he should be excluded from anything.

My avatar
Joaninha
Cloth Nappy Passionata
Cloth Nappy Passionata

Postby Joaninha » Mon Jun 21, 2010 8:37 am

The way this was done is very out of order!!!!

As far as I know, if one child has to be excluded, then none of the children should have access to things... When the nursery class went to the blue planet aquarium a few weeks ago, and some of the kids were not going, my DH (who is a teacher) mentioned that the trip should have been cancelled, as there were children who didn't go... If it had been a money issue (we were asked to contribute to the cost), then the school was obliged to find the funds for all the kids to go, or not hold the trip. i.e. they are not allowed to exclude children from activities held by the school, my understanding is they either all go, or no one goes!

Hope you find a resolution to this matter, and that the teacher learns both some diplomacy and to keep her mouth closed until it is appropriate to say something! :nono: :nono: at mentioning something in front of the children!

My avatar
beck
Cloth Nappy Ninky Nonk
Cloth Nappy Ninky Nonk

Postby beck » Tue Jun 22, 2010 10:22 am

Phebie is only a few months older and is absolutely terrified of loud noises. The vacuum is a melt down maker and does other things similar to what your saying. At her DC they simply take her (or any other child) away from what is causing upset to another room til they are ok. I completely agree that it's nonsense about there not being enough carers if there isn't they shouldn't be having the party in the first place. I personally think a clown is a very silly idea to have at a children's party.

My avatar
smilinglou
Cloth Nappy Addict
Cloth Nappy Addict

Postby smilinglou » Mon Jul 05, 2010 10:25 pm

:| that's not right at all, they should be finding ways to include him & loads of children are frightened of noises, what are they going to say when other children get scared at the party, are they going to kick the whole class out :roll: , there's so much that is wrong about what you've said about this teacher, why wasnt anything said after an incident occured rather than waiting this long without saying anything, and the negativity is all wrong, definetly meet up with the head, good luck i hope this gets sorted for you and your boy :hug: xx

Previous

Return to Growing Up