hf1

Legal school age - UK

My avatar
tiyuricc
Sucker for Cloth Nappies
Sucker for Cloth Nappies

Legal school age - UK

Postby tiyuricc » Thu Nov 25, 2010 2:48 pm

Is the legal requirement for full-time schooling age 5 or the term they turn 5?

Oscar's birthday is just after christmas, so will be 5 the first term he's at school and will be required to attend full-time. But the school we saw yesterday said for the first 2.5 weeks they split the classes in half, and each child only attends mornings or afternoons so that staff can get to know the kids better.

But I thought he had to be full-time from September, being the term he turns 5. Are they allowed to do that?

I do think it's good they want to get to know the kids, but it's a pain in the butt if I have to take 2.5 weeks of annual leave to account for it.

My avatar
Annette
Cloth Nappy Ninky Nonk
Cloth Nappy Ninky Nonk

Re: Legal school age - UK

Postby Annette » Thu Nov 25, 2010 2:53 pm

I think it is quite common to settle children in to reception like that. You are right though, it is a pain if you work - is there someone you can share the childcare with? This is what I did with a friend of mine so you don't have to take the whole time off

My avatar
Shaunie
Cloth Nappy Worshipper
Cloth Nappy Worshipper

Postby Shaunie » Thu Nov 25, 2010 3:00 pm

Like Annette said, it's quite common and is normal practice here. I'm yet to receive info but I know that when Jonah starts in Sept, he will only do mornings or afternoons for the first week or 2.

My avatar
Velvetsteph
Cloth Nappy Clanger
Cloth Nappy Clanger

Postby Velvetsteph » Thu Nov 25, 2010 3:02 pm

Thankfully ours didn't do that they were full time from day one but it seems to be quite unusual to be honest to do that - but for a child that's used to being at nursery full time it's a bit odd to suddenly pull them from a full time day to half days to 'settle them in'! :lol: But it doesn't occur to them that some parents work!

They weren't sure about letting her go to breakfast club straight away but she was fine with it... She started the afterschool club straight away too and again settled fine!

My avatar
becky1978
Cloth Nappy Fanatic
Cloth Nappy Fanatic

Postby becky1978 » Thu Nov 25, 2010 3:02 pm

I'm pretty sure the requirement is for the term in which they are 5. Ours go to school full time as soon as they start though, I think it differes from area to area.

My avatar
Scotia
Cloth Nappy Disciple
Cloth Nappy Disciple

Postby Scotia » Thu Nov 25, 2010 3:03 pm

It's the same for the first few weeks of term here too, well they start with mornings only. The children range in age from 4 1/2 to 5 1/2 (ish)

My avatar
tiyuricc
Sucker for Cloth Nappies
Sucker for Cloth Nappies

Postby tiyuricc » Thu Nov 25, 2010 3:20 pm

thanks folks.

we don't have family nearby, and doubt any of his friends will end up at the same school. i was considering requesting term-time working, but that would mean no chance of getting time off for half days. aaggghhh. what a pain. as steph said, he's used to being in nursery 8am-5pm, so he's going to wonder what on earth is going on if he suddenly only goes 2 or 3 hours, and i expect then returning to longer hours will be more difficult than a straight swap to that. ho hum.

no guarantee he'll get into that school, but being only 150 metres away, there's something wrong if he doesn't get in.

My avatar
Kirstyh
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox

Postby Kirstyh » Thu Nov 25, 2010 3:38 pm

Scotia wrote:It's the same for the first few weeks of term here too, well they start with mornings only. The children range in age from 4 1/2 to 5 1/2 (ish)

Different over our way, they only do half day for the first week which in reality is only 3 or 4 days. He doesn't "have" to go that term at all, if you feel he would better be deferred for a while until he is older then you can, some kids are not ready emotionally at that age x

My avatar
Scotia
Cloth Nappy Disciple
Cloth Nappy Disciple

Postby Scotia » Thu Nov 25, 2010 3:42 pm

Kirstyh wrote:
Scotia wrote:It's the same for the first few weeks of term here too, well they start with mornings only. The children range in age from 4 1/2 to 5 1/2 (ish)

Different over our way, they only do half day for the first week which in reality is only 3 or 4 days. He doesn't "have" to go that term at all, if you feel he would better be deferred for a while until he is older then you can, some kids are not ready emotionally at that age x

When we were in the Borders it was half days until the October break (I think it's less now though) but here it's until the September weekend, just about 4 weeks :D

Next

Return to Growing Up