Unauthorised absence from school

My avatar
Kirstyh
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox

Re: Unauthorised absence from school

Postby Kirstyh » Wed Jan 26, 2011 11:19 pm

northernruth wrote:
Kirstyh wrote:We always take out holiday during the school breaks and yes we do annoyingly have to pay a premium for it, travel companies should be ashamed of themselves x

It's just supply and demand, the nature of things is that they are cheaper when less people want them! Anything that is in short supply finds its own price......

And then their is the premium we have to pay flying from Scotland, would have upped our holiday cost by £1000 last year

My avatar
Amanda
Cloth Nappy Worshipper
Cloth Nappy Worshipper

Postby Amanda » Wed Jan 26, 2011 11:22 pm

northernruth wrote:
Kirstyh wrote:We always take out holiday during the school breaks and yes we do annoyingly have to pay a premium for it, travel companies should be ashamed of themselves x

It's just supply and demand, the nature of things is that they are cheaper when less people want them! Anything that is in short supply finds its own price......

Yes was going to reply that dh works in the travel industry, as did I before having kids, and while tour operators aren't completely guilt-free, a large proportion of the price hike comes from the suppliers - hotels, villa owners, boatyards, campsites, attractions, etc. The tour operator has to buy the products at a higher rate at peak times. Yes they do add a bit for themselves but they do work for it, bundling everything up into a package, producing brochures, answering phones, etc. They also have to add a percentage in for travel agent commission for those who prefer to book a holiday face-to-face rather than online. You can skip the middle men and go direct to the villa owner, theme park, whatever but you'll still pay more in high season. It isn't just the big travel companies.

Ruth, so much more succinct :lol:

My avatar
Kirstyh
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox

Postby Kirstyh » Wed Jan 26, 2011 11:26 pm

That is why we do it ourselves, it is so much cheaper than a package deal and being herded in with the masses to some hotel. We book an apartment on a luxury resort for much cheapness and then do our own flights, we do have to fly from Newcastle though. x

My avatar
JanX
Cloth Nappy Aficionado
Cloth Nappy Aficionado

Postby JanX » Thu Jan 27, 2011 8:31 pm

Just found this:

Parental Responsibility Section 7 Education Act 1996
It is the duty of the parent of every child of compulsory school age* to cause him or her to receive efficient full time education suitable:-
•To his/her age, ability and aptitude, and
•To any special educational needs he/ she may have, either by regular attendance at school or otherwise

*N.B., Compulsory school age begins at the start of the term following the child’s 5th birthday. The Education Act 1996 gives the Secretary of State power to fix the leaving date. Currently, this is the last Friday in June for all pupils who are become 16 years of age during Year 11.
There is no power for LA’s or Headteachers to vary this date.

If Connor will be under the 'Compulsory school age' then the school have no right to refuse and no follow up can occur.

Jan x

My avatar
nappynutter
Cloth Nappy Fanatic
Cloth Nappy Fanatic

Postby nappynutter » Thu Jan 27, 2011 8:45 pm

JanX wrote:Just found this:

Parental Responsibility Section 7 Education Act 1996
It is the duty of the parent of every child of compulsory school age* to cause him or her to receive efficient full time education suitable:-
•To his/her age, ability and aptitude, and
•To any special educational needs he/ she may have, either by regular attendance at school or otherwise

*N.B., Compulsory school age begins at the start of the term following the child’s 5th birthday. The Education Act 1996 gives the Secretary of State power to fix the leaving date. Currently, this is the last Friday in June for all pupils who are become 16 years of age during Year 11.
There is no power for LA’s or Headteachers to vary this date.

If Connor will be under the 'Compulsory school age' then the school have no right to refuse and no follow up can occur.

Jan x

Unfortunately not. As she has enrolled her child at school and he is attending, she has to abide by the rules of the school and the local authority. She could, however, remove her child from school to home educate. :wink:

My avatar
Shaunie
Cloth Nappy Worshipper
Cloth Nappy Worshipper

Postby Shaunie » Thu Jan 27, 2011 8:55 pm

All the other stuff aside, it's highly unlikely that the EWO for his school will do anything for 2 days, particularly if his record is good anyway. Perhaps you could ring the EWS and speak to your schools EWO?

My avatar
Annette
Cloth Nappy Ninky Nonk
Cloth Nappy Ninky Nonk

Postby Annette » Thu Jan 27, 2011 9:01 pm

The thing is, these rules are put in place to give some power in the situation where children are habitually absent from school and the parents are failing to do anything about it. As DH said, there is no way any action would be taken for a child in reception being absent for 2 days. And anybody with an ounce of sense would see that you applied for the 2 days off for the trip of a lifetime and it was refused.

I really do think that in reality there will be no consequences :wink:

My avatar
Shaunie
Cloth Nappy Worshipper
Cloth Nappy Worshipper

Postby Shaunie » Thu Jan 27, 2011 9:04 pm

Annette wrote:The thing is, these rules are put in place to give some power in the situation where children are habitually absent from school and the parents are failing to do anything about it. As DH said, there is no way any action would be taken for a child in reception being absent for 2 days. And anybody with an ounce of sense would see that you applied for the 2 days off for the trip of a lifetime and it was refused.

I really do think that in reality there will be no consequences :wink:

^^^ WSS

Having worked in schools (dealing with attendance issues) and knowing some of the EWO's as I do, I can't think of one who would not give permission for this.

My avatar
nappynutter
Cloth Nappy Fanatic
Cloth Nappy Fanatic

Postby nappynutter » Thu Jan 27, 2011 9:13 pm

Shaunie wrote:All the other stuff aside, it's highly unlikely that the EWO for his school will do anything for 2 days, particularly if his record is good anyway. Perhaps you could ring the EWS and speak to your schools EWO?

Yes, that's what I said in a previous post. It's likely that nothing will happen.

PreviousNext

Return to Growing Up