hf1

School attendance - How many days off is counted as alot?

My avatar
RUBY_1985
Clothie
Clothie

Re: School attendance - How many days off is counted as alot?

Postby RUBY_1985 » Wed Feb 02, 2011 2:35 pm

yea its 10 days since she started in September. I do know a kid in her class has been granted 10 days as holiday so if we were pulled up on it then at least can question that etc

My avatar
Shaunie
Cloth Nappy Worshipper
Cloth Nappy Worshipper

Postby Shaunie » Wed Feb 02, 2011 2:36 pm

I think it's a lot if that's since September but I do understand how it can happen. It really depends on the school also. They may be marking absences as authorised as oppose to unauthorised which can still mean a child has a high % attendance. Perhaps you could ask what her % attendance is. It used to be that EWO's were not involved unless it went below 85% but they may be be monitored by someone in the school before then. :D

My avatar
RUBY_1985
Clothie
Clothie

Postby RUBY_1985 » Wed Feb 02, 2011 2:40 pm

I dont understand what you mean about authorised and unathorised absence? If you dont ring in then is it counted as unathorised?

My avatar
VICKERSHOUSE
Cloth Nappy Addict
Cloth Nappy Addict

Postby VICKERSHOUSE » Wed Feb 02, 2011 2:49 pm

Perhaps our school is very lax then :-? DD1 had alot of time off last year due to hospital app and sickness and her % was down to about 80%, but it was never a problem, the school just wrote in her end of year report that they hoped her % would improve next year. Which it has :D

My avatar
JenKyleKaitlinRoo
Cloth Nappy Fanatic
Cloth Nappy Fanatic

Postby JenKyleKaitlinRoo » Wed Feb 02, 2011 3:01 pm

our school mark as authorised if they are phoned in and a note provided explaining why they were off or presentation of a hospital card etc unauthorised is marked where they are not called in or if you take them on holiday at the last minute or without good reason too.

My avatar
Shaunie
Cloth Nappy Worshipper
Cloth Nappy Worshipper

Postby Shaunie » Wed Feb 02, 2011 3:36 pm

It's not just based on if you ring in or not. If the school feel that too much time has been taken off, they may not authorise the absence. In some cases of absences, a Dr's cert can be asked for in order to authorise. The school should tell you when you ring if it's going to be marked as authorised absence or not though.

My avatar
Kirstyh
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox

Postby Kirstyh » Wed Feb 02, 2011 3:44 pm

JenKyleKaitlinRoo wrote:our school mark as authorised if they are phoned in and a note provided explaining why they were off or presentation of a hospital card etc unauthorised is marked where they are not called in or if you take them on holiday at the last minute or without good reason too.

Ours is the same

My avatar
jules070603
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox

Postby jules070603 » Wed Feb 02, 2011 3:56 pm

I'm not sure if that's a lot or not.

If it's Illness then I don't see what they can really say and if they would bring it up. If anyone says anything then the answer is that it's due to illness and I'm sure school don't want poorly children in class.

Personally I wouldn't worry about it. Zach had a week off with ear infections in his first half term plus a weeks planned holiday. I did feel a bit bad but it couldn't be helped, just very bad timing.

My avatar
JenKyleKaitlinRoo
Cloth Nappy Fanatic
Cloth Nappy Fanatic

Postby JenKyleKaitlinRoo » Wed Feb 02, 2011 4:02 pm

just dug out the school handbook. Last year the average absence for the LA was 17.6 so 8.5days. My Ds's school was 18.1 9days and on national stats it was 19.4 9.5 days per pupil. This includes authorised and unauthorised.

PreviousNext

Return to Growing Up