hf1

Christian school for non religious family?

My avatar
anothersquish
Cloth Nappy Addict
Cloth Nappy Addict

Re: Christian school for non religious family?

Postby anothersquish » Sun Jun 19, 2011 6:55 pm

Problem with that is that I would still want him in a different school, particularly as I imagine the lad that does the most of the bullying would get worse if he were only there part time. Secondly my health is unpredictable, I can be admitted to hospital randomly and any school may be more inflexible to having him random days of the week 'extra' than what was agreed or if I were just too ill to 'do' very much may well mess up any plans I made for him.
I would really prefer to take him out of school full stop....
completely O/T but does anyone use tutors? Im wondering if this would be the best compromise? He does LOTS of outside school activities and even if I were ill I could arrange extra tutoring...the problem with this being cost....

My avatar
Bluebell
Cloth Nappy Addict
Cloth Nappy Addict

Postby Bluebell » Sun Jun 19, 2011 7:20 pm

I would send him there! Sounds like a lovely school! We are not religious either. I think the school I went to was CofE, we had assembly/hymns/prayers, but they weren't pushy. We didn't really discuss religion apart from in RE lessons, and from what I understand, not many of us were actually religious/went to Sunday school or anything. There were some muslim children there too. Biology/evolution was taught as per the syllabus, just like RE. I think it was mainly up the parents to encourage religion, or not. We also learnt about other religions and Gods, not just Christianity. It wasn't really about fact/fiction more about the different faiths, how they are similar/different etc, and what different religions believe. I found it fairly interesting! I think if the ratio is 50:50 then I reckon that's good, I don't think I would want to send my child to a school where everyone else is religious TBH, but 50:50 is a good balance.

My avatar
monsterm
Cloth Nappy Worshipper
Cloth Nappy Worshipper

Postby monsterm » Sun Jun 19, 2011 7:24 pm

You could ask for him to be left out of RE

My avatar
scarlet
Cloth Nappy Aficionado
Cloth Nappy Aficionado

Postby scarlet » Sun Jun 19, 2011 7:40 pm

Some great advice ladies, Anothersquish please keep us updated!
I will keep you updated on my visit on Tuesday. I went to see a Montessori Nursery school a few weeks ago which I love but its quite far, walk, bus walk. So thought I best see some of the other one's before I register.
Its difficult, you want the best education for your LO but have to make compromises.

My avatar
nappynutter
Cloth Nappy Fanatic
Cloth Nappy Fanatic

Postby nappynutter » Sun Jun 19, 2011 7:41 pm

anothersquish wrote:Problem with that is that I would still want him in a different school, particularly as I imagine the lad that does the most of the bullying would get worse if he were only there part time. Secondly my health is unpredictable, I can be admitted to hospital randomly and any school may be more inflexible to having him random days of the week 'extra' than what was agreed or if I were just too ill to 'do' very much may well mess up any plans I made for him.
I would really prefer to take him out of school full stop....
completely O/T but does anyone use tutors? Im wondering if this would be the best compromise? He does LOTS of outside school activities and even if I were ill I could arrange extra tutoring...the problem with this being cost....

How about an au pair then?

My avatar
anothersquish
Cloth Nappy Addict
Cloth Nappy Addict

Postby anothersquish » Sun Jun 19, 2011 7:42 pm

Thing is with this school the whole lot is based around religion/god rather than just RE.
I wont make up my mind til I go and have a proper chat with the head teacher I dont think but in the meantime Ive spoken to my sister (who is a primary school teacher) and I mentioned that Morag had suggested flexi schooling and she said if needs be she can help with that at least in the short term as she knows I really want to sort something ASAP.
Plan is now to go speak to headmaster tomorrow and hopefully get to see his teacher and find out when they think are the most important times for him to be in school. I think aiming for four half days or one full and three half would be the best idea, talking to eldest they seem to do most of the 'work' in the mornings for eg. Mondays they tend to do writing/maths in the morning and then computer room/smart board stuff in the afternoon.

My avatar
anothersquish
Cloth Nappy Addict
Cloth Nappy Addict

Postby anothersquish » Sun Jun 19, 2011 7:50 pm

I dont think an au pair would suit us!! If I go into hospital I often discharge myself the next day, if I am unwell my mother can help with the kids (she is my reg carer) but she also works full time and wouldnt be able to do much on the education front, though she has said she would really like to do some 'trips' with him to museums etc.
I wonder if having him in school mornings would be easier IF I were in hospital/unwell as it would give time to organise some alternatives for afternoon sessions.
Sorry for being a bit disjointed, running it through my head as I type as I hadnt thought of/considered/known about flexi schooling as an option but having gotten over my initial reaction it probably would work as long as we were prepared....

My avatar
northernruth
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox

Postby northernruth » Sun Jun 19, 2011 8:08 pm

It's a myth that all Christians believe in Creationism - most think it's nonsense and Genesis is an allegory. Martha goes to a Baptist pre school and whilst I am vaguely uncomfortable with the constant God references they are good people. I would expect if it's 50:50 then they are comfortable with non believers. I'd discuss your concerns with the headteacher and also if they would be amenable to the flexi schooling idea. As the product of a Catholic education (and fully conversant with the laws of evolution :wink: ) I would welcome the moral side of a religious education as long as it is focussed on the positive - being kind, helping those less fortunate, not being judgemental etc etc.

My avatar
Asta
Cloth Nappy Addict
Cloth Nappy Addict

Postby Asta » Sun Jun 19, 2011 8:09 pm

For the record not all Christians deny evolution, in fact the majority (in my experience) find evolution in complete harmony with their Christian beliefs.

I don't see any reason not to send him, but I think perhaps sending him to a Christian school and then asking him to be excluded from any Christian activity would be hypocritical and possible propagate more bullying.

I hope you find a solution that works for both of you :)

PreviousNext

Return to Growing Up