hf1

Biting nails

My avatar
ulig
Cloth Nappy Nutter
Cloth Nappy Nutter

Biting nails

Postby ulig » Sun Jul 17, 2011 7:49 pm

How do I stop my 3 year old from biting his nails? He's always been a chewer and liked to chew up different kinds of plastic pieces like wheels of toy cars or the telly remote. Now he discovered that he can bite his nails :x I've never actually seen him doing it, but I noticed the last two weeks that his nails didn't grow anymore and had rough edges. I suspect he's doing while watching telly or in bed just before he falls asleep. Is there a way I can stop him before it really gets a habit?

My avatar
girlinleeds
Cloth Nappy Guru
Cloth Nappy Guru

Re: Biting nails

Postby girlinleeds » Sun Jul 17, 2011 7:52 pm

No idea but pippa has started as well i looked at the stuff you can buy but its for over 5 years old only x

My avatar
tiyuricc
Sucker for Cloth Nappies
Sucker for Cloth Nappies

Postby tiyuricc » Sun Jul 17, 2011 7:56 pm

ds started biting nails when he was about 3. we made such a big deal out of cutting his nails every sunday night... even if there wasnt anything there we went through the motions. and made a big deal out of the ones that were longer 'yeah, that was a great one' that sort of thing.

after a couple of weeks he'd stopped. the biting had been going on for about 6 months before he tried that. mind you, as soon as fingers were removed from mouth they spent just as much time in his nose instead :roll:

My avatar
ulig
Cloth Nappy Nutter
Cloth Nappy Nutter

Postby ulig » Sun Jul 17, 2011 8:02 pm

tiyuricc wrote:as soon as fingers were removed from mouth they spent just as much time in his nose instead :roll:

I know :roll: He's also a nose picker.

My avatar
Miss_Purple
Cloth Nappy Aficionado
Cloth Nappy Aficionado

Postby Miss_Purple » Mon Jul 18, 2011 6:19 am

I don't think you can stop them. my parents and relatives tried everything to get me to stop biting mine, but I was 32 before I finally did

My avatar
sportyminx
Cloth Nappy Addict
Cloth Nappy Addict

Postby sportyminx » Mon Jul 18, 2011 11:15 am

No idea sadly - Bradley is nearly 6 and a terrible nail biter :cry: we have tried everything, it works for a few weeks then he falls back to the habit - the stop'n'grow stuff did work, but not long term :-?
Poor boy ended up with an infection in his finger, he has cream and white cotton gloves for a week, was so sore and horrible - but still he went back to biting his nail :x

I am also at a loss of what to do!

My avatar
Kirstyh
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox

Postby Kirstyh » Mon Jul 18, 2011 11:54 am

Urgh Anna bits hers, she has revolting stumps for finger nails, I love my nails so find it particularly gross, she aslo bites her toe nails as well :twisted:

My avatar
girlinleeds
Cloth Nappy Guru
Cloth Nappy Guru

Postby girlinleeds » Mon Jul 18, 2011 12:17 pm

Kirstyh wrote:Urgh Anna bits hers, she has revolting stumps for finger nails, I love my nails so find it particularly gross, she aslo bites her toe nails as well :twisted:

pippa was sat biting her toe nails as well yesterday :puke: i was a nail bitter until i left school the day after i just stopped guess it was a stress thing

My avatar
ulig
Cloth Nappy Nutter
Cloth Nappy Nutter

Postby ulig » Mon Jul 18, 2011 12:52 pm

Looks like I'll just have to ignore it. He's only been doing it for maybe 2 weeks and I was hoping there was something I could do before it really gets a habit.

Next

Return to Growing Up